Any one tried these before?

A place for women to discuss firearms and other issues specific to women.
Forum rules
Refrain from snide comments, inside jokes, thread drift, and personal attacks or you may lose your posting privileges.

Aggressively moderated

Re: Any one tried these before?

Postby Sherry on Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:25 pm

plblark wrote:
tman wrote:Hang on a second.
What are Tim's criteria for YOU to carry?
[...]
"Mr. Sherri Warner" is going have to suck it up and let you decide which method works for you. And you can tell him I said so. :!:

Thank goodness someone said it!

There are methods he may think are better or worse for you. There are reasons and tradeoffs attached to those methods. But it's your responsibility and with too many restrictions you won't carry. Would that be better than carrying in a belly band?

I don't know. I asked him about trying one of those out but he said I can't carry a glock in a band because it doesn't have a safety so the chambered bullet accidentally being shot would be a big risk... Or at least that's what I heard him say. I have some listening issues related to my short attention span and ability to be easily distracted, so don't take my word for his.
Sherry

Postby plblark on Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:28 pm

now we're getting somewhere. Tim pointed out an issue with that style of carry. I hadn't thought of that issue (not having a G-19 and not being able to get used to a giant rubber band around my torso) ... Does someone make a belly band with a kydex insert? I'm sure someone COULD do such.

I've carried a small revolver in a belly band but not my M&P. I avoided the M&P due to weight not due to the trigger issue. I'll bet you could quickly sew a pocket style holster into a belly band and have it work.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby rugersol on Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:29 pm

Lotsa brave men, here!

Tim's volunteered to accept responsibility fer Mrs. Warner's personal safety! He's provided a G19 ... not a G24 ... and not a G26! Despite their appearance, and lack of ergonomics, their reputation is nearly unequaled ... and fer good reason!

So long as Mrs. Warner keeps a G19 handy, I 'spect it'd be nearly impossible fer her to be any better defended ... short of young Mr. Westberg standin' 'tween her 'n whatever ain't right!

Now we got some gentlemen steppin' to the fore ... volunteerin' to override Mr. Warner's responsibilities!

Bravo, men! Bravo! :bowdown:
Last edited by rugersol on Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby plblark on Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:36 pm

Wait a minute here.

The one person responsible for her safety is Her. Not Mr. Sherry Warner. HER.
Mr. Sherry gets to help. Mr. Sherry is blessed that she takes it seriously. But Mr. Sherry should not have a blanket veto without reason or logic.

Turns out it's not so much "Tim said No" as Tim said no because it's unsafe because or x, y, z.
now we're getting somewhere. Tim pointed out an issue with that style of carry.

I know when I got started, I asked my mentors tons of stupid questions (promise to stop doing that one of these days ... :-)) and they told me "NO! you DON'T want to do that because of x, y, z" ...

It's likely the same with Mr. Sherry Warner's advice. Mr. Sherry Warner's a good egg. He knows Mrs. Mr. Sherry Warner better than anyone but she does. That makes him uniquely qualified to advise her. Heck, I'd ask Mr. Sherry Warner for advice on the purchase, use, and carrying of Glocks as he has that pretty much down :-)

Why yes, I DO like typing Mr. Sherry Warner :-)

Mrs. Mr. Sherry Warner is a lucky woman to have Mr. Sherry Warner around to help her. She can benefit from his collection, his resources, his experience, and his support. Mr. Sherry Warner is LUCKY that Mrs. Mr. Sherry Warner is willing to carry and takes her safety as seriously as he does. I'd LOVE it if Mrs. Plblark took it as seriously as Sherry does.

Good luck to the both of them!
Last edited by plblark on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby rugersol on Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:38 pm

"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
rugersol

Postby mn_smokeater on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:02 pm

ok its not much help but heres my input: Could you imagine falling on that :shock: at least to me it looks like if you took a spill it could.
That guy from the Hinterlands of the Nord.
mn_smokeater

Postby Sherry on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:03 pm

Don't Wanna make y'all sound stupid... cuz you've known me a while, and see my name on facebook everyday when you check on me (cuz I know you do)... but it's spelled Sherry (like the booze)... just an FYI (I don't take any offense or anything).

Any who...

