ladies introduce yourselves

A place for women to discuss firearms and other issues specific to women.
Forum rules
Refrain from snide comments, inside jokes, thread drift, and personal attacks or you may lose your posting privileges.

Aggressively moderated

ladies introduce yourselves

Postby Dawn on Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:59 pm

Hello Ladies,
I would like to know who's reading the forum and whats your interest in shooting?
I started shooting with my husband {Westberg} at the family's cabin. Oh what fun ! I was hooked from then on. So I took a some classes to learn the basics of gun handling. I knew nothing about guns! I came from a family that had no interest in them.
I now love shooting the steel shoots with Benny and China out at the Gopher Campfire.
Twin Cities IDPA {International Defensive Pistol Association} at Beaverbrook, Minnetonka in the summer and Bill's indoor durning the winter.
USPSA-{United States Practical Shooting Association} at Minnetonka, St.Cloud, Harris and sometimes Oakdale gun club when I can get get out of work early enough..
I have done a couple of 3-gun matches at Del-Tone/Luth in St.Cloud. way cool!
Last summer I took a Basic AR-15 class with Steve Quill. great class! This May I'm registered to take the advanced AR-15 class. can't wait.
My comfort level has grown so much that sometimes Ron and I will decide to go to different shooting events without each other.
I have met so many people and have made some great friends.
Looking forward to meeting more of you gals and guys.
Dawn
Dawn

Re: ladies introduce yourself

Postby 1911Nurse on Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Hi -

My name is Dee. I started shooting after a few strong "nudges" from my fiance Eric (EJSG19). I just shoot for fun - have participated in a few steel shoots and in the pin shoot last year. After participating in the women's only class last spring, I started casual trap shooting and have really come to enjoy it. We have a new puppy/dog Tango and I am really looking forward to going phesant hunting with him this fall - it will be my first "hunt" of any kind, so I guess I am nervous too. I also have taken the carry class and have my permit to carry - occassionally you can catch me carring my Kimber 1911. In my reguar life, I am a nurse in the twin cities and I work with premature babies in an NICU. Also, I am getting married this summer - July 9th. I am also heading back to school this spring for my master's degree - Family Nurse Practitioner. So I am pretty busy. As a longterm "goal" I would like to join a trap shooting club/league of some sort. So that is me, in a nutshell!

Dawn - thanks for heading up the thread!
~Dee~[*]
1911Nurse

Postby SwedishBabe on Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:39 pm

Hello! I am Becky (Belgiboy's wife). I have gone pheasant hunting 4 times, but have not shot anything...not that I have not fired my husband's prized over and under, I just have not hit a bird yet ;) I enjoy trap shooting and find that sometimes I do very well, other times not so much - especially when people are watching. I also attended the Women on Target class last year with Dee and had a great time. I am interested in getting my carry permit, but want to gain more confidence and comfort first. At the range I enjoy both long range rifle shooting and pistols - as long as there is some recoil and major flamage involved. I look forward to meeting more of you...but fear the powder room in the Gopher Bar may not be large enough yet!
SwedishBabe

Postby Jenster on Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:28 pm

Hi! My name is Jen and I was told about this site by a friend of mine who said there was a special section for women. I grew up shooting my dads handguns but I have not done any shooting in years. I don't know if I want to carry a gun or not but the laws are interesting to me from an angle that is different than probably most people on here. I live in St. Paul (Norm Coleman is one of my neighbors!) but I work in Chicago one week a month where gun laws are very different and I work an average of two weeks a month in Europe. Usually half of that time is in France and the other half is split among the countries in my main territory which is Eastern Europe, mostly the Balkans plus everthing west and south of Ukraine.

I spend the most time in Prague and Brno and people there carry guns all the time. Many of the other countries I go to have very tough gun laws but it does not seem to keep average people from getting them if they want them. I was in Slovakia a few months ago and a friend of a coworker was carrying a gun and I asked him about it. He said it was easy and legal to get them but not easy to get the carry license but that people carried them anyway and the police didn't make a big issue out of it. That was just one guy talking so I don't know if it is true but compared to the Czech Republic right next door where anyone with a clean record can get a license, it is strange to me. Of course the difference between Chicago and Minnesota is even more so go figure!

