Thanks for the info...

Say "howdy" and let everyone know who you are
Forum rules
MNGUNTALK is a real-life community, and as such, we'd love to hear who you are and learn what knowledge you have to offer. Post whatever details about yourself you feel comfortable with, and make sure to check out any events that are happening if you want to meet people in person.

Thanks for the info...

Postby ball3011 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:10 pm

... I've been watching for a bit here and learned a few things! Thank you all for that!

I've been here in MN for about 13 years now and around hunting most of my life. My dad instilled quite a level of respect for both firearms and hunting from a young age so I'm a bit of a safety and hunting ethics freak. I have rifles, shotguns, handguns and just picked up my first AR... S&W AR 15-22 :) Its a fun little firearm.

I'll be chiming in here and there where I think I might add some value. Also a question or two when they pop up.

My next "journey" will be into reloading, starting with pistol ammo and onto high power rifle rounds eventually. Not sure of the expertise here on that side of things, but I'm sure its out there.

Again, thanks for all that I have gained already!

Robb
ball3011

Re: Thanks for the info...

Postby mmcnx2 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:53 pm

We have a strong group of reloaders here, from educators to trolls. We have one gentleman here that has been known to offer hands on tutoring and a wealth of experience. We also have a few folks that will jump on you pretty hard if you don't do some research first. Take it all in stride, it is the internet. Welcome from Greenfield. I'm a handgun gun guy mostly, do a little upland bird hunting, and did rifle years ago. Also fish and ride in my free time.
mmcnx2

Thanks for the info...

Postby ball3011 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:25 pm

Thanks for the kind words!! I've learned enough in life to research like crazy on things before I dive in! I'll look around the forums a bit to see what I can find on reloading as well!
ball3011

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:42 pm

Welcome from Osceola, Wisconsin.

And yes, I train for reloading for FREE - check the REVIEWS section in this Forum.

Contact me if you wish.
OldmanFCSA

Postby shooter115 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:02 pm

Welcome from West central MN, Robb. If you are interested in reloading I'd urge you to take oldman up on his generous offer. While a good reloading manual is mandatory, a good reloading mentor is worth a dozen manuals. Feel free to post up any questions, the helpful ones will help where they can.
shooter115

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:41 am

If interested in my free training, consider that I do have a few strict rules that must be followed.
I will cover those in a PM if you contact me. They are common sense rules for the security of BOTH parties.

My weekends are filling up fast, not for reloading classes, but for shooting competitions I will be attending this year, weather and finance permitting. I have had my arm twisted to attend the Steel Shoots this year, although my practice session has proven that I am a piss-poor pistol shooter and may need to bring my GP100 with speed-loaders to compete at any level. My main interest is shooting my 50BMG target rifles in FCSA 1000 yard Match Competitions held around the country although two have already been cancelled due to weather (one in Shreveport had its range washed away during recent floods there), and another friend here in Wisconsin wants me to compete in Tactical Shoots of unknown distances which means digging out the 280Rem and 7mmRemMag for further practice at distance.

I reload about 47 different cartridge types although I have sold some of my rifles and currently only have ability to shoot 15 different cartridge types.

What cartridges do you wish to reload? I am currently setup to load 9mm Luger and 223/5.56X45 on both single stage and on Dillon 550 progressives. If known in advance, I can set up Dillon's for other cartridge types assuming I have those reloading dies, expanders and base-plates. If you need to reload a cartridge for which I don't have dies, you will need to provide dies, shell-holder, cases, bullets, and rifle/pistol/revolver for testing purposes. Certain people, after receiving my training, may be invited back to use my equipment until they get setup on their own equipment. Several members here on MN Gun Talk have taken advantage of this offer as it leads into more training detailed to your specific cartridges.

The choice is yours.

Time for me to get back to the three 50BMG rifles I have torn apart in my shop, one for glass-bedding the action on a State Arms rifle into a Manners carbon-fiber stock and re-bluing the barrel, another ArmaLite AR-50 National Match for a stock modification involving lengthening forearm 8" and having ability to adjust bi-pod mounting height, modifying and solidly mounting a rear mono-pod, and modifying stock for take-down to fit normal sized carrying cases, and the last rifle which is my highly modified ArmaLite AR-50 needs to have the 34" Feddersen barrel set back and re-chambered due to burning out throat while testing ammo capable of shooting 2-miles and staying supersonic, which involved shooting 800 grain bore-riders at 3200 fps and factoring in environmental conditions at the shooting range. (NRA Whittington Center in Raton, NM.) http://www.fcsa.org
OldmanFCSA

Postby ball3011 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:25 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:If interested in my free training, consider that I do have a few strict rules that must be followed.
I will cover those in a PM if you contact me. They are common sense rules for the security of BOTH parties.
...due to burning out throat while testing ammo capable of shooting 2-miles and staying supersonic, which involved shooting 800 grain bore-riders at 3200 fps and factoring in environmental conditions at the shooting range. (NRA Whittington Center in Raton, NM.) http://www.fcsa.org

OldmanFCSA... Unbelievably generous offer and one that I hope I can take you up on someday!!! Life is a bit crazy right now with a recent retirement to focus on my family a bit and all the things that go with that. Clearly you have a TON of knowledge that I will likely never obtain in whole but would certainly appreciate leveraging. Right now, my focus was going to be on 9mm and 45ACP to start (my two handgun calibers). My frequency of shooting the bigger Weatherby 270/7mm/300 mag rounds isn't very high, and when I do get into those calibers, it will likely be for ballistics purposes (and I'll likely leave the 7mm alone since the accuracy of my current rifle / ammo combination has been incredible for decades).

There are so many opinions out there, that wading through things is tough, so I apologize in advance for any dumb questions and also thank you in advance for any knowledge that you or anyone here are able to send my way!

Robb
ball3011

Postby OldmanFCSA on Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:31 am

I have reloading dies for 270 and 300 Weatherby Magnums, although they belong to another shooter. I would need his approval before use, but see no problem with that. I recommend using Nosler AccuBond projectiles for this class of firepower.
OldmanFCSA

Postby ball3011 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:52 pm

When I get there, I'll definitely be in touch, certainly on the Weatherby dies! I can't imagine that they are common or anything to "tryout" without quite a bit of mentoring / experience! (I don't really like shooting the 300 WbyMag to begin with!)
ball3011

Return to Introductions