Tuning a DI modern sporting rifle for a suppressor

Tuning a DI modern sporting rifle for a suppressor

Postby 2in2out on Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:47 pm

Searching the internet for topics related to the use of a suppressor/moderator on a direct-impingment AR-15 or similar rifle, it seems there's no shortage of ingenious solutions. I'm relatively new to this whole black rifle thing, but this is really, REALLY confusing. Why do we need all of this stuff when a simple adjustable gas block will tame the over-gassed gas system? Could it possibly be that simple?

Buffers
Buffer springs
Bolt Carriers
Charging handles

There are probably other parts designed for use with a suppressor, but they all assume the rifle is over-gassed. Correct??? So, if I fix the gas system, doesn't that also negate the need for all this other stuff?

This is what I've done, by the way... left everything alone except for mounting an adjustable gas block, and the rifle seems to function just fine. Am I missing something obvious?
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Re: Tuning a DI modern sporting rifle for a suppressor

Postby igofast on Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:04 pm

As long as the gas block is adjusted properly I think you're covered.

Charging handles - to block or vent excess gas away from your face.
Heavy Springs/Buffers - require more gas to cycle action
adjustable bolt carriers - partially vent gas at carrier as opposed to blocking it at gas port

For your purposes the Springs, Buffers, and Bolt Carriers are all redundant.
igofast

Postby Sigfan220 on Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:15 pm

I wouldn't worry too much unless you are going to shoot a ton, in which case DI isn't the greatest. I have been running cans on a few 223/5.56's and a 300blk upper. I have a variety of Dear Air 300 win mag rated cans but the sandman S and sandman TI are used most often. With a completely stock gun they run pretty good, I have not measured to see if they throw brass any further or not. With the 30 caliber can and 223 I don't get much gas back in my face. With 300blk I notice more gas but still not bad. I recently started using the Gemtec adjustable bolt carrier with a suppressed and un-suppressed setting. This tames things down a bit, I notice a softer recoil impulse and much less gas. I really like it so far but have only ran maybe a few dozen mags or so using the Gemtec bolt carrier.

I always recommend people go with 30 caliber cans for 223. You will only loose a few DB but you can use it on a wide variety of calibers. You could try an adjustable gas block but I would honestly get the Gemtec bolt carrier or just run it stock.

The problem I have with DI is they gum up with carbon so fast. They will run a while but man do they get dirty, like crazy dirty. I should have my first piston gun in soon, it will be interesting to compare the two.
Sigfan220

Postby Ghost on Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:42 pm

I run SLR adjustable gas blocks on all of my AR's. I don't mess with the rest.
Ghost

Return to Suppressors