QD Suppressor - Wandering Zero

QD Suppressor - Wandering Zero

Postby warrlac on Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:28 pm

Today I did some testing with a Daniel Defense WAVE QD suppressor on a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. After establishing a new 200 yd. zero with the suppressor attached, I removed it and noted the POI shift for the un-suppressed barrel. After re-attaching the can I observed that the POI did not return to where it was before. It had moved approximately .75 moa.

I did some research this afternoon and it seems that some people call this a "wandering zero". There is a post on Snipers Hide in the PRS section that talks about how QD suppressors in general are not as good as direct thread (read repeatable) and therefore not suitable for long range.

Just wondering whether anyone on MGTalk may have experience with this phenomenon? For my next range session I am going to attach the WAVE QD firmly to the mount and lock the ring completely. Note the POI, remove the can, re-install it the same way and then re-check POI. Frankly, if it won't hold a reasonably tight zero I will probably return to the muzzle brake that was on the rifle when I got it. I was able to consistently shoot 1/2 MOA with 120 grain SMK's before I started messing with the WAVE QD stuff.

Overall, I am not that impressed with the DD WAVE QD. It is a cool 3D printed can, but it heats up really quickly and I have tried it now on two different rifles (the other was a FN SCAR 17s) and it did not stand out as an improvement particularly in the accuracy department.
warrlac

Re: QD Suppressor - Wandering Zero

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:23 pm

No help here but I read this as well. Still waiting on my Thunder Beast can for my precision 6.5. Hoping this does not have this same issue.
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:28 am

I don't have any experience with suppressors, but any time you screw a muzzle device onto your barrel you run the risk of changing barrel harmonics. What I would suggest trying is indexing your suppressor in some way to assure you're returning it to the exact same spot every time you screw it on.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Bitter Bastard on Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:02 am

I think it mostly depends on the mount. For example, my 3-lug can on my 9mm AR will change POI a lot depending on which of the lugs it gets put on. Apparently that is a known issue with 3-lug cans. The solution is to just leave it on. I'd guess I would see the same thing after taking the baffle stack out for cleaning.

With a Sig SRD .30 can and their QD mount, I notice no shift from multiple mounts/dismounts. Direct thread cans are also repeatable in my experience. That's my experience from a fairly small sample size.

Good luck!

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby samginko on Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:47 am

My asr Mount does not show any shifting. I shot at 200 OGC.
samginko

Postby warrlac on Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:35 pm

Follow-up post:

The wind died down today and I took more care in consistently securing the DD Wave QD to the mount. Summary -- I am satisfied with the suppressor for the moment. When installed with a firm, bottom-out and locked connection the can is holding zero. Below is a 4-shot 200 yd group. The gun is holding around 1 MOA in my opinion. (The last shot on the left was one that I could feel was not quite crisp)

I like shooting with a suppressor simply for the avoidance of having to wear hearing protection. The supersonic crack is still substantial, but in my opinion tolerable.

When some of the other board members get their cans out I'd be interested in knowing what their experiences with mounting and removal yields...
P7070161.JPG
July 7 2022 200 yd 4-shot group 6.5 Creedmoor
warrlac

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:06 pm

Late to the game. I’ll test this with my 308 and sandman-s. I do know my groups tighten up with the suppressor on last time I was out, 2 years ago. Any weight on the barrel will change the harmonics of the barrel. Leave it on if you zero’d with it on. Have you shot longer with it yet?
Bearcatrp

Return to Suppressors