need help with finding my Girlfriend a Pistol

A place for women to discuss firearms and other issues specific to women.
Forum rules
Refrain from snide comments, inside jokes, thread drift, and personal attacks or you may lose your posting privileges.

Aggressively moderated

Re: need help with finding my Girlfriend a Pistol

Postby rugersol on Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:43 pm

Pezhead wrote:My wife has trouble with my Glock. She like the M&P, the changeable backstrap is nice. I would work on the basics of safe gunhandling first to get a new shooter comfortable. Start slow. I would like to try the .327 Federal. This has potential. Downsides ammo availabilty. I just read an article Hamilton Bowen is now doing work on these, it seems this may be one of those overlooked calibers.

I've recommended a .327 fer the fairer folk ... can start with .32sw, then .32hr, and finally .327! Image

Ruger needs to make a 3.5in Single-Six in this!

What's Bowen doin'? Image
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Pezhead on Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:47 pm

rugersol wrote:
Pezhead wrote:My wife has trouble with my Glock. She like the M&P, the changeable backstrap is nice. I would work on the basics of safe gunhandling first to get a new shooter comfortable. Start slow. I would like to try the .327 Federal. This has potential. Downsides ammo availabilty. I just read an article Hamilton Bowen is now doing work on these, it seems this may be one of those overlooked calibers.

I've recommended a .327 fer the fairer folk ... can start with .32sw, then .32hr, and finally .327! Image

I won't be able to access it work. i think the article was written by John Taffin in guns magazine. If i have time tonight I'll check, moving my moterh in law back to her apartment from the nursing home.
Pezhead

Postby rugersol on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:04 pm

Pezhead wrote:
rugersol wrote:

I won't be able to access it work. i think the article was written by John Taffin in guns magazine. If i have time tonight I'll check, moving my moterh in law back to her apartment from the nursing home.

Don't bother ... I checked it out ... re-bbl/chamber K-frame S&W and Blackhawks ... must be an older article. I was curious why someone would need something more than what's currently available (3.5in Single-Six, not withstanding!)

Taurus has a 2in J-frame available ... but I'd prefer a 3in ported, like what S&W has! Image
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
rugersol

Postby Pezhead on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:09 pm

I'd like to get my a 3" version. We haven't shot one yet.
Pezhead

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:46 pm

Pezhead wrote: I would like to try the .327 Federal. This has potential. Downsides ammo availabilty. I just read an article Hamilton Bowen is now doing work on these, it seems this may be one of those overlooked calibers.

I think there is a good chance that the 327Fed will soon be taking a seat on the bench next to 41AE and his buddy 45GAP
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby rugersol on Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:56 pm

Squib Joe wrote:
Pezhead wrote: I would like to try the .327 Federal. This has potential. Downsides ammo availabilty. I just read an article Hamilton Bowen is now doing work on these, it seems this may be one of those overlooked calibers.

I think there is a good chance that the 327Fed will soon be taking a seat on the bench next to 41AE and his buddy 45GAP

Oh ****! ... I better order one, right away! :?
rugersol

Postby farmerj on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:09 pm

Fiance tried the M9 and the MKII. She also tried some Taurus revolvers. She liked the revolvers better so that's what she went and got.

Typical for guys to try to influence their partner into what they should get.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby tman on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:56 pm

She can try mrs tman's Bersa Thunder .380 and my XD9, if she'd like.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby JustinPo on Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:21 pm

Glock, XD/XDM, or M&P are great options, get them in 9mm and let her blow through a case or two of ammo before you worry about malfunction drills!

Oh and NEVER teach your GF/SO how to shoot a gun beyond the very basics, trust me get her instruction or go out with other friends who shoot and let them tell her how to improve it will be vastly more effective!
JustinPo

Postby mn_smokeater on Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:32 pm

tman wrote:She can try mrs tman's Bersa Thunder .380 and my XD9, if she'd like.

She would like that very much thank you both!
That guy from the Hinterlands of the Nord.
mn_smokeater

Postby mn_smokeater on Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:34 pm

JustinPo wrote:Glock, XD/XDM, or M&P are great options, get them in 9mm and let her blow through a case or two of ammo before you worry about malfunction drills!

Oh and NEVER teach your GF/SO how to shoot a gun beyond the very basics, trust me get her instruction or go out with other friends who shoot and let them tell her how to improve it will be vastly more effective!

il have to find a instructor for her yes and the drills will be left to a better teacher then me.
That guy from the Hinterlands of the Nord.
mn_smokeater

Re: Re: need help with finding my Girlfriend a Pistol

Postby tman on Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:54 pm

mn_smokeater wrote:
il have to find a instructor for her yes and the drills will be left to a better teacher then me.

...ahem...
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby Pezhead on Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:19 am

Squib Joe wrote:

That's what's kind of kept me from aquiring one currently.
Pezhead

Postby rugersol on Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:03 am

Pezhead wrote:
Squib Joe wrote:

That's what's kind of kept me from aquiring one currently.

You got that backwards ... if ya keep waitin', ya might have a lot less choices!

I remember, years ago, at Frontiersman ... the knowledgeable fellow behind the counter (NOT Marv) informed me that 10mm was goin' the way of the dodo ... as I was eyein' up a G20 ... so I bought two! ... good thing! ... blew one up! ... then I still had one, left! Image

However, as it turns out, I can't shoot Glocks no more (see 1911 thread) ... and they still make 'em, anyhow! Image

In fact, Colt even brought back the Delta Elite! :hmm:

Or is there another reason? Image

Please don't say yer afraid ya won't find a box shells at the Kwik Trip 50mi outta Yellowknife! :wack:
rugersol

Postby Pezhead on Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:27 am

I hear you. Wife still doesn't have a job so I'm just setting priorities. I've always like the .32 I wanted a Ruger single action years ago.
I did find some .45GAP at Gander on clearance for $45.00 a box. It's a steal.
Pezhead

PreviousNext

Return to The Powder Room