Heading to the Homestead

Say "howdy" and let everyone know who you are
Forum rules
MNGUNTALK is a real-life community, and as such, we'd love to hear who you are and learn what knowledge you have to offer. Post whatever details about yourself you feel comfortable with, and make sure to check out any events that are happening if you want to meet people in person.

Re: Heading to the Homestead

Postby Ironbear on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:59 am

photogpat wrote:Ear protection - Howard Leight Impact electronic muffs: http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Imp ... pact+sport

Opinions vary....

Hearing protection can be a matter of preference. The electronic muffs provided in the link above, have a base NRR (noise reduction rating) of 22 db. Personally I don't find that to be enough sound reduction for rifles, powerful handguns, and any indoor shooting. I have also tried cheaper electronic muffs and did not find them beneficial for target and general purpose shooting (I haven't had a chance to try some higher end ones, so... can't comment on those). If I hunted, I would probably invest in some e-muffs, or Game Ear type electronic earplugs

My preference is toward a 26db and up muff. Here are the ones I use:
3M Peltor Sport
I like them because they are simple, do a good job, and fold up somewhat compactly. I use them for more than shooting and they have stood up for years!

If I ever have to buy another pair, I would probably get these.
3M Peltor Sport Ultimate 10
My wife has a pair of these, without the fold-up feature, but she never gets to use them since my 7 year old prefers them!
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby my1stpistol on Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:50 pm

Last edited by my1stpistol on Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
my1stpistol

Postby photogpat on Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:51 pm

Ironbear wrote:
photogpat wrote:Ear protection - Howard Leight Impact electronic muffs: http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Imp ... pact+sport

Opinions vary....

Hearing protection can be a matter of preference. The electronic muffs provided in the link above, have a base NRR (noise reduction rating) of 22 db. Personally I don't find that to be enough sound reduction for rifles, powerful handguns, and any indoor shooting. I have also tried cheaper electronic muffs and did not find them beneficial for target and general purpose shooting (I haven't had a chance to try some higher end ones, so... can't comment on those). If I hunted, I would probably invest in some e-muffs, or Game Ear type electronic earplugs

My preference is toward a 26db and up muff. Here are the ones I use:
3M Peltor Sport
I like them because they are simple, do a good job, and fold up somewhat compactly. I use them for more than shooting and they have stood up for years!

If I ever have to buy another pair, I would probably get these.
3M Peltor Sport Ultimate 10
My wife has a pair of these, without the fold-up feature, but she never gets to use them since my 7 year old prefers them!

Based on his intended scenario of woods usage and light shooting - I had recommended the electronic muffs so as to keep him aware of his surroundings as well.

For continuous range-type shooting, a passive muff, or doubling up with plugs and muffs is my standard.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Ironbear on Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:01 pm

Based on his scenario of guns, chainsaws, other noisy tools, and kids.... I recommended something with low complexity, high reliability, high NRR, no batteries, and no electronics. :D

As for fitting kids, I've plonked regular adult muffs on infants and small children* without problem. I haven't found any need to get "special" muffs for kids.

*I always take a pair or two of muffs to fireworks shows, and usually save some poor kid's (and their parents') evening.

One item that may be important to the OP... The downside to the over-the-head types is that while you can use them with a ball cap, they don't really work with a brimmed hat (which is why I end up with ear plugs on the lawn mower). I've though about getting some of the behind-the-head types but my present ones are still in good shape.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby hammAR on Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:02 pm

If you are worried/concerned about bears/large predators I would rethink that 9mm............
like an EAA SAR-K2 .45 ACP 15-rounds only $369. CDNN Sports
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby homestead on Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:08 pm

thanks for all the great comments! Today I applied for a PTP.

I now know AR-15 vs. shotgun for home defense is an ongoing debate - live and learn. On the homestead it does seem like between the two, assuming I can use it properly, the AR-15 might be the better way to go. And portable enough that we could bring it with us if we feel like we might have an encounter...

I will take the advice not to worry about a small single stack for concealment, at least for now.

Also, I appreciate the advice to get a 22 rifle. Fortunately my Great Uncle handed one down through the family that I shot as a kid, so I will have that on hand.

BTW I had never heard of Alex Pro Firearms, that is cool to see an MN machine shop turning out complete rigs. Does anyone have one of the econos? A friend also suggested PSA to order parts to build something, but I don't know well enough what I 'need' for this application to know what I'd get.

For a local shop I had been thinking of going to DKMAGS as we have family in the area. Any experience with them? Any other good shops around the SE cities (where we are currently as we transition)?

I have a 3 of the Peltor Ultimate 10's on the way to have on hand, and will probably end up with an electric set too, for myself.

What do you guys use to secure your nightstand pistol? This is to be kept ready for action I assume, but secure from little ones accidentally getting to it. This might be a silly question but do you keep hearing protection there too (so you don't have to choose between survival and hearing)?
homestead

Postby fine ape on Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:29 pm

I've never been to DKs shop before, but I've done business with them at the Hutchinson and MNWC gun shows. Bought a used USP 40 and quite a few mags from them. The owner (short, glasses, thinning hair) seems like a nice guy willing to deal on his used guns.

As for securing the nightstand gun I got SpeedVault svb 500.
http://www.gunvault.com/speedvault-biometric-svb500.html
Guns are not the problem, people are the problem. And short of lobotomizig everyone who has a bad thought they will continue to be for the forseeable future.
fine ape

Postby Hmac on Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:41 am

homestead wrote:
What do you guys use to secure your nightstand pistol? This is to be kept ready for action I assume, but secure from little ones accidentally getting to it. This might be a silly question but do you keep hearing protection there too (so you don't have to choose between survival and hearing)?

