Handbags and Purses for handgun carry

A place for women to discuss firearms and other issues specific to women.
Forum rules
Refrain from snide comments, inside jokes, thread drift, and personal attacks or you may lose your posting privileges.

Aggressively moderated

Handbags and Purses for handgun carry

Postby westberg on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:43 pm

There is already one topic on holsters. This one will focus on handbags and purses, of course I will stay away from the fashion point of view. There is also no need to discuss here if it is the best way to carry or not, there is just no other option for some women based on their jobs and level they are willing to go to carry. Smart Carry and holsters will work for some, but not all so lets keep it on topic.

I have provided links to some places to look. Dawn has first hand experiences with one of the Galco products. I spoke with Woolstenhulme Designer Bags at the Shot Show and would avoid them at this time until they start adding re-enforcing in their products.

I also spoke with the designer for Gun Toten Mamas, she has been in the travel bag industry for a long time designing travel bags and has a lot of experience when it comes to making a product that will handle the weight of a handgun. They double stitch all of the anchor points and also add in nylon webbing for added strength.

I thought I had read about a manufacture who was adding small diameter aircraft cable to the straps which would prevent slashing and grabbing. But I have not been able to find any products that have that feature.

http://magills.com/index/42_Concealment+Purses/
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterP2.asp?CatalogID=149
http://www.guntotenmamas.com/products.html
http://www.shado.com/
No website yet for "Concealed Carry Woolstenhulme Designer Bags" contact kate@DesignerConcealedCarry.com or 972-672-9437. I spoke with them at the Shot Show. I asked about how they re-enforce their product and she admitted she had not considered it on this first time around. They are new to this market and will add double stitching on future products.
westberg

Re: Handbags and Purses for handgun carry

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:53 pm

westberg wrote:
I thought I had read about a manufacture who was adding small diameter aircraft cable to the straps which would prevent slashing and grabbing. But I have not been able to find any products that have that feature.

All of the Pac-Safe products have slash-proof straps, tamperproof zippers and eXomesh. Tough anti-theft bags that aren't strictly speaking holster bags but could be used for that purpose.

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_r ... vity_id=44
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby westberg on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:05 pm

Thanks Joe nice add to the list.
westberg

Postby gun toten mama on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:12 pm

[url]Hi All! This is Mini Mama. :D :D I am new at this. I read someone had visited with Gun Toten Mamas and liked the bags but wanted to know where to find handbags using steel wire in the shoulder straps for slash resistance. All of Gun Toten Mamas handbags have the steel cable running through the length of the straps. Take a look at the website as each page describes it and more. http://www.guntotenmamas.com
Hope this helps -[/url]
gun toten mama

Postby Stradawhovious on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:30 pm

Thanks for the link. The bags are less expensive than I expected, similar to the price of a high quality holster. I'm sure that if Tickledpink decides to get her carry permit, you will probably get a year's salary from her.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Jenster on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:49 pm

I will look at the links later but do these bags have a spot just for the gun? Knowing me I would end up reaching in there and trying to shoot someone with a gum wrapper!
Jenster

Postby westberg on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:52 pm

Jenster wrote:I will look at the links later but do these bags have a spot just for the gun? Knowing me I would end up reaching in there and trying to shoot someone with a gum wrapper!

They generally have a separate area to the back side with side access.
westberg

Postby 1911fan on Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:11 pm

My wife has two of these, http://www.coronadoleather.com/browse.aspx?c=2&n=360412 She likes them the most as they seem to hide her stuff better.

She has one that is discontinued, and one of the hobo style smaller ones. She had a zipper unstitch over time and they replaced the whole zipper and paid for shipping both ways when that happened.

She also has one of the buffalo or bison series mini brief cases, but it is not set up specifically as a carry type bag, but hers works just fine for that purpose.
1911fan

Postby Tickledpink on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:00 am

Does anyone have info or a link for a transferable purse holster? I checked out the links listed but I don't know that I would carry any of those bags.
I have a small collection of bags ranges in prices from $20 to $300. I switch them out often but I don't know that I would like to sew any additional pockets or permanently alter them in anyway.

I rarely wear clothes that would allow for a comfortable carry, possibly a shoulder carry. A purse is just about the only thing that I carry on a daily basis that would work comfortably.
Tickledpink

Postby Paul on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:03 am

I would suggest maybe just putting your gun in a standard pocket holster, and place it in a semi-narrow part of your purse. You should be able to flick it off the holster easily enough with one hand. Something similar to what's pictured below. Both Vlad and Srigs offer them for around $25ish.

Paul

Postby Squib Joe on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:10 am

Bill's now carries Gun Toten' Mama purses in Circle Pines, coming soon to Robbinsdale
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Paul on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:15 am

Paul

Postby plblark on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:19 am

I'm a guy. I don't carry a purse. So take this with a grain of salt.

A "necessities bag, like what feminine hygiene products and makeup go into. Slightly bigger than the gun + pocket holster.

The idea is that NOTHING goes into that bag except the pocket holster + gun. get mitten minders (short strap with clips on both ends. One of them gets clipped to the holster and the inside of the necessities bag. The other gets clipped to the outside of the holster and the inside of the purse. When / if you grab the gun, pull ... the holster will stay in the bag, the bag will stay in the purse.

Try this with an empty gun and a safe direction. So far, it's only a theory (though I use the mitten minder on a couple pairs of slacks where the holster has nothing to grab onto on the draw.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Tickledpink on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:45 am

plblark wrote:I'm a guy. I don't carry a purse. So take this with a grain of salt.

A "necessities bag, like what feminine hygiene products and makeup go into. Slightly bigger than the gun + pocket holster.

The idea is that NOTHING goes into that bag except the pocket holster + gun. get mitten minders (short strap with clips on both ends. One of them gets clipped to the holster and the inside of the necessities bag. The other gets clipped to the outside of the holster and the inside of the purse. When / if you grab the gun, pull ... the holster will stay in the bag, the bag will stay in the purse.

Try this with an empty gun and a safe direction. So far, it's only a theory (though I use the mitten minder on a couple pairs of slacks where the holster has nothing to grab onto on the draw.

That is an awesome idea! thanks
Tickledpink

Postby plblark on Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:02 am

well, I thought it up and tried it with a man bag but not extensively. I'd love to see Dawn or one of the other female carry holders that has to deal with multiple purses try it and let me know where it falls apart. I'm sure it's not perfect.

[edit: spelling. Sorry, DaWn]
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Next

Return to The Powder Room