Teaching my Wife, how to

A place for women to discuss firearms and other issues specific to women.
Forum rules
Refrain from snide comments, inside jokes, thread drift, and personal attacks or you may lose your posting privileges.

Aggressively moderated

Teaching my Wife, how to

Postby harryset on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:18 am

My wife is one of those people who almost doesn't want to go into any room in the house that has a firearm in it. I don't want to turn her into a ninja, or anything like that, but I do want to get her to be more comfortable around them.

My first thought was to make her sit on the porch with my dog, while I did a little noise sensitivity training. (both her and the dog) Then ease her into standing with me while I do the same. I figure if I start with the .22's and work my way up might work.

Any helpful ideas would be appreciated.
stercus accidit
It's not the LAWS you necessarily have to worry about, it's how the laws are regulated.

Send Me
harryset

Re: Teaching my Wife, how to

Postby Hmac on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:25 am

harryset wrote:
My first thought was to make her sit on the porch with my dog, while I did a little noise sensitivity training. (both her and the dog) Then ease her into standing with me while I do the same. I figure if I start with the .22's and work my way up might work.

And the if she does well with that, you could give her a little biscuit.

Seriously though...all relationships are different. In mine, I respect my wife's attitudes and beliefs even if I don't share them, and she respects mine. I'm trying to think how it would work in my house if I tried to "make her sit on the porch with my dog, while I did a little noise sensitivity training".

Nope. That's a non-starter around here, but maybe you'll have more luck.
Hmac

Postby JJ on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:27 am

NRA Women on Target clinic?

Being in a clinic surrounded by other women being introduced to firearms can be a pretty powerful thing.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Teaching my Wife, how to

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:54 am

If you have a Gander Mountain with their virtual range nearby it may be an option to start with
gun_fan111v2

Postby george on Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:38 pm

I gave mine a Charter Arms pink lady with 38 snap caps and a speed loader. Now she has her permit and a Lavender Lady too.
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby harryset on Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:14 pm

gun_fan111v2 wrote:If you have a Gander Mountain with their virtual range nearby it may be an option to start with

We have a local Gander Mountain, but we're even lucky that it has as much as a bathroom.
stercus accidit
It's not the LAWS you necessarily have to worry about, it's how the laws are regulated.

Send Me
harryset

Postby my1stpistol on Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:01 pm

I feel your pain. My wife was not against guns perse. But began to get uncomfortable the more I bought. After a couple sessions with a friend's single shot 22 and me getting some training she is fine. Got 1 in( that she knows how to use) The nightstand and she doesn't say a word when we head to the metro and a I am carrying. I think she's ready to try the 1911 soon. Shoots a 22 pistol better then me.

I guess my suggestion would be to let her handle 1 of your guns. Explain safety and how to use them slowly over time. I think it's mostly fear of the unkown.
my1stpistol

Postby farmerj on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:03 pm

We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby harryset on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:30 pm

farmerj wrote:https://youtu.be/jHwqbLMZhcA

She doesn't care for guns, but she is a real whiz with a kitchen knife.
stercus accidit

Send Me
harryset

Return to The Powder Room