The most fascinating thing to me in the Czech Republic is the fact that a lot of women are into shooting and a lot of them carry guns for defense too. The people who carry them aren't flashy about it or into criminal activity but just think about it like you would carry some mace or a whistle. It is just a part of their daily life and even though most women do not carry a gun they don't think it is strange when women do. The two that I know who do it just keep it in their car or a purse and don't actually wear it but their attitude about it is something I have never experienced in the U.S.. I don't personally know any women who carry a gun in the states or who even think about it. I work with a lot of doctors and nurses and a nurse I was talking to once told me about being assaulted. She said her husband tried to get her a gun but she couldn't bring herself to carry one. Her biggest fear? Not being afraid of guns or of it being used against her but other women finding out and shunning her. The interesting part is that seemed very reasonable and understandable to me. I compare that to my friends in Prague and realize there is a huge culture difference which is strange given that the U.S. is considered by so many to be lawless and gun crazy. They would be surprised to know that a lot of people here think that carrying a gun is strange.

So it was interesting to me to see that we have a group of women here that are so passionate about it! Maybe this summer when my schedule calms down I might take a class. I don't see myself ever carrying one but it would be fun to do some shooting. My friends do it enough and have enough guns to loan to me that I think I would be satisfied with my little one week a month at home!
Jenster

Postby wrench on Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:46 am

Morning! My name is Susan, and I'm a gun nut.
I took up shooting 7 years ago, when my brother in law decided to become a meth addict, and I really found my niche.
I like modern pistols, and old rifles, don't hunt, and shoot four rounds of trap a year, whether I need it or not.
You'll usually see me at Oakdale Gun Club, down on the 100, shooting rifles, or over on the short range with pistols.
I'd like to get more women into the shooting sports, I've taken several women out to the range the last few years, all have had a great time, the last one just bought her first pistol. Success!
Remember, gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
wrench

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:16 pm

Note: Wrench is also a handloader, and tailors her 9mm ammo to give her the recoil level she wants, which is another very good reason to handload.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Dawn on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Hi
It's great to see some interest here! On the topic of carrying and other people opinion's, I would get my permit and carry concealed and not talk about with anyone. It's none of their business anyway. I carry to work and every where I go and nobody knows. I left home last Monday to do some errands {oops I left my j-frame on the reloading table} I didn't finish my errands and went home, I felt naked without my gun! On top of that my cell phone battery went dead. I just had a feeling of uneasiness being out there without protection. A couple of years ago I wouldn't of thought of carrying. So I guess it's all what you get used to. I know carrying isn't for everyone, but I feel better about myself and think I am more aware of my surroundings. Take care of yourself, if you really need help would somebody step up to help? Probably not ,most people don't want to get involved. Last summer I was in wally worlds parking lot when some nut burger approached me to get a signature for a anti nuclear weapons petition. This guy came out of nowhere -he was so close I could see that there were no signatures on his paper pad.I put my hand up to warn him to stop and said NO. He was gone in a split second driving away in a old scooby-do van with all sorts of crazy stickers on it. His van was parked right in front of my car. His back bumper to my front bumper. I'm sure he was watching as I saw someone in the van when I was getting out of my car. It was a holy cow moment that changed how I think for sure. All durning day time business hours.
Be safe out there.
Dawn
Dawn

Postby Jenster on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:44 pm

Hi Susan and Dawn! You two sound like the perfect gals to try this out with. The next time I have more than a week at home would one of you be willing to meet up with me? Dawn how do you carry your gun? It sounds like you do it all the time so maybe you have some suggestions. I don't wear a lot of loose fitting clothes. Jeans and skirts when I am not working and usually form fitting tops. I wear pantsuits to work but I could never carry a gun when working. Thanks, Jen.
Jenster

Postby Dawn on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:47 pm

Hi Jen
I would love to meet up with you when your available. I usually carry in my purse, not the best idea but better than nothing. I can carry the j-frame in some of my winter coat pockets with a pocket holster. I too find it hard to dress fashionable and conceal. If wearing a sweater or heavier knit vest the small of my back works better than on my side. I refuse to wear a fanny pack!!! Any others interested in making a girls day out? Theresa did mention a possible Thursday night at Bill's north. Or just a informal get to know you would be good too.
Dawn
Dawn

Postby old guy's wench on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:13 pm

Hi ladies, I don't know that i can add anything, but i am really willing to learn, i have my permit, and old guy has taught me alot, but i would really enjoy the female take.. i have not been comfy with all his larger guns, mostly as the handles are too rough on my hands, ( no hard labor anymore) so i am use to 22's and smooth butts... i would love to join a thurs or any other nite, gal's group, in fact i really wanted to go last nite, but didn't have the time..