Haha, whoops, read from bottom pic to top...
Attachments
0829011439.jpg
...And this.
0829011437.jpg
But in the type of shirt I like to wear on a normal day it would bulge like this...
0829011436.jpg
This is how he showed me how to carry it.
0829011433a.jpg
Here is m beautiful rig from my wonderful hubby.
Sherry

Postby Sherry on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:08 pm

So...
Attachments
0829011442.jpg
The hip carry works good with shirts like this, but I don't know if I want to hear rugersol asking me how far along I am or where I buy my pregnancy clothes (especially after the back pack/diaper bag incedent from like 2 years ago).
0829011448.jpg
Slid the holster around to the small of my back. Not sure if it is supposed to be worn that way, but it appears that the Glock 19 can be concealed in a tight tee shirt this way.
0829011450.jpg
Doesn't work for hip carry with a tight tee shirt though, just like with the beater.
Sherry

Postby rugersol on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:08 pm

mn_smokeater wrote:ok its not much help but heres my input: Could you imagine falling on that :shock: at least to me it looks like if you took a spill it could.

Ya ... I thought of that too ... basically SOB ... be jest MY luck to slip on a step 'n land dead nuts on that ****er! :o
rugersol

Postby plblark on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:12 pm

Well, there's your problem... most of us have figures we're trying to hide :-)
That's a nice rig right there. I'm not sure how your original compression shorts would help it too much. Maybe put the gun deeper but your rig can do that (or could be modified to do so). Then you're going to run into your seated slide length can only go so deep until it hits and starts rubbing / ripping pants/slacks/upholstery ...

You might try looking up limatunes on defensivecarry.com or youtube.

Don't take this the wrong way but a tight flirty top with a light, frilly, open front shirt as a cover garment can work very well... Guys are real simple and they're easily distracted ... ooh look, Shiny...

The other thing to think about is that a radical wardrobe change is going to stand out to people whereas a gradual shift won't ... Especially going from beaters to maternity tops :-)
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby rugersol on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:15 pm

Well aren't YOU the little shutter-bug, today!

I think I SEE yer point!

FWIW, most folks gotta change their wardrobe in one respect, 'er 'nother ... IF, they're gonna carry ... ALOT! ;)

Typically, this means a wider waistband fer IWB!

In yer case, a few more moo-moo's couldn't hurt!

Even with pocket-carry, ya'd probly need some looser jeans!

I'm not a fan of ankle-holsters ... but, it appears yer runnin' outta real-estate! :? ... probly wouldn't be a G19, in the ankle-holster ... so there's that!

Tough choices, to be made!
rugersol

Postby Sherry on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:17 pm

I don't really know. I think Tim carries SOB sometimes. I think it might be a good option for me concealment wise, but I know the first thing he is going to ask me is "How are you gonna draw from that?" which I don't really know. It is a pretty long reach.

Drawing from the hip is easier, but obviously much harder for me to conceal.

I like the idea of those shorts though. I wish there was a retailer that had a pair I could check out, but it looks like you can only get them online. I'd like to try out an ankle holster too.
Sherry

Postby plblark on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:20 pm

What does Streicher's have? I know they have stocked the compression shirts in the past but I've never looked for the shorts ... They might have some idea. there have to be female LEO's, right?
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Sherry on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:24 pm

rugersol wrote:Well aren't YOU the little shutter-bug, today!

I think I SEE yer point!

FWIW, most folks gotta change their wardrobe in one respect, 'er 'nother ... IF, they're gonna carry ... ALOT! ;)

Typically, this means a wider waistband fer IWB!

In yer case, a few more moo-moo's couldn't hurt!

Even with pocket-carry, ya'd probly need some looser jeans!

I'm not a fan of ankle-holsters ... but, it appears yer runnin' outta real-estate! :? ... probly wouldn't be a G19, in the ankle-holster ... so there's that!

Tough choices, to be made!

dood. these are my fat pants. they are 2 sized big.

Those shorts looked like they had a holster on them though. I don't want some slimming shorts, they looked to just be like bike shorts with a holster outside that can go under other stuff. Am I incorrect?
Sherry

Postby rugersol on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:27 pm

Mrs. Tim Warner wrote:dood. these are my fat pants. they are 2 sized big.

Those shorts looked like they had a holster on them though. I don't want some slimming shorts, they looked to just be like bike shorts with a holster outside that can go under other stuff. Am I incorrect?

I meant the shirts! :roll:

Other guy's on the shorts! ... wuddint me!
rugersol

PreviousNext

Return to The Powder Room