Tips for first handgun purchase

A place for women to discuss firearms and other issues specific to women.
Forum rules
Refrain from snide comments, inside jokes, thread drift, and personal attacks or you may lose your posting privileges.

Aggressively moderated

Tips for first handgun purchase

Postby Tickledpink on Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:44 pm

I am looking for some real tips on how to make my first handgun purchase. Just to clarify a few things...this is my first purchase but not my first gun. I was lucky enough to be given a 9mm for my birthday that I really enjoy shooting. I also have some decent experience with the S&W 625. I am not afraid of trying anything that goes bang. I do not enjoy small guns.

I am a noob but not a super noob. I have taken the PTC class but do not have the permit yet due to lack of cash flow. I would like to have a carry gun but am not sure that the 9mm would be enough. I would like to put on my big girl pants and purchase a gun on my own and really make sure I get what I like and I get something that I will be super comfortable using on regular basis.

I know where I can go to purchase one; I am very familiar with Bill's South and Gun Stop. The part that I am not familiar with is what questions to ask. I know what feels good in my hand; the 9mm feels much more comfortable in my hands then the 625. I am a woman and have smaller hands. I know that grips are interchangeable. When it comes to ammo, loads and whatnot that is where my eye glaze and I get the deer in the head lights feeling.

What questions do I ask other then does it go bang? Is there etiquette for purchasing? How do I make myself not look like a complete idiot?

Thanks to everyone who already PM'd me offering help!
Tickledpink

Re: Tips for first handgun purchase

Postby jac714 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:57 pm

I would repeat my advice check out the section on buying a gun at the Cornered Cat, after that it is like buying anything else, go try them out till you find the one you like. As many others have offered I would be glad to offer any help I can.
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby PhilaBOR on Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:13 pm

If you haven't already, read a few caliber war threads. Read the arguments and make up your own mind. I personally like the one shot stop ratings http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stopping_power as modified by Courtney and Courtney http://www.btgresearch.org/wb.htm

What do you care about in buying a gun? I would say, not necessarily in this order,
    Reliability
    Balance of stopping power and capacity
    Fits your hand
    You can shoot it accurately
    You can control it (not massive recoil)
    You can carry it in an acceptable method

Of course, once you have it down to a few candidates, shoot them (rent at Bills or whatever). Go home, think about it, come back, shoot them again or shoot new candidates.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby tullibee on Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:18 pm

and if you start a list of ones that fit that you'd like to try out - don't forget to ask here if someone has one that you could shoot to save cash on rental fees as well... I'm sure there are others like me that can always use a good excuse for a range trip!
tullibee

Postby JJ on Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:21 pm

tullibee wrote:and if you start a list of ones that fit that you'd like to try out - don't forget to ask here if someone has one that you could shoot to save cash on rental fees as well... I'm sure there are others like me that can always use a good excuse for a range trip!

+1

Also don't be afraid to ask for the best price to see if they will haggle. Often times if they can't haggle on price, you can get discounts or free accessories. If nothing else ask them to throw in a case and/or a box of SD ammo.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:32 pm

The usual advice to try before you buy is always good.

The only way you get there is too shoot and find out what really feels good to you. Unfortunatly the other issue, perhaps more so, is that it is much more difficult to try carring before buying. Deciding how you plan to carry and matching that to comfort, weight, etc.

IMHO it is always best to determine what you want first, then the gun store is just the means to order it, very few questions to ask.

On the 9mm round, do not be too quick to discount it. If you shoot it well and are comfortable with it, it will perform for you when/if you ever need it.
Holland&Holland

Postby Belgiboy on Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:03 pm

You have some experience with both an semi-auto and a revolver. Which one do you like to shoot more? Go from there. Don't forget that the .357 magnum revolver offers the choice between soft cushy .38 loads for practice and flame throwing .357 mag loads for self defense and general giggles. I have been carrying my 4" 686 lately in one of Srigs holsters. Since it is technically my wifes' gun, I have been eyeballing this one which I think is a good deal for $669 delivered.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=200283307
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Postby PhilaBOR on Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:10 pm

And of course, you deserve respect in the store. Not that I expect it in either store you mentioned, but no need to tolerate the "little lady" treatment.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby Tickledpink on Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:53 am

PhilaBOR wrote:And of course, you deserve respect in the store. Not that I expect it in either store you mentioned, but no need to tolerate the "little lady" treatment.

