Barking for the first time

Say "howdy" and let everyone know who you are
Forum rules
MNGUNTALK is a real-life community, and as such, we'd love to hear who you are and learn what knowledge you have to offer. Post whatever details about yourself you feel comfortable with, and make sure to check out any events that are happening if you want to meet people in person.

Barking for the first time

Postby RAGGED on Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:26 pm

Just wanted to say howdy, pretty new around here but seems as thou I'll fit in just fine. I shoot pretty regularly; reload almost daily lol. I work in prototyping so I'm always tinkering around machining various things. I love the precision aspect of shooting and firearms and marvel at the little gems of engineering genius that are modern firearms. I am mostly into long guns but may just shrivel up and die if I had to give up my 1911’s … especially the SIG. Wells that’s about it I guess, hope I get to know some of yas a bit better.

William
RAGGED

Re: Barking for the first time

Postby Stradawhovious on Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:54 pm

Welcome from another 1911 fan. Glocks suck. Watch out for justaglockophile.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Vlad on Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:02 pm

Welcome Ragged, I look forward to meeting you at one of the events.
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby bstrawse on Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:03 pm

Welcome!
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby gman1868 on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:12 pm

Welcome!

Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby Pat on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:17 pm

It is nice to have another fan of John Brownings timeless masterpiece on board. Welcome!
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby RAGGED on Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:26 am

Right on Pat, my XDM9 will very likely be my last plastic (toy) pistol, something about 40+ oz's of solid machined metal in your hand, just gets ya!

This guy is my fav and happens to be the most accurate, safe to se we have bonded
RAGGED

Postby DARIVS ARCHITECTVS on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:19 am

Stradawhovious wrote:Welcome from another 1911 fan. Glocks suck. Watch out for justaglockophile.

I am not amongst the carry crowd yet, but may soon be. Why do Glocks suck?
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:27 am

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS wrote:I am not amongst the carry crowd yet, but may soon be. Why do Glocks suck?

They dont. As long as you don't have a sentimental attachment to your fingers, or you need to keep some lettuce fresh.

They are bulky, ugly, uncomfortable, high pointing (not to be confused with a High Point, wich is a far superior firearm to a Glock), ammo-finicky, KaBoom prone paperweights. Had one for a while, caused me nothing but problems and headaches. Went back to the 1911 and couldn't be happier. Hell, my LCP is 10x the firearm that my Glock was.

Fact is, Try them all, Carry what you are comfortable with. ;)
Last edited by Stradawhovious on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Paul on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:27 am

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS wrote: Why do Glocks suck?

:stirthepot: :doh:
Paul

Postby Paul on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:29 am

They are also reliable, relatively inexpensive, simple, lightweight, well designed firearms.

Stradawhovious wrote:Fact is, Try them all, Carry what you are comfortable with. ;)

+ 1
Paul

Postby EJSG19 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:15 pm

Welcome. As you can see, plenty of room to get involved in the long-debated, never solved arguments. Final result is always "personal preference". But wade in anyway!
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby Bessy on Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:25 pm

I've been shooting a sig 1911 gsr in my uspsa competitions since I started about 3 years ago. I've done some work on it. Had around 9000 rounds in it before my first issue. The external extractor broke, ordered a new one from egw, dropped right in no problems. Great guns (barring the first couple that had some teething issues), oh and WELCOME!.

user842 wrote:They are also reliable, relatively inexpensive, simple, lightweight, well designed firearms.

Stradawhovious wrote:Fact is, Try them all, Carry what you are comfortable with. ;)

+ 1

Not only that but if you put them in the oven and bake them for an hour on high they leave a nice smoking puddle of black plastic!
Their over sized chambers do however require that I resize all my range pick up brass with an undersized resizing die. DAM YOU GLOCK!

Okay all glock hating aside. I do favor the Glock over the xd and other polymer guns.. because the barrel sits lower.. theoretically producing less percieved recoil. That being said shoot whatever you are comfortable with, the fractions of inch lower that the glock barrel sits isn't going to make much of a difference.. training however will.

Oh and I LOVE the hornady die wrench use it all the freaking time.
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Postby Belgiboy on Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Welcome.

Glocks are well designed, functional, clever and butt@ss ugly. AKA the Toyota Camry of handguns. 1911 and BHP all the way! :D

PS: I have an XD9(M) too. I like it but I don't love it.
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Postby Paul on Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Oh yeah...

Paul

Next

Return to Introductions