Dealer to transfer new suppressor from out of state?

Re: Dealer to transfer new suppressor from out of state?

Postby warrlac on Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:07 pm

Breaking News! The Modern Sportsman Form 4 status update!

See below.

Wait for it.

Still waiting after 2 years, 2 months and 5 days...

warrlac wrote:Accutac Arms is by far the best choice, hands down.

A word of caution about buying NFA through The Modern Sportsman in Burnsville. I purchased a Daniel Defense Wave QD silencer from there on Black Friday of 2018. The (trust) Form 4 paperwork was done on December 20, 2018. I waited a year and then called them out. They apologized and blamed the problem on the ATF moving its offices. I refiled the Form 4 paperwork on February 20, 2020. When I called the ATF in June to check on my serial number, they had no record of it. The Modern Sportsman fired the guy who was doing its NFA paperwork this summer and I had to re-submit the whole Form 4 package a third time in late August of this year with one of the new employees there...

I feel that if I am lucky I might get the tax stamp for my November 2018 purchase sometime around mid-summer 2021.

nhluke wrote:I've used a few places... Accutac will be my next.
One benefit to a place like modern sportsman or a place with a range is you can shoot it at their facility while you wait for the one year of stupidity to end. I'll assume your friend is getting something for a rifle to shoot at longer than indoor ranges so it's not a selling point.

If your buddy is really from Wisconsin, Accutac gives beer vouchers to a lil spot near their shop.
warrlac

Postby BigBlue on Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:09 pm

Don't be so impatient...
BigBlue

Postby Erud on Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:54 pm

warrlac wrote:Breaking News! The Modern Sportsman Form 4 status update!

See below.

Wait for it.

Still waiting after 2 years, 2 months and 5 days...

That really sucks, man. I got excited when my check to the ATF cleared the bank in December. I called my Wisconsin dealer buddy and asked him if that meant that the wait was over and he said "They just cashed that now? That usually happens in the first 30 days." So that's probably not a good sign, since I sent the check in August. I really should have done this before the world ended...
Erud

Postby nhluke on Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:30 pm

That is fiasco! Bummer to hear that. I wasn't reccomending Modern Sportsman specifically but just trying to point out one possible advantage of a dealer with a range on site. I can't even reccomend the places I've used because there were mix ups as well.
Arnzen has a pretty helpful guy that seems to handles most of their nfa items and Accutac was solid in my opinion. I have yet to try Amazon and their solvent traps but it probably has a shorter wait than 3 years.
I'm hoping to buy the newer Omega this winter and begin another test of patience. Maybe I'll check Stock and Barrel wink wink
nhluke

Postby Mncarbon15 on Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:22 pm

I’m going thru the same thing now but with Accutac. They will not respond to any emails/text or phone calls. I’m going to be in touch with a lawyer this week. I can not believe how this has been handled. I wish I could say they are the answer but think again I purchased in June of 2018 and I only get a smug shrug of the shoulders when I go in. No accountability what so ever.
Mncarbon15

Postby Erud on Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:50 am

Mncarbon15 wrote:I’m going thru the same thing now but with Accutac. They will not respond to any emails/text or phone calls. I’m going to be in touch with a lawyer this week. I can not believe how this has been handled. I wish I could say they are the answer but think again I purchased in June of 2018 and I only get a smug shrug of the shoulders when I go in. No accountability what so ever.

If you don’t mind me asking, what specifically is going on with yours? I’m at 7 months and assume that I have a ways to go yet, but being my first one I don’t know for sure. ATF cashed my check in December. Thanks
Erud

Postby Jackpine Savage on Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:40 am

I've had two stamps approved right at five months after the check was cashed. The checks were cashed the 1st of Sept and approved the end of January. These were on a trust. One stamp took eleven days to get to the dealer, the other took almost four weeks.

From reading various forums five months seems to be the rolling average right now.
Jackpine Savage

Postby Erud on Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:53 am

Jackpine Savage wrote:I've had two stamps approved right at five months after the check was cashed. The checks were cashed the 1st of Sept and approved the end of January. These were on a trust. One stamp took eleven days to get to the dealer, the other took almost four weeks.

From reading various forums five months seems to be the rolling average right now.

Good info, thank you.
Erud

Postby Mncarbon15 on Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:55 am

Erud wrote:
Mncarbon15 wrote:I’m going thru the same thing now but with Accutac. They will not respond to any emails/text or phone calls. I’m going to be in touch with a lawyer this week. I can not believe how this has been handled. I wish I could say they are the answer but think again I purchased in June of 2018 and I only get a smug shrug of the shoulders when I go in. No accountability what so ever.

