New gun owner

Say "howdy" and let everyone know who you are
Forum rules
MNGUNTALK is a real-life community, and as such, we'd love to hear who you are and learn what knowledge you have to offer. Post whatever details about yourself you feel comfortable with, and make sure to check out any events that are happening if you want to meet people in person.

New gun owner

Postby Kenar on Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:40 pm

Hey every one how's it going? I am a new gun owner, I am taking my conceal carry class in the beginning of April. I am looking to buy a handgun, although I may wait until after the class. I did buy a DPMS Oracle though, I plan to build my next AR and actually am very excited about it. I bought the DPMS as a cheap back up and to get familiar with that style gun.

I have spent most of my life in Minnesota, although I am new to the north shore. So if any one knows of some where I can go to shoot, up in the Two Harbors/Duluth area I would appreciate a point in the right direction.

Any way just stopping in to say hi, now to go soak up some knowledge from the forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kenar

Re: New gun owner

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:45 pm

Welcome from a displaced Iron Ranger.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby shooter115 on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:59 pm

Welcome from out in the middle of nowhere in west central MN.
shooter115

Postby Hmac on Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:11 pm

Training. After you get your handgun permit, you'll need to find someone to teach you to use it safely and effectively as a self-defense tool. Without that training, your handgun and rifle are far more dangerous to you and your family than any potential malefactor.
Hmac

New gun owner

Postby Kenar on Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:22 pm

Hmac wrote:Training. After you get your handgun permit, you'll need to find someone to teach you to use it safely and effectively as a self-defense tool. Without that training, your handgun and rifle are far more dangerous to you and your family than any potential malefactor.

I most definitely understand this. The reason I am buying a gun now is because I am at a point in my life where I can own one responsibly. The same with motorcycles, I got my license a few years ago, I am now 35 btw. I only got the AR now because I am comfortable with rifles more than handguns as I shot all styles while growing up. Also I really want to get in there as I love to tinker and learn about mechanical devices. Oh and also to shoot it.

Even though I will be getting my permit to carry I have no intentions of doing so until better trained and more comfortable with handguns and even then I may not. I am looking to buy to shoot for fun, not for home defense, they will be locked up at home, however doesn't mean I won't take some self defense or safety classes for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kenar

Postby Pat Cannon on Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:58 am

I'd highly recommend IDPA competition. It's a great shakedown of you and your gear and it's fun fun fun. I googled "idpa duluth" and the Northwestern Gun Club looks pretty nice. http://www.nwgc-duluth.com/idpa.html

A bonus of being in a league is you don't have to be a club member to shoot there. Maybe they have open-to-the-public hours anyway, I don't know.
Pat Cannon

Postby jshuberg on Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:26 pm

Hmac wrote:Training. After you get your handgun permit, you'll need to find someone to teach you to use it safely and effectively as a self-defense tool. Without that training, your handgun and rifle are far more dangerous to you and your family than any potential malefactor.

^^^ This

Owning a gun doesn't make you armed anymore than owning a paintbrush makes you an artist. If you're going to carry, you should train as often as your schedule and finances allow.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby homestead on Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:05 pm

Kenar wrote:I have spent most of my life in Minnesota, although I am new to the north shore. So if any one knows of some where I can go to shoot, up in the Two Harbors/Duluth area I would appreciate a point in the right direction.

Hi! We have a forest homestead just North of Two Harbors, although we are still in St. Paul part time as we make the transition. Are you closer to Duluth or Two Harbors?
homestead

New gun owner

Postby Kenar on Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:08 pm

homestead wrote:
Kenar wrote:I have spent most of my life in Minnesota, although I am new to the north shore. So if any one knows of some where I can go to shoot, up in the Two Harbors/Duluth area I would appreciate a point in the right direction.

Hi! We have a forest homestead just North of Two Harbors, although we are still in St. Paul part time as we make the transition. Are you closer to Duluth or Two Harbors?

I live and work in Two Harbors, in the next year or so I am looking to buy some land near here and build a place.
Kenar

Postby Kenar on Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:10 am

So I moved to Burnsville and am looking for a couple things. 1 a range for shooting my rifles, during the winter (indoor or outdoor), and a local gun store.

Thanks
Kenar

Postby photogpat on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:00 am

Kenar wrote:So I moved to Burnsville and am looking for a couple things. 1 a range for shooting my rifles, during the winter (indoor or outdoor), and a local gun store.

Thanks

Burnsville Pistol (also allows rifles on the long bay)
Stock and Barrel

Gun shops you have Southwest Arms in Savage...ThunderJohn Snyder is a member here and an all around nice guy.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Pat Cannon on Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:16 pm

Kenar wrote:So I moved to Burnsville and am looking for a couple things. 1 a range for shooting my rifles, during the winter (indoor or outdoor), and a local gun store.

Thanks

Back in 2007 I made a map for my own use, which I've updated occasionally since: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 1&z=9&om=1

Here's the original post & discussion.
Pat Cannon

Return to Introductions