Bench suppressor

Bench suppressor

Postby Scratch on Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:20 pm

Not sure if I posted this topic already on this forum or not, but I couldn't find it so I'll post what started this project.

My previous post from another forum:

I have a small range down in my woods that I use for pistol and short rifle work. It’s at the bottom of a couple big hills and the noise isn't bad, but when I want to shoot a little longer distance, I can shoot from my deck at the top of the hill, down towards the pistol range and get almost 300 yards. I have a table setup just off the deck, where I setup and shoot down the hill. I have steel targets setup every 50 yards away.

The problem is that shooting there, I’m at the top of the hill, level with some of the neighbors. The noise is definitely louder for them when I shoot off the deck.

So I want to build a suppressor…
…out of a plastic 55 gallon barrel.

I know I should just get a real suppressor, but sometimes other people shoot their rifles here, and I thought if I had a dedicated, plastic barrel setup on my bench, it would work for all guns.

I have like 30 plastic barrels already, so why not give it a shot.

My problem is I don’t know much about suppressors. Never even shot one. Baffles, gas chambers, etc... I think they work on black magic don't they? I've seen people take plastic barrels, cut off an end, put that eggshell carton foam in there, and they supposedly work pretty well, (until the foam gets ripped to shreds) But the sound is only suppressed on the sides.

What I was thinking was, cut open the drum on one end, line the entire inside with like 3” foam padding, then put some long strand carpet over that to help keep the foam intact, then put the end back on, and cut like 2” wide by 4” high slots in both ends. For the rifle.

What I’m not sure about is, should I have some sort of baffle system in there? I think it would be easy to do out of plywood, and would strengthen it too, but I'm not sure it's needed. I know I should be using subsonic ammo to take full effect of it, but I'm just trying to make it a "little" quieter for my neighbors, and this seems like a quick easy project.

Well... I went and built one.

It works very well!
My wife was inside about 60 feet from the muzzle and could tell a huge difference she said.

Here's a video of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsZ8SzE8gKc
Last edited by Scratch on Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Re: Bench suppressor

Postby nhluke on Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:50 pm

I dig that you're crazy.
nhluke

Postby Scratch on Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:45 pm

nhluke wrote:I dig that you're crazy.

Thank you.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:29 pm

I've been playing with one made from corrugated drain pipe, plastic walled of course. If I can find enough trailer tires to stack in side to side to act as baffles, thus reducing the inside diameter even further it should be more effective.

Who needs a sound meter - I've got a bitchy neighbor that thinks I'm shooting her horses (her husband has asked me to shoot them) even when shooting in opposite direction.

This for 50BMG purposes, not the sub-caliber toys.
OldmanFCSA

Bench suppressor

Postby jshuberg on Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:51 pm

You're a maniac! You should have me out again sometime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Return to Suppressors