I carry an american arms .22 derringer, 5 shot revolver, single action.. it folds up and i carry it just like my pocket knife, clipped to my pocket, noone notices it, and if they did, they wouldn't believe it was a gun. I also have a .22 auto, and a .38 revolver. those don't get to go out often as i have no comfy way to carry. I am unable to carry at work, as i work for the university, and they have really stringent policies, and i really like my job.. so i carry on weekends, off campus.

I am really disgusted with what is offered to women for concealed carry. I have several purses, one which i brought back ( cabella, $60). I have ordered on line, and i also purchased from bill's in robbinsdale, none have pleased me. So far the only thing i like is the derringer..

looking forward to seeing more females at the breakfasts, and maybe at any all gal's meets.. cheryl ( oldguys wench)
old guy's wench

Re: ladies introduce yourselves

Postby ttousi on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:00 pm

split off preparedness/awareness post to it's own thread

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=12658
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Jenster on Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:24 pm

Dawn that sounds like fun! I will definitely let you know. I don't think I would ever carry a gun but talking to people like you about the way you do it and the solutions you have found for problems I would probably have too would be good. I'm not a big purse or handbag girl so something very small would have to be available! Just the thought of digging through my purse and seeing keys, lip gloss, oh and here's my gun! It's a funny thought.
Jenster

Postby Tickledpink on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:17 am

Hello Ladies!

I am just getting to know guns. I am only a few months into learning, I am getting most of my knowledge from my SO (Stradawhovious). It's a lot of fun, so far I have shot mostly rifles and it was a very small handful of times. I am working up to the pistols hopefully when it gets warmer we can go play at the range. :)

I am mostly here for learning and becoming familiar with the different firearms and getting a feel for what I am most comfortable with. I also have 2 sons (7 and 12) who would really enjoy shooting but honestly I am still a bit apprehensive with the situation. Strad carries around the boys and they are aware and do ask questions, but it still makes me nervous sometimes. I would love if anyone had any insight or previous experience on introducing kids to firearms.

I enjoy shooting but I am have not decided if I would like a permit to carry yet. I think I am just seeing where this takes me.

Stephanie
Tickledpink

Postby White Horseradish on Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:00 pm

Tickledpink wrote:I am getting most of my knowledge from my SO (Stradawhovious).
What a magnificent setup... And in the section where we have to behave... :doh:

Tickledpink wrote:I am mostly here for learning and becoming familiar with the different firearms and getting a feel for what I am most comfortable with. I also have 2 sons (7 and 12) who would really enjoy shooting but honestly I am still a bit apprehensive with the situation. Strad carries around the boys and they are aware and do ask questions, but it still makes me nervous sometimes. I would love if anyone had any insight or previous experience on introducing kids to firearms.
I'd ask my other half to chime in, seeing as how this is a ladies section, but she is not on here. Not that she doesn't like guns, she doesn't like boards. Well, maybe eventually...

At any rate, we have two boys, 7 and 9. I think we have been fairly successful so far. We started with just two rules. One, you can see anything you want, provided you ask and an adult is with you. Two, if you see a gun with no adult around see rule one. I have always welcomed them to watch when I take a gun apart. So far this translated into them not having any mystical notions about firearms. It's not magic, it's not a toy, it is to be respected and there are further things to learn. Oh, and they have Red Ryders to practice with. Because every kid needs to have one and because Christmas Story is one of the best movies ever made. :lol:
"I have come to kick a** and chew bubblegum." <racks shotgun> "And I'm all out of bubblegum."

--John Nada, "They Live"
White Horseradish

Postby Star on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:50 pm

Hi Ladies
I just started shooting last summer and I love it. My husband has tried for years to get me to go with him to the range. I had a bad experience in the 70s so there was no way I wanted a gun around me.We even had to put all his in a place where I could not see them. So there was a place in our home where I could not go ( I was that bad). Last year I realized we had no common interest together anymore, so ether he had to learn to sew or I to shoot so gess who it was who caved in. I LOVED IT. We have so much fun together. I never thought I would be able to hold a gun and never enjoy shooting it. I have now shot all most all the guns he has Plus. I seem to like 22s all tho I received a Ruger LCP for Christmas, it came with a lazier but the gun did'nt feel right so he took it off.I haven't tried it yet but sure it will be ok now. I am still nervous to shoot guns but getting better. I shake so bad I don't know how I hit the target but seem to everytime. We go to Oakdale and Bill's North. I have taken one women's class and thinking of trying more. Right now I am looking into a beginners trap shooting class for the summer. Let me know if you start a Thursday night at Bill's that sound like fun.
Star
Star

Next

Return to The Powder Room