One of the biggest things that I am trying to avoid is the "little lady" treatment. It's kind of like taking your car in for servicing, you have the gut feeling that they are gonna rip you off just because you are a woman. I want to feel comfortable enough to know what I am talking about.

I will check out the cornered cat website and go from there. If anyone else would knows of any the websites that might be handy please feel free to post them. :)
Tickledpink

Postby rugersol on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:25 am

Tickledpink wrote:If anyone else would knows of any the websites that might be handy please feel free to post them. :)

http://lady.krok.us/ Image
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby JoeH on Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:49 am

First I suggest that you take the store employee with a grain of salt. The truly good ones are few and far between. I know how many times I've been talked down to and can only imagine the "little lady" ordeal. If they have the right attitude you still may get the wrong advice and/or the wrong information.

Research some guns online. Go to the store and ask to see those guns. Do not feel pressure to buy. Plan to leave without a gun. You'll need your Permit to Purchase if you do not yet have your carry permit.

Do not settle! Stores cannot stock all models of even the most popular lines. You can find a dealer that can get most any gun you want, often within a week.

If the store employee shows you some guns with which you are not yet familiar, here are some questions to ask. You'll want these answers and it will show that you know a thing or two about guns.

What caliber is this?
Is this model available in other calibers?
What's the capacity? (Magazine capacity for autos and cylinder capacity for revolvers)
What's the barrel length?
What different sights are available?
What's the action type? Single Action, Double Action, DA/SA, etc

Good luck and happy shopping!
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:30 pm

Yes, try before you buy, and you should be asking another woman this question rather than a man. More specifically, Theresa Reiter at Bill's North. They rent practically everything. Also very important, but the hubby or boyfriend should NOT be along. They can be very intimidated if you can shoot a caliber as large or larger than they can. You know how fragile male egos can be.... :P

As I said, don't make any assumptions about caliber or stopping power to begin with. I've had women at Oakdale who shot my 10mm with stiff loads, my 50GI, and my Smith 500 and loved it. No, a Smith 500 is not a carry gun, but if you can shoot that you can shoot anything. Holsters that work well for men may not work for women, and vice versa.

I could go on and on, but I already have here in the Powder Room, so if you do a search on this forum for my posts you'll find them.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:12 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Yes, try before you buy, and you should be asking another woman this question rather than a man. More specifically, Theresa Reiter at Bill's North. They rent practically everything. Also very important, but the hubby or boyfriend should NOT be along. They can be very intimidated if you can shoot a caliber as large or larger than they can. You know how fragile male egos can be.... :P

As I said, don't make any assumptions about caliber or stopping power to begin with. I've had women at Oakdale who shot my 10mm with stiff loads, my 50GI, and my Smith 500 and loved it. No, a Smith 500 is not a carry gun, but if you can shoot that you can shoot anything. Holsters that work well for men may not work for women, and vice versa.

I could go on and on, but I already have here in the Powder Room, so if you do a search on this forum for my posts you'll find them.

For the record I am pretty sure Tickled could shoot anything. She did put a round down range with my boat anchor in .45-70.
Holland&Holland

Postby Pezhead on Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:21 pm

I carry a 9mm & have no problems witht that caliber.
Give Thunderjohn a call he's a great guy to work with.
Pezhead

Postby R.E.T. on Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:30 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Yes, try before you buy, and you should be asking another woman this question rather than a man. More specifically, Theresa Reiter at Bill's North. They rent practically everything. Also very important, but the hubby or boyfriend should NOT be along. They can be very intimidated if you can shoot a caliber as large or larger than they can. You know how fragile male egos can be.... :P

+1.
Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the face of an uplifted knife. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Make yourself sheep, and the wolves will eat you. Benjamin Franklin
Don't blame me, I voted for an American.
R.E.T.

Next

Return to The Powder Room