WWII collector, been lurking here

Say "howdy" and let everyone know who you are
Forum rules
MNGUNTALK is a real-life community, and as such, we'd love to hear who you are and learn what knowledge you have to offer. Post whatever details about yourself you feel comfortable with, and make sure to check out any events that are happening if you want to meet people in person.

WWII collector, been lurking here

Postby DARIVS ARCHITECTVS on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:44 pm

Hello fellow Minnesotans! (Hi DORIAN!)

Some of you may know me, but most don't. I'm a moderator on http://www.mg42.us (where I'm usually found). My interest in guns comes from the historical angle, not from the more common pistol carry gunowner. I collect all sorts of weapons, shoot WWII rifles and machineguns (particularly German ones), and host a annual private shoot near Redwing where we get to try out each others rifles, pistols and machineguns and generally have a great time. There is no machinegunners forum here, probably because there aren't that that many machinegunners around, but I just wanted to say hi to those here who were at the shoot this year. Here are some vids of last year's shoot for the other forum members.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCSqAT20uHI&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIKCWRsazqk&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wvos4dNSDg&feature=channel_page

I restore WWII rifles and machineguns among many other hobbies involving weaponsmithing and collecting from all time periods from Medieval to modern. If anyone has an interest in WWII firearms or wants to plan a shoot some weekend, look me up. Here is my personal website: http://www.stormthewalls.kicks-ass.net/

Kurt
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS

Re: WWII collector, been lurking here

Postby lenny7 on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:22 am

Is that a ballista in the second photo? As I recall, you replied when I posted about my son & I building a trebuchet. Sure wish I had time to build more medieval weapons.
lenny7

Postby DeanC on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:27 am

lenny7 wrote:Is that a ballista in the second photo?

For the ultimate game of lawn darts.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby Q_Continuum on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:54 am

DeanC wrote:
lenny7 wrote:Is that a ballista in the second photo?

For the ultimate game of lawn darts.

Or water-balloon toss. (Yup, we made 'em at a Boy Scout Junior Leadership Training camp, out of nothing but sticks and rope....and yes, we hit our counsel....errr....targets, repeatedly)
Q_Continuum

Postby DARIVS ARCHITECTVS on Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:22 pm

That is a Greek ballista c.250 BC, one of only three known working ones. It took me about two years to build from ash hardwood and iron. It hurls a 3 pound stone stone accurately over 265 yards. I just sold it to a friend in Texas. It'll be on display in an educational catapult park. I have many weapons from all time periods, all working and all fun.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS

Postby Belgiboy on Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:39 pm

An educational catapult park??? That is just AWESOME :D
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Postby gman1868 on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:07 pm

Welcome kanigget

Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby Bessy on Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:27 pm

Is that a ballista.....? OMG....WOW. Very cool. Welcome
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Postby Thunderjohn on Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:30 pm

Welcome from Savage.
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Postby David on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:55 am

Greetings! You sound like my kinda guy. I only have a dozen or so WWII firearms (and a pretty nice selection of bayonets and combat knives), but it's something I want to get more into.

Oh, I'm going to Europe in September, and one of my stops is Belfast, Northern Ireland. I know a guy who is a re-enactor there, and I'd like to bring him something for his collection that he's not likely to be able to get easily over there, maybe valued at $100 or less. He's got mainly U.K. stuff, including some nice vehicles, but I'd like to get his something American. Ideas? Thanks!
David

Postby DARIVS ARCHITECTVS on Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:32 pm

A dozen WWII weapons is still more than I have, though some of mine are expensive in the extreme for us working folk. Here's an idea for a gift for your Irish buddy. Get an M1 Garand bayonet, or an American WWII canteen, the one with the "U.S." printed on the insulating cover. A GI Helmet is also a great idea. All of these items may be located through contacts with Allied reenactors, but are in demand. You may get lucky and find what you are looking for quickly. Best place to look: WWII Reenacting websites in the FOR SALE forum. Too bad you can't give him a real M1 Garand. You don't get much more "American" than that! :mrgreen:
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS

Postby David on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:13 pm

No kidding! I was thinking a bayonet as well, but I wasn't sure how difficult it would be to get into Northern Ireland with that. They have some interesting rules regarding knives, and an absurd two-gun maximum law. I suppose they think someone might try to shoot three at one time? So I'm looking into the bayonet/knife thing, and I actually have an extra M3 combat knife. If I can bring it over I might just give him that. Failing that, I love the canteen idea. That would be small enough to fit in my suitcase for sure.

Regarding my WWII firearms, I was lucky enough to get into it (albeit half-heartedly) maybe ten years ago, so the examples I have were relatively inexpensive then. My completely correct and original M1A1 paratrooper carbine, which I bought for $950, comes to mind, as does my Luger, correct and original M1903A3, K98k, and others, all of which were garden variety surplus collectable guns back then. The prices on some of that stuff has gotten pretty crazy now. I did bite the bullet and shell out for a nearly original 1941 Johnson last year, which is normally the most expensive American WWII non-NFA gun you can buy, but I got a ridiculous deal on it, so it doesn't count as "extreme" in the cost department. I'd love to see your collection! I don't have anything full-auto, and nothing German that you can't find easily enough.

Anyway, I know a few hardcore reenactors, so I'll look into that. Thanks!
David

Postby DARIVS ARCHITECTVS on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:26 am

Sounds like you got some of the nicest WWII arms while the getting was good, several years ago. I am a relative latecomer to gun collecting compared to most of you folks, having spent many more years making medieval armour and weapons and have been a pretty serious reenactor for several historical periods. You're welcome to come over for a visit sometime, check out my collection and take shop. Maybe you can make it to next years's Redwing machinegun, rifle and pistol shoot. It's usually held in June or July. This year's was particularly bit in attendance and variety of firearms that people brought. The video from that event is stioll being worked on.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS

Return to Introductions