Weigh your benefits of a "nightstand pistol" against the risks. Unfettered access to firearms by 9-year-olds and younger is a dangerous proposition.

I don't keep hearing protection nearby (actually, I don't keep a firearm nearby either - they're locked up in a safe and out of the reach of potential tragedy). I am aware of the common home defense fantasy of some kind of protracted firefight in the home, but the likelihood of ever firing your gun inside your home is extremely remote, and the resultant likelihood of shooting it inside your home enough to damage hearing is even more remote. I recommend simplicity.
Hmac

Postby shooter115 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:07 am

With a 4 year old in the home I keep my guns locked up. One of them right on my nightstand in a Gunvault. http://www.gunvault.com/gun-safes/minivault.html/
shooter115

Postby homestead on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:19 am

locking safe (bedside, closet, basement, wherever) is exactly what I had in mind, thanks for the recommendations. That helps me get a feel for what overall cost we should prepare for. I will say we have never been a household with covers on all the outlets, locks on the kitchen cabinets, etc. (and neither were my parents for that matter...) and the kids have gotten along fine. But for the record I'm not suggesting having a loaded weapon readily accessible by the kids that is not locked up, whether it be in a truck, in a closet, etc.

BTW I did find a shop on Bergquist Rd. in Duluth, Ultimate Arms N Ammo, but some of the price quotes I received via email seem excessively high. Maybe this is a common practice.

Thanks again to all for the well wishes. We'll be up there this weekend and next getting a feel for the place! I will try to share some photos so you all are along for the ride.

Anyone into shoring up foundations? There is a 'historic' smaller cabin on the property that was moved to its current location. A friend suggested using 4 helical piers, but whatever we use, I need to build a foundation for it in-place.

Cheers!
homestead

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:49 am

Good suggestions here. I'd also recommend a security system with smoke and fire detection and a driveway sensor. I don't know how far in the country you are moving and how far away your nearest neighbor will be, but it is a great idea to get to know them and don't be afraid to go bearing gifts. Your neighbors can be your best asset for keeping an eye on things when you aren't home, loaning you equipment that you haven't yet acquired, etc. Having grown up "in the woods" most people are very friendly and although they seem a little "self contained" if you are kind and respectful they will be there for you when you need them.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby homestead on Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:19 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Good suggestions here. I'd also recommend a security system with smoke and fire detection and a driveway sensor. I don't know how far in the country you are moving and how far away your nearest neighbor will be, but it is a great idea to get to know them and don't be afraid to go bearing gifts. Your neighbors can be your best asset for keeping an eye on things when you aren't home, loaning you equipment that you haven't yet acquired, etc. Having grown up "in the woods" most people are very friendly and although they seem a little "self contained" if you are kind and respectful they will be there for you when you need them.

Driveway sensor - that is a great idea. While we transition there will be periods when we won't be around possibly for a few weeks at a time. But fortunately, and uniquely, these remote areas of Lake County which once were completely off-grid now have access to fiber optic connections. So you end up with an off-grid capable place with grid backup and a nice fast Internet connection. I plan to add various monitoring (temperature) and a camera or two I'll be able to check while we are away.

Also good advice to get to know the neighbors. It's funny, we've sort of forgotten that in the Internet age. So many times you see the car roll up the drive into the garage, door close behind them, and that's it. Maybe when you are in a place where you have no choice but to depend on one another, relationships are more prevalent. I'm looking forward to it although it doesn't come naturally!

This particular area seems especially close-knit. Before we even considered the place I started tracking down various names from the plat book to collect information on what it was really like out there, and everyone was gracious. Should be fun.

Update on my purchase situation: I've got a Glock 19 gen 4 on hold at DKMAGS pending PTP, and so it begins...
homestead

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:34 am

I'm surprised lever action carbine / revolver combinations (.357 or .44 magnum in particular) aren't more popular for this application; one ammunition type to buy and store, the relative ease of reloading straight wall pistol cartridges, compatibility with black powder, and "self-cast bullet friendliness," and, at least with the .44 magnum, plenty of punch to give you protection from the larger 2 and 4-legged critters... A pump action 12 gauge and .22 LR rifle in some flavor should also be in pretty much everyone's safe.

For your .22's, look at the Ruger American Rimfire and the Ruger 10/22 "design contest winner" as both use the interchangeable stock pads that let you vary the length of pull and comb height to make it easier to configure the rifle for small/young or adult shooters alike. Both use the 10/22 rotary magazines which is also a plus ... and if you buy one of each, one in full-size and the other in youth will give you the complete set of 4 stock size inserts for pretty much any optics/shooter size configuration.

For running a chainsaw, I usually run the same earmuffs and eyepro I wear shooting with my little "Barbie's first" 18" Stihl, but think something like this http://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-ProFore ... B0030MIHBY to give you some protection from a kickback and/or falling branches that might not be a bad idea along with some chaps, particularly for an inexperienced operator if you are going to teach your kids. Getting hurt once with a chainsaw costs a lot more than a few bucks for properly designed safety equipment.

On the topic of homesteading, I'm a big fan of this guy's youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/wranglerstar
yuppiejr

Postby Ghost on Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:03 am

yuppiejr wrote:I'm surprised lever action carbine / revolver combinations (.357 or .44 magnum in particular) aren't more popular for this application; one ammunition type to buy and store,

That's a good idea. My blackhawk convertible (9mm/357) has been begging me for a suppressed lever gun. :twisted:
Ghost

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions