Registering an NFA weapon [inc Suppressors] via trust

Re: Registering an NFA weapon via trust

Postby 28_days on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:55 pm

Regarding 4H, in your example you would engrave the following?
J.M. Doe NFA Trust -- whatever the trust is named
City, Stay

?

Does the trust name NEED to include parts of your name, or is that just common? Can I use my initials?
Best Regards,
28_days
28_days

Registering an NFA weapon via trust

Postby jshuberg on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:12 pm

Lots of good questions and comments, both here and via PMs! I'll call BATFE tomorrow before answering those that I don't know the answers to, and update the original post.

I'm happy you guys think the write up is informative, it took awhile to dig up my notes and type it all up. Thanks for letting me know it was worth the effort :)
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Hmac on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:12 am

Rulemaking changes in NFA Trusts....see this post viewtopic.php?f=52&t=37666
Hmac

Postby JustPlainT on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:50 am

28_days wrote:Does the trust name NEED to include parts of your name, or is that just common?

No. You could have the trust name be "The Zombie Apocalypse Trust" and it would be legally valid.

Names are just common.

However, see potential for changes regarding trusts as noted before me.
Midwest Defense Institute, LLC
Quality Training at an Affordable Cost
JustPlainT

Postby jshuberg on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:00 pm

Well, I finally got through to Jason Frushour at the BATFE NFA branch. I asked him what the process is for a resident of MN purchasing a suppressor in WI, to store and use in WI. We discussed a few different scenarios, but he doesn't think that it's currently possible to do this. I think I'm going to take it to the next step and write the NFA branch and get a determination letter on this.

The reason I think it should be possible, is that if a person who lived in WI purchased a suppressor, and then moved to MN, he could continue to own his suppressor provided he keep in in WI (or any other state where suppressors are legal). Since it is possible to own a suppressor physically located in another state, I believe there should then also be a way to purchase a suppressor and physically keep it in another state. At least I think it's worth pursuing a little further.

EDIT

I was questioned why I would post this here. It's a question a few people have asked me recently after posting the big write up about purchasing NFA items via trust. I figured I'd post the answer that BATFE gave me for those who are also interested.
NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby MNGunGuy on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:54 am

Does anyone here have a class 3 dealer they've used in the past for transfers they would recommend?
MNGunGuy

Postby Snowgun on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:54 pm

jshuberg wrote:Well, I finally got through to Jason Frushour at the BATFE NFA branch. I asked him what the process is for a resident of MN purchasing a suppressor in WI, to store and use in WI. We discussed a few different scenarios, but he doesn't think that it's currently possible to do this. I think I'm going to take it to the next step and write the NFA branch and get a determination letter on this.

The reason I think it should be possible, is that if a person who lived in WI purchased a suppressor, and then moved to MN, he could continue to own his suppressor provided he keep in in WI (or any other state where suppressors are legal). Since it is possible to own a suppressor physically located in another state, I believe there should then also be a way to purchase a suppressor and physically keep it in another state. At least I think it's worth pursuing a little further.

EDIT

I was questioned why I would post this here. It's a question a few people have asked me recently after posting the big write up about purchasing NFA items via trust. I figured I'd post the answer that BATFE gave me for those who are also interested.

This is the exact question I wanted to ask. If the other two people in my trust live in north dakota for instance, and the suppressor will be used and stored in ND, can I purchase it as a resident of MN? Or do I have to have one of my other "trust" members purchase the equipment?
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby jshuberg on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:01 am

My most recent Form 1 Application was kicked back to me. BATFE now also wants you to send them a copy of all your trust documents, including schedule A - assignment of property. A trust must own property to be valid, and BATFE wants to ensure that the trust owns property before approving form 1/4 applications. If there is property owned by the trust that isn't any of BATFE's business, you can redact those lines but they still need to see your schedule A to verify the trust is valid. If the trust currently owns NFA weapons, they must be listed. If you don't send them a copy of your schedule A, they will kick your application back to you. You can simply fax them a copy if they kick your request back, but it will undoubtedly add additional time to the process.

Original thread updated to reflect this.
NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby jshuberg on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:11 am

Snowgun wrote:This is the exact question I wanted to ask. If the other two people in my trust live in north dakota for instance, and the suppressor will be used and stored in ND, can I purchase it as a resident of MN? Or do I have to have one of my other "trust" members purchase the equipment?

I haven't asked anyone about this, so I may be wrong, but I don't believe that would work. Your trust is only valid in the state it was created in. You can get temporary approval from BATFE on form 5320.20 to transport the weapon across state lines (only those states where the weapon is legal), but it is still owned by your trust, which exists in one specific state. I don't believe that it would be possible for your trust to purchase NFA weapons that are banned in the state the trust was created in, simply by the fact that some of the trustees live in a different state.

There may be a way for a Minnesotan to legally own a suppressor that is permanently stored in another state where suppressors are legal, but I haven't figured it out yet. I suspect that you would need to have a physical address in that state in order for it to work. And if you went the trust route, the trust would need to have been created in that state.
NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Registering an NFA weapon via trust

Postby Snowgun on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:21 pm

So if the trust was created in ND, everything would be fine, assuming say 2 of the trustees lived there, and only I lived in MN (and everything would be stored/used in ND)
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby jshuberg on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Let's say that someone who has a physical address in ND created a trust, and purchased a suppressor for the trust, and then made you a trustee. You would then legally be able to be in possession of the suppressor while you are in ND. You would also be able to take the suppressor into any state that allows them after first getting approval via BATFE form 5320.20. If you bring it into MN, you go bye-bye for a very long time though...

Double check with BATFE before doing any paperwork to ensure it will be approved, but I'm 99.9999% certain that this would be perfectly legal.
NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Drizzle on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:12 pm

I shot a full auto MP-5 at Bill's maybe seven years ago. As I read the posts, I see that while it would could be a pre-86 full auto sear in there, it probably wouldn't be a C&R firearm. How would it be legal? Owned by a dealer at post-sample?

Thanks for the update, it was very informative. I very much wish we could have legal suppressors here in MN.
Drizzle

Postby BC98 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:30 am

IIRC, dealers can own post-samples for the purpose of LE sales and/or demos.
BC98

Postby Ty179 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:31 pm

jshuberg wrote:My most recent Form 1 Application was kicked back to me. BATFE now also wants you to send them a copy of all your trust documents, including schedule A - assignment of property. A trust must own property to be valid, and BATFE wants to ensure that the trust owns property before approving form 1/4 applications. If there is property owned by the trust that isn't any of BATFE's business, you can redact those lines but they still need to see your schedule A to verify the trust is valid. If the trust currently owns NFA weapons, they must be listed. If you don't send them a copy of your schedule A, they will kick your application back to you. You can simply fax them a copy if they kick your request back, but it will undoubtedly add additional time to the process.

Original thread updated to reflect this.

Thank you for this information!
Ty179

Postby Johnny on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:37 pm

Im looking into building an SBR, the first of (hopefully) many. Im exercising the idea of registering with a Trust. What are the benefits of a Trust vs. Individual? and does anybody know of an attorney in the vicinity of Scott County who is familiar with doing such a thing?
Johnny

PreviousNext

Return to Suppressors