First time carrying in public- the winning holster is....

A place for women to discuss firearms and other issues specific to women.
Forum rules
Refrain from snide comments, inside jokes, thread drift, and personal attacks or you may lose your posting privileges.

Aggressively moderated

Postby revolvess on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:55 pm

So I finally got my permit in the mail last week and carried for the very first time this afternoon on a shopping trip. I know some people say the first time you carry it is so nerve racking and you constantly check to make sure your gun isn't printing, etc. But I can honestly say I didn't feel uncomfortable....and my holster of choice? My flash bang bra holster! Surprisingly comfortable and amazingly concealable (34d, mind you) I would suggest you check it out, ladies! Its going to be perfect to wear in church tomorrow. Not going to have to worry about people putting hands on if I get a hug or prayed for. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
revolvess

Re: First time carrying in public- the winning holster is....

Postby Ron Burgundy on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:02 pm

revolvess wrote:?..and my holster of choice? My flash bang bra holster! Surprisingly comfortable and amazingly concealable (34d, mind you) I would suggest you check it out

:picsneeded:

Ok, I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist. I'm glad you fond something that works for you. I'm still searching for the perfect holster.
Ron Burgundy

Postby revolvess on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:14 pm

Not a perfect holster, but definitely works when my other holsters aren't going to be the best option.
revolvess

Postby westhope on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:26 pm

What gun do you carry?
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby revolvess on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:47 pm

Kahr pm9.

revolvess

Postby farmerj on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:26 pm

Seems about as safe as a shoulder holster.

I would NOT allow that in a defensive handgun class.

I have a wife I am trying to help figure out what she will carry with too.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:03 am

This subject matter definitely needs more exposure !!!! :D

Dang it .......... the dirty Oldman in me rears his ugly face again.
OldmanFCSA

Postby revolvess on Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:11 am

I'm curious about what it is that you wouldn't allow the holster? I don't think it will be my main go to. But its definitely going to give me some flexibility to still be able to carry when certain clothes or situations wouldn't allow otherwise. And its on my body verses a purse.
revolvess

Postby farmerj on Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:21 am

I would not allow it because you are sweeping the firing line.

As well as putting your support side arm directly in FRONT of the muzzle while holstering AND drawing it.

Much the same way one would with a shoulder holster.

I also seriously doubt that ANYONE could draw in less than 2 seconds with that holster if they were truly just carrying it and "unprepared" as she is in the video.

Do a search for Cokato II which was a class we had during a blizzard in Feb. The most common reaction was how much more difficult it REALLY Is when you are dressed for a MN winter.
Last edited by farmerj on Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby revolvess on Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:23 am

I should mention I really like my iwb holster from the same company. Its called the Ava. The leather comes pliable enough that it molded to my hip right away and its sueded (purple!) on the back so its super soft on the skin.
revolvess

Postby farmerj on Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:30 am

I am NOT asking because of being a perv.

I am asking because it's a REAL concern for ladies. But HOW does that thing sit. Basically, for a real picture of it unconcealed. What's the difference of seeing a lady in a bra vs a bikini swimsuit really?

I can't find anything that should how it mounts/attaches etc on their website.

Yeah, Ttousi and DonL even had us using purses during Cokato II for our Personal Protection instructor course. Sorry, I draw the line at putting on a bra though to test one of these things out.

Same with how I teach retention shooting for women. There are just facts that breasts HAVE to be adjusted for in that practice. I know I would NOT want a person causing harm to themselves with either a technique or a holster.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby ronin069 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:31 am

Farmer has a very good point about accessibility, your bra-holster is similar in concept to the 5.11 compressed t-shirt holster I wear when I need to be in 'deep cover' for a work function or certain family events.

When I first got my permit (similar to you), I wore it all the time and felt comfortable because I was carrying and no-one knew it...guess what, once I started practicing an actual draw, it was SCARY! Congrats on your decision to carry something to defend yourself, I would just encourage you to ensure that you can access your firearm in a reasonable amount of time if needed.
"The gun chooses you, you don't choose the gun"
- my wife
ronin069

Postby farmerj on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:39 am

and I do have a couple ladies that are wanting to take my defensive handgun course with me this spring/summer. I just need to provide a date for that class.

Not the first women in one of my classes, just first for me in defensive handgun.

From a guys perspective, it's rather interesting trying to figure out ways to discuss what CAN be a rather uncomfortable subject.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby revolvess on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:48 pm

Yes, I can see why this would not be a good choice for the range. I would never consider it for such use, but just wanted to know why you're not a fan. And yes, it definitely wouldn't be good for wearing underneath layers of coats in the winter. (Being yesterday was a warm 30 degrees, ha ha, I just wore a long sleeve shirt yesterday so I didn't have to worry about accessing it through tons of clothes.) I agree with everything I think you all have brought up about the holster. But I know its going to serve a great purpose for me in instances an iwb will not work.

As far as the fit, its a clam shell type holster that has a strap that clips around the center of the bra. However, the strap is not what is supposed to hold the brunt of the weight, but instead the bra band itself. So yes, it changes the way the bra fits. And anyone who tells you otherwise I would have a hard time believing. Most of my pm9 is tucked up under and held in place by the band, with just the grip hanging out below. Despite it changing the way the tissue is distributed, it is surprisingly comfortable and very concealable. I don't know how the fit would change for someone larger or smaller than me. One thing I'm concerned about is how it will change the longevity of my bras! Although I don't plan on this being my primary way of carrying, I can for see doing it a lot in the summer. I imagine it will wear out a bra band rather quickly. So yes, the holster is not perfect and comes with its own special areas of concern, but overall its a keeper in my book. In would love to hear from some other women who've tried it, but its not looking good. :)

I'll have to think about the pictures.......

revolvess

Postby farmerj on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:15 pm

found a good source for more information on these.

http://ultimateconcealedcarry.com/flashbang-videos
Current moon phase
farmerj

Next

Return to The Powder Room