A lady asked me today...

A place for women to discuss firearms and other issues specific to women.
Forum rules
Refrain from snide comments, inside jokes, thread drift, and personal attacks or you may lose your posting privileges.

Aggressively moderated

A lady asked me today...

Postby timwarner on Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:06 pm

An older lady in my vietnamese class today, said she had her permit for 5-6 years but still doesn't own a carry pistol.
She is right handed but cannot shoot right handed due to physical limitations. She was asking me about what kind of gun to get, and I told her I could check with you guys and see if I could maybe arrange a day for her to try a few different smaller caliber pistols.
I don't really have anything in the small caliber range that she's looking for, but I thought maybe some people here would have a few guns she could try and at least get some ideas as to what she wants to buy.

She did her class with a glock, she said, but 9mm was a bit hard on her. I'm not sure what model, since she's not a gun person and couldn't remember.
Tim
USPSA club MN07
http://ipsc.krok.us
timwarner

Re: A lady asked me today...

Postby bbk on Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:07 pm

I am right handed but shoot pretty good left handed; it really surprised me. She could try out 38 cal; they are kind of anemic in my opinion and may just pi$$ somone off if the BG is high on drugs.
bbk

Postby Pezhead on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:00 am

I have no propblem with a .38(I have read some people carry it with wadcutters). I also carry a .380. I would like to try a .327 sometime(I want my wife to try it too).
Pezhead

Postby yuppiejr on Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:14 am

Finding an easy to shoot compact pistol is a challenge, it's sort of like the - "do you want it cheap, good or fast, pick 2" discussion... in carry pistols it's more like "low recoil, light weight, effective caliber, pick 2." Sounds like the advice of someone in the business of training is the best bet here both to help identify the right match of pistol/caliber to the shooter and work with her to become confident and proficent. I understand the logic of bringing an appropriate manstopper caliber to the party if you are able and comfortable shooting it, however any gun > no gun when it counts. Even a compact .22 revolver, deringer or semi-auto is going to be better than nothing in a pinch and just as deadly as a larger pistol with good shot placement at short range.
yuppiejr

Postby Humphrey Bogart on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:45 pm

Kel-Tec .380 / Ruger LCP / Kahr .380 WITH crimson trace laserguard plus Cor- Bon DPX copper hollow point . the Kahr is even smaller than the other two.
The laser is not for sighting ...but more like the rattlesnake's rattler. Batteries last forever.
Whole package is smaller than a man's wallet.
Humphrey Bogart

Postby Snowgun on Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:33 am

Sorry for the drift, all I can concentrate on is the question, why are you taking a Vietnamese class? I have also thrown around the idea of learning it (assuming it's a language class). Are you going to travel there? I would love to do that, it's been on my list now for a while.

My brother has a .25 that is soft like butter. .380 might be a better bet though...
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby tazdevil on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:17 am

k9barco wrote:I am right handed but shoot pretty good left handed; it really surprised me. She could try out 38 cal; they are kind of anemic in my opinion and may just pi$$ somone off if the BG is high on drugs.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but a BG high on drugs and even the big ole 45 will just tick some of them off, I know of a case that actually broke out of 5 point restraints and was flinging sheriffs deputies (the big ones too) off him like they were dolls. All one of my former coworkers did when the guy passed him on the way out was hold the door open. Proper shot placement is so much more important than caliber of shot placement, a miss with a 40 is not going to help with some mysterious concussion wave any more than a miss with a 22. The wonders of self medication with non-prescribed chemicals.
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby ree on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:10 pm

What is the physical limitation of her right hand? Can't hold a gun? Can't hold it firmly enough? Can hold, but not pull the trigger b/c of strength or neurological issues?

I'm asking because shooting left handed, you still tend to use your right hand for some tasks. Is she able to rack a slide, seat magazines, handle speed loaders, etc with her right hand? Or doesn't she need to be able to shoot and reload entirely one handed?
ree

Postby Hanns on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:59 pm

For a light bodied female with hand/wrist strength issues I'd definitely recommend a .38 snubbie. No issues with limp wristing, easy to use, don't have a slide to rack back with a weak hand. I'd also skip the lightweight models until she wanted a second gun maybe. Full weight model will kick less, be easier to shoot/learn. Even a "tame" .38 Spl with a flyweight frame can kick enough that inexperienced shooters won't like to shoot it and thus won't practice.
Hanns

Postby ali_squidz on Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:30 pm

XD sub C. 9 mm.
I had the taurus 380 tiny pink one and that was major kick compared to the XD.
ali_squidz

Postby White Horseradish on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:00 pm

J-frames are nice, but loading the closely spaced chambers can be trouble for someone with hand issues. A Model 10 snubby might be a better bet. IMO, S&W model 10 is about the easiest gun to shoot there is.
"I have come to kick a** and chew bubblegum." <racks shotgun> "And I'm all out of bubblegum."

--John Nada, "They Live"
White Horseradish

Return to The Powder Room