I would appreciate a female perspective.

A place for women to discuss firearms and other issues specific to women.
Forum rules
Refrain from snide comments, inside jokes, thread drift, and personal attacks or you may lose your posting privileges.

Aggressively moderated

Re: I would appreciate a female perspective.

Postby ali_squidz on Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:36 pm

Mrs. Tim Warner wrote:Beyond that, get her some xanex and a 40oz.

you and I are on the same page. buwahahhaaha!
ali_squidz

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:48 am

There are issues here that go way beyond firearms.
Holland&Holland

Postby FrauNoodleberg on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:33 am

ali_squidz wrote:

x3

wothless $.02- this is what you get for marrying a hippie.

Remember- forgiveness is sometimes more effective than permission.
FrauNoodleberg

Postby sawgrass on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:15 am

FrauNoodleberg wrote:
ali_squidz wrote:

x3

You know the OP is fairly new here and posted something personal requesting advice.
I doubt he was looking for judgement. This is their life and this is his wife who is being dinged.
None of us know the circumstances regarding her hesitation. I can't understand how it benefits them or
anyone posting to start taking pot shots at his wife.
Last edited by sawgrass on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
GOCRA Member
sawgrass

Postby grousemaster on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:24 pm

FrauNoodleberg wrote:
ali_squidz wrote:

x3

Hippies don't listen to "pop" music.....not the ones I knew anyway....
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby timwarner on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:23 pm

FrauNoodleberg wrote:
ali_squidz wrote:

x3

Thank you for reminding me, I just hit the buy button.
Tim
USPSA club MN07
http://ipsc.krok.us
timwarner

Postby sawgrass on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 pm

It's worthy of its own thread, but I think it's hard to define a hippie these days.

When I was young I thought it was someone who lived in a VW van, smoked pot and mostly didn't work.

Later I thought it was someone who tried to take care of the earth and avoided trouble, most worked in co-ops and were
contributing productive citizens. Times were less than today and folks weren't as concerned about pp.

Today I still think it's someone who tries to take care of the earth but may exercise their second amendment rights if threatened. Mostly because today
people are tired of feeling afraid.

When I think of "redneck' as the OP described himself, I think of two types of people, southern men who exist within their "male right", and men that I've met
here, in MN who are hard working, love their wives, drink a little beer and would do nearly anything for someone they consider a friend. Happy to say
I have self proclaimed hippies and self proclaimed rednecks as friends. When the SHTF I hope both are on board.
NRA Life Member
GOCRA Member
sawgrass

Postby tazdevil on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:01 pm

Squib Joe wrote:IANAW, but this sounds to me like just a general state of heightened anxiety which may or may not be due to the firearm being in the home. I'm assuming the gun is locked up? If it isn't, that may help at first.

We make jokes, but going from being an unarmed to an armed family isn't easy for everyone, there can be a little transition period before everyone realizes that the gun won't suddenly jump up and start spraying bullets ;)

Ahh Joe, there was this movie that that happened in, don't you remember the 80's? (Maximum overdrive-cheesy 80's flick with nothing but AC/DC music {that was the good part}).

My wife used to be very uptight about me carrying. Guns in the house, after I bought a large safe and bolted it down (that was before that incident at the lake, but that's another story), she had no problem with. Now she doesn't even know when I'm carrying unless I tell her. She's also become very used to it, and after a incident a few weeks ago, prefers I carry.
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby Snowgun on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:19 pm

I am was in the exact same boat you were. My wife is from latte drinking seattle, and I'm from Nodak.

Initially having her go bird hunting with us broke her in a little. She got to walk the field with us, enjoy nature, saw how serious we were about safety, pet the dogs, marvel how the dogs were good for something besides ******* on the lawn. She eventually even shot some clays one time.

Then I got some handguns. She was very nervous about it, but I showed her how they work and where they lived. The fact that I was competition shooting helped her understand that they were tools/sporting equipment.

When I purchased my first carry gun and got my permit, she was nervous again. Que questions of "why do you need that" and all. Again, calm explanations of logic, and showing how it is just a tool, and how it was a way to protect her and the kids won through.

So, time and demystification are the keys. She still doesn't really shoot, and is probably not interested in it, and will probably never carry, but she is totally blase' about me having guns.
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Re: Re: I would appreciate a female perspective.

Postby Irish.40 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:22 am

sawgrass wrote:
FrauNoodleberg wrote:
ali_squidz wrote:[quote="Mrs. Tim Warner"]Beyond that, get her some xanex and a 40oz.

x3

You know the OP is fairly new here and posted something personal requesting advice.
I doubt he was looking for judgement. This is their life and this is his wife who is being dinged.
None of us know the circumstances regarding her hesitation. I can't understand how it benefits them or
anyone posting to start taking pot shots at his wife.[/quote]

Thank you.

Sent from my EVO 4g using Tapatalk.
Glock 23
Hornady JHP
Crossbreed Belt
Blackhawk Serpa Level II
"There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -James Madison
Irish.40

Postby Sherry on Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:33 pm

Yeah, way to go guys. You just ttly smack talked this guy's poor wife when he was just asking for a little advice. MANS OUT OF THE POWDER ROOM! >_<

Helpful suggestions- I just found out about some good upcoming classes at the Oakdale orientation last night. I am going to try to get some friends from school to go. There is the Women on Target class which is more trigger time, and then there is a three day Into to Firearms with trigger time at the end.They are coming up in the next few months. ttousi would have lots of info, or check out the OGC website.
Sherry

Postby J No on Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:50 pm

Tell her you are going to take a gun safety class. More education is a good thing, right?

The safety class just happens to qualify for a permit to carry. Get the permit, but think of it as a 5 yr permit to purchase.

My wife took the carry class, then almost had to again because she did not apply for the permit. She got it mostly so she would not get into trouble if she borrowed my truck with the range bag in the back seat. Get pulled over for no signal, and all of sudden you are in big trouble.

Start carrying when she is not around. Get used to it. At home lock it up. Lock up the ammo too. Tell her the ammo and gun are separately locked up.

Best of all--it is a new hobby, but don't talk about it in front of her. Don't look up guns on the internet. Forget about it for a while.
J No

Postby Dakotared on Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:48 pm

THE DEAD HAS RISEN!!!!

You do know this was like 4 years ago. If the OP still needed help with this, it is a lost cause!
Dakotared

Postby J No on Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:42 pm

Oops!!

LOL. Hope he got his carry permit.
J No

Previous

Return to The Powder Room