Dual purpose suppressor?

Re: Dual purpose suppressor?

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:12 pm

308. Is that chart showing minimum of 16 inch for 308 for just that maker or is it standard across all manufacturers?
Bearcatrp

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:49 pm

Brand and model specific
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Ghost on Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:19 am

Bearcatrp wrote:308. Is that chart showing minimum of 16 inch for 308 for just that maker or is it standard across all manufacturers?

I believe I remember you saying you have a 308 SBR, what's the barrel length of it? Be easier to find a suppressor that works with it.
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:15 am

Ghost wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:308. Is that chart showing minimum of 16 inch for 308 for just that maker or is it standard across all manufacturers?

I believe I remember you saying you have a 308 SBR, what's the barrel length of it? Be easier to find a suppressor that works with it.

12.5 inch barrel. Also have a 24 inch bolt 308 too so would want to swap them if possible. Was hoping that bill to remove suppressors from BATF grip for a tax stamp would have gained steam by now but doesn't look like it. Hate the fact of paying 200 bucks to own a firearm part. Extortion plain and simple.
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:28 am

Bearcatrp wrote:
Ghost wrote:

12.5 inch barrel. Also have a 24 inch bolt 308 too so would want to swap them if possible. Was hoping that bill to remove suppressors from BATF grip for a tax stamp would have gained steam by now but doesn't look like it. Hate the fact of paying 200 bucks to own a firearm part. Extortion plain and simple.

With a quick look either a Saker 762 or a specwar 762 will work down to a 12" 308.
Ghost

Postby Squib Joe on Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:35 pm

The Yankee Hill Machine 3300 series will handle .308 down to 10.5" barrels ... and the price isn't bad at under 700 bucks
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby JJ on Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:36 pm

Squib Joe wrote:The Yankee Hill Machine 3300 series will handle .308 down to 10.5" barrels ... and the price isn't bad at under 700 bucks

Fairly certain Bills had one of these in stock when i swung in there yesterday afternoon...
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:24 pm

JJ wrote:
Squib Joe wrote:The Yankee Hill Machine 3300 series will handle .308 down to 10.5" barrels ... and the price isn't bad at under 700 bucks

Fairly certain Bills had one of these in stock when i swung in there yesterday afternoon...

Be nice to just go in, file out the back ground check like for a AR, heck pay the extortion fee, walk out with it. 700 is still a chuck of change. Do these need to be tuned like a brake?
Bearcatrp

Dual purpose suppressor?

Postby ZardozCZ on Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:01 pm

Really great info from all. My .22 has a red dot on it so sight picture will be fine, and likely only shoot it with the can in a SHTF situation to put meat on the table, but I'm an old Boy Scout, be prepared. Lots to think about but great info to focus the research. That video was impressive, as I have an Adams Arms AA15.

Thanks All!
ZardozCZ

Postby igofast on Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:38 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:
JJ wrote:

Be nice to just go in, file out the back ground check like for a AR, heck pay the extortion fee, walk out with it. 700 is still a chuck of change. Do these need to be tuned like a brake?

You would think a 4473 would be enough, I'm curious as to what additional background checks(if any) are performed.

Depending on manufacturer and attachment method you may have/want to. All cans will give you a point of impact shift to some extent(you are after all hanging something off the end of the barrel). In the example of the YHM 3300 mentioned above, according to the website it either comes with a flash hider(no timing necessary) or a muzzle brake(time like a normal brake). The difference is instead of using a crush washer that may not crush uniformly, you'll use shims for timing. Hypothetically you could tune a flash hider or direct thread so that your shift is straight up(or down) - but the most accepted method seems to document the shift and adjust the sights on a rifle.

On a pistol, you can rotate it around on the booster to line up where you want - which is nice since it's harder to adjust those sights.
igofast

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:40 pm

igofast wrote:You would think a 4473 would be enough, I'm curious as to what additional background checks(if any) are performed.

Was wondering this myself. My guess they are trying to justify there jobs doing it themselves.
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:28 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:
igofast wrote:You would think a 4473 would be enough, I'm curious as to what additional background checks(if any) are performed.

Was wondering this myself. My guess they are trying to justify there jobs doing it themselves.

I don't think they were thinking of this as job justification in 1934 of course that would have been a time where job creation would have been welcomed.

That said it would be nice to see a real movement to remove these from this infringing legislation.
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:18 pm

So when filling out the paperwork, do I need to specify which rifle its going on? My bolt rifle isn't threaded yet but the AR is ready to go. Will not be doing a trust. Stearns county as far as I have heard, is not a problem getting a signature.
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:24 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:So when filling out the paperwork, do I need to specify which rifle its going on? My bolt rifle isn't threaded yet but the AR is ready to go. Will not be doing a trust. Stearns county as far as I have heard, is not a problem getting a signature.

No need to specify a host.
Ghost

Postby 2in2out on Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:31 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:

I don't think they were thinking of this as job justification in 1934 of course that would have been a time where job creation would have been welcomed.

That said it would be nice to see a real movement to remove these from this infringing legislation.

Exactly!

I really believe that suppressor use should be encouraged - it's better for everyone (including non shooters).
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Previous

Return to Suppressors