If you don’t mind me asking, what specifically is going on with yours? I’m at 7 months and assume that I have a ways to go yet, but being my first one I don’t know for sure. ATF cashed my check in December. Thanks

I have no idea what is going on and that is the problem. After calling him out online he has now responded and is sending them on for me to try at another dealer. At the two year mark it is not the “process” any more. I have four other cans two from him and two from another dealer. Both went seamlessly. Mine got lost in the shuffle and after being told over and over and over it would be looked into and not getting any response I’m going to start over somewhere else.
Mncarbon15

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:06 pm

That sucks.
Holland&Holland

Postby warrlac on Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:44 pm

Mncarbon15 wrote:
Erud wrote:

I have no idea what is going on and that is the problem. After calling him out online he has now responded and is sending them on for me to try at another dealer. At the two year mark it is not the “process” any more. I have four other cans two from him and two from another dealer. Both went seamlessly. Mine got lost in the shuffle and after being told over and over and over it would be looked into and not getting any response I’m going to start over somewhere else.

I've been thinking a lot about this since I'm still waiting for my tax stamp after 818 days. I my case, the FFL (The Modern Sportsman) botched two submittals to the ATF. This burned up over a year and a half. Unfortunately, nobody at the FFL ever checked on my Form 4 or (later) admitted that they had not submitted the paperwork or payments correctly. Instead, because it was easier for them, they constantly blamed the ATF. After all, The BATF is a large bureaucratic government entity, why not blame them?

Having purchased the NFA item on Black Friday 2018, my trust paperwork was only submitted correctly and properly on September 4, 2020. As of the week of March 4, 2021 the ATF sent The Modern Sportsman a Correction Letter related to my Form 4. The ATF told the FFL that my kids (who are beneficiary trustees) now have to be finger printed and photographed. The new person doing the paperwork at TMS has not had a lot of NFA experience (mostly does shipping) and, upon receiving the correction letter, simply asked me to pick a time to drag my children into the gun range to be inked and mug-shoted... I told her that I would walk away from this silencer before doing that.

What I did do was contact knowledgeable NFA people.

Within 3 working days I had a trust amendment in my hands that changed the definition of who can possess an NFA item per my trust. The NFA person at TMS didn't think of this and in my opinion probably didn't care how inconvenient it would be for me and my family to drag us in yet a 4th time. After all, I had dutifully come back 3 times with my spouse to be printed and photographed over the course of two years, right?

As of this week, I am under the impression that the ATF is in possession of my amended gun trust. I am of course still waiting.

So the moral to this story is to remain highly skeptical of your FFL's actions and to validate, check and verify regularly. I believe that this FFL got into NFA products without fully thinking through how it was going to properly serve its customers. As a matter of fact, I was told by one of the staff there that if they could, they would like to simply stop selling them.

Is the ATF a large, slow bureaucratic mud hole? Maybe, but it would be nice if seller incompetence were not added into the mix as well.
warrlac

Postby Jackpine Savage on Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:47 pm

Hope you guys get sorted out without any more pain. The process is bad enough when it works correctly.

My journey, knock on wood, hasn't had any problems so far. I bought a trust through Ben Rust several years ago. Then I procrastinated and waited on the Hearing Protection Act, ha. Then I decided I better get it done before they banned them or something.

I went through Silencer Shop. They had a dealer about 60 miles from me (Jim Pixley), with a kiosk that electronically takes your fingerprints. I uploaded my trust and photograph. After you do it the first time it is almost too easy to buy another ;).

So, for others considering a suppressor, don't be discouraged and give up before you start. As for the long wait it's kind of like planting a tree. The best time to do it was last year, the second best time is right now! The more people that own them the better!
Jackpine Savage

Postby Mncarbon15 on Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:22 pm

Good read warrlock,
I know everyone is busy and trust rules have changed. I have not even been asked by Accutac for prints or photos. I bought my cans on the promise from silencerco of buy one get one, or in my case buy three get two. Well that never happened... it has been a very odd deal from the time I bought with no serial numbers on a promise of delivery of 5 cans. It was about a year later realized that a email asking me to esign with nothing in the email header as to who it was from other then the dealers personal name not the business name asking me to sign was sent six months prior. One email from DocuSign not from his business. The header was miss mash of numbers and Dillon. No phone calls, one email. It has been one miss step after another with no answers. Time will tell how it goes down for me. I will keep posting as I now requested them sent to another dealer. I have never got a written response from him text, email or messenger. Let alone a phone call after countless documented times reaching out to him. My in store visits have all been “it’s the process and I’ll let you know”
Mncarbon15

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:57 pm

Seems poor customer service is only amplified when a government process gets added to the mix.
Holland&Holland

Previous

Return to Suppressors