what kind of pepper spray for my daughter

A place for women to discuss firearms and other issues specific to women.
Forum rules
Refrain from snide comments, inside jokes, thread drift, and personal attacks or you may lose your posting privileges.

Aggressively moderated

what kind of pepper spray for my daughter

Postby mulske on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 pm

my 18 yr old daughter is going to graduate hs in about a month and I have talked to her about carring a pepper spray and she wants one and I think its a good idea cause 1 in 4 woman are raped in college. so any advice on what to get her will be more then aperciated
mulske

Re: what kind of pepper spray for my daughter

Postby farmerj on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:41 pm

pay for her to take the summer classes at a martial arts school in self-defense.

pepper spray is a tool only.

She really needs her mind to be trained how to handle the situation.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Countryfried Frank on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:53 pm

Freeze +P is CS and OC. Even if the capsaicin fails to affect the target the effects of the CS will still interfere with normal vision. Other brands may have similar formulations.

+1 for training.
"Sometimes we have to get really high to see how small we are." - Felix Baumgartner
Countryfried Frank

Postby gman1868 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:22 pm

Fox Labs makes what most people agree is the best stuff. http://www.foxlabs.com/products.shtml

You can get a "Personal Pocket Unit" that can be put on a keychain http://www.foxlabs.com/pepperspray.shtml

They have a number of different sizes in addition to the pocket sized unit.

Keep in mind that not all states have the same laws about pepper spray, so make sure you and you daughter understand them if she goes to college in another state.

11 Gram Canisters and Key Chain Release Units

These unassuming 'mini' sprays are ideal for carrying in a shirt pocket, boot, vehicle or for hand-held concealment for close-in encounters. Their size is small, but the effects are big! They come in both canister and multi-color key chain units. The 11 Gram Units and Key Chain Release Units are the exact same unit.

11 Gram Canisters

These 11 Gram canisters can be used all by themselves or as replacements for our Key Chain Release Units. Either way, you are still getting FOX’s famous formulas.

11 Gram Key Chain Release Units

These little units are a big favorite with the ladies, although many guys carry them, too. They are small enough to carry in a pocket or handbag, or with your keys using the removable key chain "release" rings that come with the units.
Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby Motoman on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:20 pm

I recommend Freeze +P. It works really well :D
Mike

Osseo, MN 07/02 FFL & SOT
NRA Law Enforcement Instructor Pistol/Shotgun
MN/FL/WI/AZ Permit to Carry Instructor
Motoman

Postby elroy on Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:12 am

You have to convince her that when she's walking home after dark or such that the pepper spray has GOT to be in her hand, not in her her purse or pocket. If she is attacked, she will not be able to get to it in time.
USCCA Training Counselor
MCPPA Instructor - http://www.MNTactics.com
NRA - Basic Pistol and Personal Protection in the Home Instructor
MN DNR Firearm Safety Instructor
25 years of Law Enforcement Experience
elroy

Postby cobb on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:39 pm

I have seen info that makes FOX brand questionable when used, wasp spray also works.
I have been certified as a Sabre Red instructor, so I am partial to their product.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby Squib Joe on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:46 pm

I've stocked quite a few different brands. Sabre is the only one that never been returned for leaking or losing pressure. And from what I've seen, it works very well.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby LewisClark on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:31 pm

Last week when we were searching the same for one of our friends we came across various names and also what to look in when buying. 1st you should look how much percentage of pepper does it contain and is it foam or just a liquid. We then purchased Wildfire pepper spray as it contains 18% of pepper whereas normally pepper sprays contain 10%. You can also look for them here : http://www.tbotech.com/pepper-spray/wil ... -spray.htm
LewisClark

Postby Hanns on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:53 pm

I was a bouncer for years and always had good luck with Freeze +P when hosing down combative frat trash. It works well, a second or two spray to the eyes would usually take the fight right out of them and if not they had a lot harder time landing punches when blind.

My recommendation is the 2 oz flip top. It's small enough to easily carry in the hand and the flip top keeps it from accidentally going off in a cluttered purse. FWIW.
Hanns

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:05 am

My daughter prefers the spray of burnt gunpowder from her 44Special "purse" gun, which is not carried in a purse.

She has pepper spray also for where she cannot "carry". Will ask her what brand she carries.
OldmanFCSA

Postby EAJuggalo on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:00 pm

Is she going to school in state or elsewhere? State laws vary as to what is allowable, I know that is a secondary concern but still one that should be addressed.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Return to The Powder Room