Dakota Silencer free trust?

Postby LumberZach on Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:10 pm

First of all, it looks like this sub-forum is spelled wrong...

Anyway, I was at the game fair this weekend and saw Dakota silencer offers free trusts with a purchase. Does anyone know more or have any information? It sounds like Ben Rust has the gold star for mn trusts, does Dakota hold a candle to his? I might not have the money for the suppressor yet, but I've been thinking about having the trust set up soon.

Thanks guys.
LumberZach

Re: Dakota Silencer free trust?

Postby ttousi on Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:23 pm

First of all, it looks like this sub-forum is spelled wrong...

corrected
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby jshuberg on Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:48 pm

Deleted
Last edited by jshuberg on Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby LarryP on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:48 pm

Great Info & Advice Thanks
LarryP

Postby LumberZach on Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:15 am

Very good info. I haven't looked into Dakota at all, but I keep seeing their booth at events.
LumberZach

Postby bstrawse on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:30 am

Hire Ben or another competent attorney who has experience in NFA Trusts.

I wouldn't accept free legal work from anyone.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby blmaddox on Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:43 am

Dakota Silencer has no interest in combative or argumentative discussions. Our goal is simple, grow the silencer/suppressor market. When the market expands, everyone wins… other dealers, firearms owners, 2nd amendment advocates, etc. We are members of MN Weapons Collector’s, American Suppressor Association, and send monthly donations to GOCRA; all in pursuit of our goal of market expansion.

Dakota Silencer has been working gunshows up and down the western boarder of MN in SD and ND for many years (Grand Forks, Fargo, Watertown, Brookings, and Sioux Falls). We are the market leader in both these states. We assured MN residents at these gunshows, once approved, we would help them with their Class 3 needs.

We are not new to the silencer/suppressor market. We have six locations in six states and I serve on an ATF NFA national advisory board in DC, one of two class 3 dealers on this ATF advisory board; other members are Class 3 manufactures and wholesalers. 90% of our business comes from referrals and repeat customers; our business has doubled every year we have been in business.

When Gov. Dayton first signed the MN suppressor bill, there was much confusion on when the law went into effect. ATF NFA branch was using the Aug 1st date, this came from their local ATF office in St. Paul, which obtained this information from the MN Attorney General’s Office. We worked with attorney David Feinwachs to get the attorney general’s office to update local ATF and then NFA Branch of ATF to the correct July 1st date. Dakota Silencer had a FFL/SOT license in 2015 and renewed July 1st for 2016; we have been submitting form 4s through our MN license to ATF since early June. Sorry for any confusion, ATF gave us verbal permission to send before the July 1st date because of the delay in approvals.

Our free MN Gun Trust template was created by an attorney specializing in Trust law, who has been doing gun trusts for over 15 years. The template is ~ 20 pages. Every attorney and non-attorney selling Gun Trusts uses a template. Consult with Legal Zoom about templates for creating LLC, etc. if you need proof of template validity. Many of our attorney customers have loved having the MN Gun Trust template.

We are a class 3 dealer and can sell any NFA item to customers. We do have our own line of products built to our specification, which are very popular. By eliminating the wholesaler, we can keep prices lower and transfer times in to us are speed up by 2 to 3 months. Our Varminter 3.0 is 100% titanium and comes apart to clean, market leading suppression in a multi-caliber application. The firearms manufacture that makes these for us are the exact same manufacture that make Badger Ordinance and GA Precision. Ask anyone in the firearms industry or military their thoughts on quality of GA Precision and Badger Ordnance… we are confident “top of the line” will be the feedback.

Dakota Silencer owns a milspec sound meter, there are only two brands that meet the milspec standard. Testing is done in accordance with MIL-STD-1474D using our B&K 2209 SPL meter with B&K 4938 1/4” pressure microphone, about a $15k setup. I suspect we are the only dealer in the Midwest with this type of setup. We test 15 to 20 different .223 and .308 silencers each year, our tests are for helping customers make buying decisions, a value add in dealing with a company that owns a milspec sound meter. You may have seen our meter on the Son’s of Guns TV show.

Dakota Silencer is working to grow the Class 3 market and everyone will benefit from this effort. We have employees in MN and look forward to meeting and working with you. Meet our team http://www.dakotasilencer.com/about-dak ... -3-dealer/

Brandon L. Maddox, Pharmacist, MBA
Owner, Dakota Silencer

Review Brandon’s feedback on Linked In from customers that have worked with him. https://www.linkedin.com/in/brandonmaddoxffl123
blmaddox

Postby 20mm on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:23 pm

blmaddox wrote: We are members of MN Weapons Collector’s, American Suppressor Association, and send monthly donations to GOCRA; all in pursuit of our goal of market expansion.

LOL, you might want to reconsider the GOCRA. They apparently think you're just a scammer who sells inferior products that don't even have an FDA approval.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby bstrawse on Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:22 am

20mm wrote:
blmaddox wrote: We are members of MN Weapons Collector’s, American Suppressor Association, and send monthly donations to GOCRA; all in pursuit of our goal of market expansion.

LOL, you might want to reconsider the GOCRA. They apparently think you're just a scammer who sells inferior products that don't even have an FDA approval.

Where has GOCRA said that?
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby photogpat on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:40 am

20mm wrote:

I've seen plenty of individuals on here and on Facebook who have had less than stellar experiences with Dakota - but I haven't seen GOCRA slam them.

Go troll somewhere else 19mm....
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Ghost on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:10 am

bstrawse wrote:
20mm wrote:

Where has GOCRA said that?

I think he's referring to Jshubergs comments above. However personal opinion and GOCRA are two different things.
Ghost

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:05 am

The firearm industry is full of wild performance and reliability claims on everything from firearms lubricants to magical piston driven AR conversions or magical tactical pants that reduce your split times... it's the marketing guy's job to highlight <and sometimes stretch> the benefits of their product, and the consumers job to wade through the ******** and make an educated purchase decision with pretty much everything from gun accessories to toilet paper. A fool and their money will be soon parted, etc..

As far as using a specialized lawyer versus templates to create an NFA trust, I'd again say good judgement is required. Having a lawyer create your individualized NFA paperwork at $250+ an hour is not going to protect you from the sort of ATF overreach we've seen with the whole SIG Brace fiasco or the "green tip" mess that almost was, though it will certainly lighten your wallet and possibly place suppressor ownership out of reach for many law abiding citizens. I'd certainly be interested in knowing about specific examples of cases in which individuals have been thrown in federal prison because of the way their NFA paperwork was filed due to having used a templates vs. individual legal council. Otherwise I'm inclined to believe that the paperwork involved is perfectly suited for a Legal Zoom style template that some of these outfits offer, followed by a short consult with a lawyer who specializes in NFA trusts to double check the work as an extra level of protection if desired for your peace of mind.
yuppiejr

Postby bstrawse on Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:15 pm

Ghost wrote:I think he's referring to Jshubergs comments above. However personal opinion and GOCRA are two different things.

Jeff (and he can confirm this) - does not speak for GOCRA. Nor do I, for that matter.
bstrawse

Postby jshuberg on Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:10 pm

Deleted
Last edited by jshuberg on Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Andrew Rothman on Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:37 am

Just for the record, Bryan is correct. Although he has long been a generous contributor of both time and money to GOCRA, Jeff Shuberg would be the first to tell you that his opinions are his own.

Exactly two people are authorized to speak on behalf of GOCRA: its president (hi there!), and Professor Joseph E. Olson, GOCRA co-founder and Chairman of the Board.

Andrew Rothman
President
Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance
Andrew Rothman

Return to Suppressors