Summer carrying

A place for women to discuss firearms and other issues specific to women.
Forum rules
Refrain from snide comments, inside jokes, thread drift, and personal attacks or you may lose your posting privileges.

Aggressively moderated

Summer carrying

Postby Kirstie on Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:25 pm

So now that is summer and shorts,and skirt season do all you other ladies just carry by purse?
Kirstie

Re: Summer carrying

Postby Dawn on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:31 pm

yup, the purse, not the best but better than not carrying. I find it hard to carry in summer clothing.
Dawn

Postby Joecool on Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:43 am

I personally love using the fanny pack. Blackhawk has a great one and contrary to popular belief it doesn't scream gun.
Joecool

Postby plblark on Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:46 am

I almost answered this but noticed it's lady centric (being in the powder room and all)
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby bensdad on Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:07 pm

plblark wrote:I almost answered this but noticed it's lady centric (being in the powder room and all)

That still counts as answering dude.

Do they make undergarments that hold guns for women? I know guys have them.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby Kirstie on Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:48 pm

bensdad wrote:
plblark wrote:I almost answered this but noticed it's lady centric (being in the powder room and all)

That still counts as answering dude.

Do they make undergarments that hold guns for women? I know guys have them.

The problem with that is summer clothes for ladies are so short an so tight!
Like right now it's so hard to find shorts that cover my butt let alone hide a gun!
Kirstie

Postby old guy's wench on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:58 pm

if you are into the short tops etc, a loose over blouse works well for pocket carry, and srigs has a real nice wallet holster to carry in your back pocket...
old guy's wench

Postby Lady T on Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:51 am

Inside the waistband, fannypack (Roma) or pocket usually works for me!
I have a girlfriend that is quite tall and quite thin (I still like her anyway :lol: ) in the summer, she pretty much lives in loose skirts and what she did that works great for her was she took a ankle holster and modified it to a thigh holster! She carries her LCP everywhere! And yes, she told me between the skirts loose & light material, she can draw & fire it without lifting her skirt! She prefers a larger caliber, but summer carry can be a bit tricky!
I bet Srigs could easily make something up!

LT
Lady T

Postby Joecool on Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:02 am

Deleted.
Last edited by Joecool on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joecool

Postby Kirstie on Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:42 am

Yeah I like that thigh holster idea! I think I'll have to practice at the range
with some bloomers first, but if it really got to the point the I needed to draw I most likely wouldn't care what people saw right?
Kirstie

Postby Pezhead on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:54 pm

Kirstie, it might just distract them & give you an advantage. Other tha than that I have no experience in this manner of carry.
Pezhead

Postby Lady T on Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:26 pm

Oh, she could care less what people saw, it's the time factor. To actually have to lift up a piece of clothing to get to your gun, could take time (& motor skills) and even though it might be just a second or two, that might be time you may not have.

LT
Lady T

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:46 pm

Once again,n there are two factors here which work in your favor, and need to be considered:

Misdirection, and the incredible degree of unobservancy of most people on the street or whatever. The best example is the BBQ's we have done over at the Lake Harriet pavilion in the heart of Yuptown, and you actually have to carry blatantly openly over there and wander away from everybody else to different parts of the park to actually believe how FEW people actually see the gun (full size 1911 in my case, with extra mags) sitting there in plain view. The key is attitude, and if you are so used to it that you don't even notice when you're carrying (which means that you probably feel like your "slip is showing" when you're NOT carrying), people simply don't notice. If nothing else, a couple of the ladies can team up and one can watch the other's 6 in public somewhere so you can experience this first hand.

Secondly, I won't go through my misdirection speech again, but men are SOOO easy to manipulate that it's not funny. Given a summer layered look of a tight pair of shorts, a bra, small cami, and then a thin top, all you have to do is go a size larger on the top to make it loose at your waist and nobody is going to look there for a small gun no matter what. Once again, try it in pairs and you can see for yourselves that nobdy worth worrying about is going to notice.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby 1911fan on Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:53 pm

My wife talks about misdirection. Ladies, remember all those articles in the magazines about "if your torso is too long, do this, and if "your hips are not in proportion to your top, wear this"? My wife says a half in too low up top means she could carry a Tommy gun on her hip, and no one would notice. Now my wife is miss modesty and conservative, but if she wears a top with a little cami under it, the effect is I look there, not at her waist.
1911fan

Postby Erik_Pakieser on Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:35 am

I personally discourage carrying in a purse because it's very difficult to draw from one. If attacked, your purse will be swinging around and possibly dropped. A fanny pack or sling-type pack (like the Maxpedition) is more secure (although not as fashionable).

For women, I recommend shoulder holsters, pocket carry, IWB, or appendix carry. Most other belt holsters are designed for men and do not take women's phisique into account. Female police officers use an offset mount to push the holster away from the hip for better fit, but that does not lend itself well to concealment.

Having said that, use what works for you. If you want to carry in the purse, go ahead, just be aware of its limitations. If you do carry in the purse, I strongly recommend carrying the gun in its own compartment which is occupied by just the gun and nothing else. You don't want to risk an accident if your car keys or some other item you are carrying get caught in the trigger guard.
Fight-focused defensive handgun, rifle, and shotgun training
http://www.qsitraining.net
http://www.facebook.com/qsifirearms
Erik_Pakieser

Next

Return to The Powder Room