ladies introduce yourselves

A place for women to discuss firearms and other issues specific to women.
Forum rules
Refrain from snide comments, inside jokes, thread drift, and personal attacks or you may lose your posting privileges.

Aggressively moderated

Re: ladies introduce yourselves

Postby diamondsj on Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:20 pm

See what changes when I leave for awhile??? Nice addition to the forum!!! Thanks to the mods for it!!!!!

I've been around here for a bit, but don't post a whole lot. I've been around guns my whole life, shot rifles a few times when I was younger and shot my dad's pistol as well. When I moved out and away from home, my dad bought me my first pistol -- Smith & Wesson .357 along with everything I'd need to take care of it. My dad is a big believer in protecting yourself, and when it came to his daughters, that applied even more!! lol.

I've owned a gun ever since then, but never really did much with them until about 8 years ago. Because of the line of work I'm in, I got a couple very serious death threats and even had the sheriff track me down to tell me to secure myself and my family because some nut was on his way from out of state to do away with me and a few others...boy, does that get your attention in a hurry.

My H and I started really taking inventory of how we would protect ourselves and our children should it come to that and our "inventory" fell well short of what we would need. So we started reading, researching, getting provisions, and learning. I know I have ALOT to learn about all of this -- but it wasn't until then that we realized how much we didn't know.

So, long story short, we both got our PTC in our home state and in MN, and carry daily. We've hunted birds for years, but it was more the handguns we have been getting into lately... We also started deer hunting around our area about 5 years ago and have fun with that as well.

There aren't a lot of opportunities in my area for women to get together for shooting, but the local gun club started working hard last year on it and they have done a lot things for women, including getting a trap league started and getting a grant for the shells and targets, so all we had to pay for was the membership. They organized a pheasant hunt for women that wanted to do it and provided the dogs and cleaned and packaged any birds that were taken. They put together a couple beginner handgun classes and about 15 women came to learn and all of them had a blast! The second one they put together was rained out and then summer was over and winter began. I am hoping they keep going with it this year. I've volunteered my time to organize whatever, so hopefully that will help them continue supporting the women shooters in my area.

So that's a basic run down of me. Once in awhile, H and I get to the cities during a breakfast or EFFEN Gopher get-together. This winter has been awful for us for snow and wind, so haven't gotten to the cities at all. Looking forward to the day I can meet some of you on here.

Oh, and if you need one, get ahold of Srigs for holsters!! Awesome and comfortable!!!
There is no guarantee of the first without the second.
diamondsj

Postby mrs.ea on Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:02 pm

Hello Ladies!

I'm Erin (aka, EAJuggalo's wife/chick who grills at steel shoots). I have finally decided to join the board after hearing all about it for the last 2ish years, and of course that meant that I needed to join this group.

I started shooting when I was maybe 10 (maybe younger, I honestly don't remember). My dad was a USPSA shooter when I was younger and I used to go and collect brass for him. He taught both me and my sister to shoot better than most of the boys we grew up around, so it kinda stuck... I grew up around guns and it's actually what is comfortable for me. Growing up I would deer hunt, but have a short attention span, so that didn't last... I actually met my husband because he mentioned shooting in his profile on an online dating website and it caught my attention. Best part is, Eric has gotten my dad back into shooting and he has actually driven 4 hours to come to a steel shoot (and will be there in May).

I love shooting rifles, am a little unsure with handguns still... I slap the trigger and need some practice. I was at the Women on Target class last spring with a few of the ladies on here and had a great time (despite being slightly hung over... note to self, shooting the morning after a bachelorette party is a very sad choice). I plan to get my permit to carry sometime soon, mostly because my husband carries regularly and I am worried about him leaving it in the glove box if he runs into the post office etc, so I want to legally be able to be in possession of it concealed if something comes up. I doubt that I would ever actually carry... I'm too jumpy and wouldn't trust myself.

In the real world, I am an office coordinator for tpt (channel 2), Eric and I got married about 6 months ago and we live down in Eagan. Can't wait to have some fun conversations on here and to hopefully learn a thing or two.
mrs.ea

Postby Dawn on Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:36 pm

welcome to the forum mrs.ea! It was very nice seeing you at the steel shoot yesterday!
Dawn

Postby Tickledpink on Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:36 pm

Hi Erin!
Thanks for joining! It was great to see everyone on Saturday and finally put names and faces together. I look forward to seeing you all at the next shoot. I will shoot at that one, I promise. Now that Strad has a new revolver that he will use, I no longer have an excuse for not participating.
Tickledpink

Postby Jenster on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:07 pm

So many women around here who seem to know what they are doing! I used to think of shooting as one of those things I might do when my dad or a guy friend was doing it, but who needs boys anyway??? :D
Jenster

Postby Dawn on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:43 pm

In the beginning of my shooting days I would only go with Ron, Now I will go to a match by myself if we want to do different events. I feel I know enough to be confident in my abilities. I have also made friends with many people, and always welcomed by them, with or without my better half. ;)
Dawn

Postby grumpe on Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:03 pm

Hi everyone. Just found this site today and became a member. I grew up in MN but moved to Indiana 8 years ago. Cant wait to move back. Miss the snow and the cold. I met my fiance here, who is a gun nut and he got me into shooting. It's been about 7 years now. We usually go to the shooting range or to a friends empty field to shoot, which is really fun! Two years ago we went to Las Vegas (for my fiance's convention) and part of that was a trip to the Desert Lake Shooting Club. Sporting Clays.... Never did anything like that in my life. It lasted about 6 hours shooting 12 g. My shoulder hurt a bit after that but I had the time of my life. When they added up the numbers at the end it turned out I actually tied with my fiance. How cool is that? I think he was surprised with how good I did and I just told him "I had a good teacher" Which was him. My favorite rifle is my mosin nagant and I carry a Taurus 40 on me (I have the IN permit and the Utah permit)
grumpe

Postby plblark on Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:05 pm

Dawn wrote:In the beginning of my shooting days I would only go with Ron, Now I will go to a match by myself if we want to do different events. I feel I know enough to be confident in my abilities. I have also made friends with many people, and always welcomed by them, with or without my better half. ;)

Welcome Grumpe.

And Dawn: next steel shoot is Oct 16. We'll even forgive you if you bring Ron along ;-)
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Pezhead on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:05 pm

Welcome from Shakopee.
Pezhead

Postby Dawn on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi Grumpe,
Welcome back to Mn. Always happy to have another women join the forum and shooting community. Hope to meet you sometime.
Dawn
Dawn

Postby Tickledpink on Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:10 am

Welcome!! It's always nice to have some more ladies on the board.
Tickledpink

Postby wrench on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:14 am

Welcome aboard, grumpe, always great to have more women on the board!
Remember, gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
wrench

Postby kellyp on Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi Ladies, I'm Kelly. I've got 2 teen age daughters and I live with my BF across the river in Wisconsin, but I work in the twin cities as a security guard.
kellyp

Postby Pezhead on Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:47 am

Welcome to the forum Kelly. I have relatives in WI.
Pezhead

Postby wrench on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:17 am

Welcome, Kelly, I live right across the river near Afton 8-)
Remember, gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
wrench

PreviousNext

Return to The Powder Room