Dual purpose suppressor?

Dual purpose suppressor?

Postby ZardozCZ on Sun May 29, 2016 9:07 am

I've not thought much about getting a suppressor, but now that it would be lawful to do so, I am thinking about it, and wonder if it is possible that a suppressor for an AR in 5.56 would function well on a .22LR pistol like a S&W Model 41. The caliber is close enough that I'd think it would work, but the vast difference in pressure and velocity and gas volume would be huge.

Does anyone know if this would be possible/workable/advisable. Any pointers where I could go find out? Googling just gets me confused on this topic, theres so much I don't know that it's hard to know what I'm reading. Just the process of getting one sounds intimidating enough to not bother, but if I can get one for two firearms, it might be worthwhile. They've already got my fingerprints on file so I'm in no rush...

Thanks!
ZardozCZ

Re: Dual purpose suppressor?

Postby LarryFlew on Sun May 29, 2016 9:43 am

Possible but not probable. Asked that same question of people at Silencerco. The 22 is so much more dirty that 22 silencers are made to be taken apart and cleaned frequently while those for larger calibers are not. Second the larger caliber would be either a lot bigger around and obstructing the sights of your 22 or a lot longer hanging out of the end and throwing the balance way out of wack. While you probably could do it you might not like what you get if you did.

If you ever want to stop by and take a look at the Silencerco Sparrow for 22 give a shout. Works great on my CZ Kadet.
Last edited by LarryFlew on Sun May 29, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Ghost on Sun May 29, 2016 10:25 am

Buy a separate 22 can. They are cheaper and it will likely be your most used can. Buy once cry once then be happy happy happy.
Ghost

Postby 2in2out on Mon May 30, 2016 3:08 pm

I had the same basic question I asked myself, and ended up buying one of each for the reasons already mentioned. My only regret is that I didn't go with a .30 cal can instead of 5.56.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Scratch on Mon May 30, 2016 4:00 pm

I saw a couple of videos by 704 tactical where they had a 30 caliber suppressor and they ran it on a .308, .223, and .22lr and it seemed to be very sound suppressive on all of them. Made me think about getting a .30 caliber can and using it on everything.

Yes it would be very dirty on the .22lr but clean it and you should be fine.

Here's one of those videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soGbL0d-s1U
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby striped1 on Mon May 30, 2016 4:06 pm

If you are looking for one to try to do it all, check out the Liberty Mystic X. Fits many calibers. I do recommend getting one for .22 and then a .30 etc to fit the most. As already pointed out, .22 is very dirty and requires cleaning that the others do not.
striped1

Postby Squib Joe on Mon May 30, 2016 10:04 pm

The 30 caliber cans with the option to use a 5.56 end cap are far and above the most popular ones we've been selling.

These will work fine with rimfire but as mentioned above you will want it to be user serviceable for frequent cleaning. But still, the buildup won't be as bad as some might think as long as you regularly blow it out with high power rifle rounds as well as the rimfire.

On a rimfire pistol, the biggest problem will be weight and larger diameter which may be a problem with your existing sights. It may be a great excuse to get a red dot on there<?>

The one-size-fits-all 30 caliber cans that are user serviceable include the Griffin Optimus, Liberty Mystic X, and Huntertown Kestrel 308
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:27 pm

Just to jump in with a question. Don't own one but did shoot one when Del Tone had there suppressor day. You folks say get a 30 cal to do most calibers under 30 cal except the 22. Would it be wise to go a little bigger to cover say 308, 7mm, 6mm, etc.. or is that over board? When you do have a 30 cal but you want to use it on say a 6.5cm, will the can itself be moved to the other rifle that has the (not sure what its called) adapter on the rifle? Or do you remove it from your rifle (the adapter) to the other rifle? Thanks in advance for answering. Glad the OP brought this up as was thinking about this myself.
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:11 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Just to jump in with a question. Don't own one but did shoot one when Del Tone had there suppressor day. You folks say get a 30 cal to do most calibers under 30 cal except the 22. Would it be wise to go a little bigger to cover say 308, 7mm, 6mm, etc.. or is that over board? When you do have a 30 cal but you want to use it on say a 6.5cm, will the can itself be moved to the other rifle that has the (not sure what its called) adapter on the rifle? Or do you remove it from your rifle (the adapter) to the other rifle? Thanks in advance for answering. Glad the OP brought this up as was thinking about this myself.

I have the 7.62 saker. I have mounts on anything that's threaded and can quickly attach it to my 6.5 Grendel, 300BO and 5.56. You can look saker mount up on Youtube if you want. I think it's called the maad mount.
Ghost

Postby igofast on Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:53 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Just to jump in with a question. Don't own one but did shoot one when Del Tone had there suppressor day. You folks say get a 30 cal to do most calibers under 30 cal except the 22. Would it be wise to go a little bigger to cover say 308, 7mm, 6mm, etc.. or is that over board?

Most 30 cal cans are rated for .300 win mag on down. As long as you don't exceed pressure you should be fine on anything under .30 diameter projectiles. If you want something that is larger than that you generally step up to the next size larger can - which also increases cost.

Bearcatrp wrote:When you do have a 30 cal but you want to use it on say a 6.5cm, will the can itself be moved to the other rifle that has the (not sure what its called) adapter on the rifle? Or do you remove it from your rifle (the adapter) to the other rifle? Thanks in advance for answering. Glad the OP brought this up as was thinking about this myself.

You can get a direct thread can or one that uses a proprietary(by manufacturer) mount(flash hider or muzzle brake). Both have pluses and minuses. Ideally you would get mounts for each rifle instead of moving them around. The direct thread you screw directly on to compatible threads(ie 5/8x24).
igofast

Postby george on Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:25 pm

Depending on the firearm, you also need to watch the minimum barrel length. Mine is rated 300 win mag but not to go under 8" barrel on 300AAC. Go figure,
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:21 pm

Not to exceed pressures? So not able to shoot full loads? So what is the average cost of a suppressor? Also, are you required to engrave anything like the folks with SBR's are required?
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:49 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Not to exceed pressures? So not able to shoot full loads? So what is the average cost of a suppressor? Also, are you required to engrave anything like the folks with SBR's are required?

Be easier if you said what you were mounting it on than try explaining the pressure effects. I'd say you'd spend 600 to 800 or more for a 7.62 sized suppressor plus $200 tax stamp. You only engrave if you build it, same as SBR.
Ghost

Postby igofast on Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:13 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Not to exceed pressures? So not able to shoot full loads? So what is the average cost of a suppressor? Also, are you required to engrave anything like the folks with SBR's are required?

You can shoot full loads up to the rating of the suppressor including barrel length. IE for a SilencerCo Omega the upper limits are:
Code: Select all
CARTRIDGE     MINIMUM BARREL LENGTH
.300 BLK        8”
5.56 NATO       10”
.308 WIN        16”
.300 WM         20”

Prices vary like firearms(like asking what is the average cost of a rifle - depends on what you want to do with it and what features you want), $600 is probably the minimum for a quality bare bones 30 cal can, that doesn't include the $200 tax stamp - shop around, do your research. However, you can't just pay your money and walk out with one today, current BATFE processing times are 5-6 months and expected to increase. To add to the confusion regulations are changing on 7/13/16(research 41F). No engraving required unless you build your own(same as SBR).
igofast

Postby george on Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:35 pm

ATF is saying anything postmarked up to 7/13 will be grandfathered and after 7/13 41F applies.
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Next

Return to Suppressors