** BIG SUCCESS 50BMG Ladies Shoot on Nov 19th**

A place for women to discuss firearms and other issues specific to women.
Forum rules
Refrain from snide comments, inside jokes, thread drift, and personal attacks or you may lose your posting privileges.

Aggressively moderated

** BIG SUCCESS 50BMG Ladies Shoot on Nov 19th**

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:58 am

Despite the SNOW - it was a big success as most attendee's enjoyed themselves.
It would have been nice if we could have seen the targets thru the falling snow, but .....
Everybody got to shoot - for free basically!

Thank you all for coming - we WILL do this again in the Spring when it will hopefully be warmer.

One nice side effect of shooting the 50BMG on a cold day is being able to warm the hands and fingers on the rifle barrel afterwards!

All shooters - please comment on your thoughts both before and after pulling the trigger - I saw lots of smiles !!

The shot, then the infamous "50 Grin".

A Special Thank You to the Oakdale Gun Club for providing the facilities and the snow./
Last edited by OldmanFCSA on Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OldmanFCSA

Re: ** 50BMG Ladies Shoot is ON for Nov 19th**

Postby subwofer2 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:24 am

Outstanding! Shooting through the snow was an experience in itself for me. Thanks to all who attended and if you have pictures and videos to share please post them here.
Last edited by subwofer2 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
subwofer2

Postby Anchor13 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:01 pm

Thank you again for doing this! It was a lot of fun! :D
Anchor13

Postby yuppiejr on Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:31 pm

Yes, thank you to Doug and Bill for organizing this event and taking the time to make sure everyone had an enjoyable and safe time in the snow today at Oakdale! At one point I counted at least 16 people in the bunker including some familiar forum faces. I also think it turned into a pretty good forum recruitment opportunties, a few of the RO's who stopped through and at least one shooter in attendance that haven't participated in the forum sound like they are going to check it out.

I was the guy in the brown hooded jacket with a goatee that showed up late with the tall dude and parked in the back corner of the bunker. If I missed saying hi to any other MNGuntalkers in attendance (saw Strad + his wife and Shippy in attendance, said hi to Erik / Srigs of Sideguard holsters up in the club house when we checked in)... a belated hello!

As for my impressions as a new .50 shooter? My objectiveness was somewhat ruined by having my expectations set that the recoil was about on par with a 20 gauge shotgun... after a few pulls of the trigger prone behind Bill's Armalite I'd put it closer to a 20" hbar profile AR-15 shooting 5.56... the bark is far worse than the bite when it comes to recoil. VERY mild, if it were not for the massive concussion from the muzzle brake I think it would be one of the most pleasant handling rifles I've had the opportunity to shoot.

Last edited by yuppiejr on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
yuppiejr

Re: ** BIG SUCCESS 50BMG Ladies Shoot on Nov 19th**

Postby Anokamnman on Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:44 am

Thanks for organizing this event. It was a blast. I got a couple of great pics. I will try to post them later today. The timing was perfect. Last week was anchors birthday. So I know she loved it. I think I might even be able to talk her into letting me buy one. Keeping my fingers crossed. Lol
Wrap that around your overly muscled left wing and row your dinghy in counterclockwise circles as a result.
Anokamnman

Postby Anokamnman on Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:50 am

I have to admit I was shocked by the lack of recoil. I have fired the M2 back when I was in the marines. So I was prepared for the blast. I was expecting this thing to kick like a mule. The recoil is less than my AR-10. It made my 7mm magnum feel like shoulder firing a howitzer.

Was that strad with the flip camera on the tripod? Post that video for us all to see.
Wrap that around your overly muscled left wing and row your dinghy in counterclockwise circles as a result.
Anokamnman

Postby Anchor13 on Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:55 am

Thank you again for this opporunity. I really enjoyed it and I know my husband (anokamnman) also enjoyed shooting it. I do have to admit I was a little nervous about shooting it. Since I am still very new and inexperienced to shooting and all the different types of guns so I was a little indimidated by the size of the not only the gun but the bullet also. My husband's Remington 7 mm magnum kicked a lot and I had no desire to shoot that and in my mind if that thing kicked like it did, then the 50BMG is going to be a whole lot more. Even after him telling me that it doesn't kick as much as my shotgun I still had my doubts.

After pulling the trigger the time I was amazed at how little it kicked and how fun it was to pull that trigger on a gun like! It was a rush to have that much power at my finger tip. I cannot wait to do it again. Thank you again for this awesome opportunity. I will definetly be there for the next one! Here are the pics that we took. My hubby got a great one of me where you can see the "fire" at the end.
Attachments
031.JPG
030.JPG
029.JPG
027.JPG
026.JPG
024.JPG
025.JPG
023.JPG
Anchor13

Postby Anokamnman on Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:09 am

I got the muzzle flash.

Anokamnman

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:01 pm

Anokamnman wrote:I have to admit I was shocked by the lack of recoil. I have fired the M2 back when I was in the marines. So I was prepared for the blast. I was expecting this thing to kick like a mule. The recoil is less than my AR-10. It made my 7mm magnum feel like shoulder firing a howitzer.

Was that strad with the flip camera on the tripod? Post that video for us all to see.

The State Arms Shorty that you fired from the Prone position generates about 20% more recoil than the ArmaLite AR-50 brake. The AR-50 brake is the most efficient readily available, although the K&P muzzle brake is better though near impossible to get.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Anokamnman on Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:15 pm

Even with 20% more recoil it was surprisingly very manageable. I am going to have to save up my money to get one of these. I told the wife I wanted one. She replied that we have other things to get first. SHE DIDN'T SAY NO. Now I have another reason why I love her. Lol.
Anokamnman

Postby timwarner on Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:03 pm

Thanks for doin this Oldman, I wish I could have been there, but had to work. Looks like it was fun.
Tim
USPSA club MN07
http://ipsc.krok.us
timwarner

Postby Tickledpink on Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:33 pm

This was so much fun! I had to admit that I was slightly nervous but I have been kicked harder by much smaller guns. I was really surprised by the super light trigger pull!
Thanks so much for this opportunity! It was great.
Tickledpink

Return to The Powder Room