Cornered Cat book

A place for women to discuss firearms and other issues specific to women.
Forum rules
Refrain from snide comments, inside jokes, thread drift, and personal attacks or you may lose your posting privileges.

Aggressively moderated

Re: Cornered Cat book

Postby Dawn on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:31 pm

Great book! I've been readIng a little each night! Thanks Ron :)
Dawn

Postby Jenster on Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:14 pm

I did get a copy of this book a few months ago and I thought I would share my experience with it for anyone who might be thinking about getting it. I love how it is written and I love how things in it are not presented as the only way to do things. She lays out options and her attitude is "whatever works for you" within reason of course!

On her website she says "The Cornered Cat is all about women that have chosen or are considering choosing firearms for self defense, sport, or just wanting to understand more about what their menfolk find so fascinating. This book contains a wealth of information presented in Kathy's warm and often humorous style. She tackles the serious considerations of using deadly force in defense of oneself and loved ones in a thought-provoking, non-judgmental, "between girlfriends" prose that is neither threatening nor sugar-coated, just very real."

She has described it very well here and this is definitely how I would describe the book. I didn't go into it thinking I would carry a gun and I didn't finish it thinking I would either. My interest came about because I met some people when I was traveling out of the country who carried guns all the time--and they seemed normal! :D So I wanted to understand what it was all about. My father is into shooting and hunting and he didn't have any boys so he taught me about guns and we always had them around the house. Even with that background I never understood what it was about and I always thought in the back of my mind that people who wanted to carry guns were just paranoid. Like I said after reading the book and talking to a few people I still don't have a desire to carry a gun, but I do understand now that the reason most people carry a gun is because of one concept: responsibility.

You are responsible for your own safety and you are responsible for your actions. No one is going to step in and take care of your problems. You can choose to be oblivious or aware, or armed or unarmed, or risky or safe and any other choice you have in your daily life. They key thing is to make good decisions and base them from a perspective of knowledge. I think that is what the book is about and it's a good lesson whether the subject is personal safety or anything else. It's a good book and any woman or man for that matter would learn something from reading it!
Jenster

Postby infidel on Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:27 pm

Jenster wrote: You are responsible for your own safety and you are responsible for your actions. No one is going to step in and take care of your problems. You can choose to be oblivious or aware, or armed or unarmed, or risky or safe and any other choice you have in your daily life. They key thing is to make good decisions and base them from a perspective of knowledge. I think that is what the book is about and it's a good lesson whether the subject is personal safety or anything else. It's a good book and any woman or man for that matter would learn something from reading it!

Well said Jenster.
“If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.” - John Ashley

Disclaimer: Do not assume from this post, that I either agree or disagree with any other issue brought up in this thread.
infidel

Previous

Return to The Powder Room