Ruger Mark III 22/45 Suppressed

Ruger Mark III 22/45 Suppressed

Postby SGW Gunsmith on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:06 am

I picked up my suppressor several years ago down in Chippewa Falls Wisconsin, from Lauer Custom Weaponry. He's the same guy that sells DuraCoat. I was lamenting about how our local sheriff would not sign off on my Form 4, and at that point it was all I needed to get the paperwork going. Steve asked if I was incorporated. No, but my business is an LLC, so what he advised is that the LLC should buy the suppressor and then no fingerprints or mug shot was needed. Five months later:

It's pretty quiet, but I wanted quieter. So, I started messing around shooting the CCI Quiet ammunition, but the bolt was too dang heavy and the "Quiet" ammunition didn't have enough recoil impulse energy to send the bolt backward. Got a lot of "stove-pipes" with that CCI ammunition. I was ordering a bunch of Volquartsen Parts for the Ruger Mark pistols and was talking with Nic at Volquartsen about what I was trying to accomplish. He agreed, the bolt is too durn heavy and the CCI Quiet will not cycle the bolt. He then said I should call him back in a couple of weeks, as he had something in mind. He sure did, he made up a bolt that weighed less than half of what the OEM bolt weighed. CCI Quiet works just fine now, and the chipmunks don't even know that a small piece of "death by lead" is on the way.
SGW Gunsmith

Re: Ruger Mark III 22/45 Suppressed

Postby grimbeaver on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:03 pm

Sweet. How about a side by side pic if the bolts? I've been tempted to pickup one of their lightweight 10/22 bolts.
grimbeaver

Postby Sigfan220 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:54 pm

I have never tried that brand of rimfire can. I have Dead Air, Liberty, two different Tactical Solutions, two different Silencerco, and two of the same Spikes(just in never shot). All of the ones I have ran on my threaded MIII's are absolutely stupid quiet with regular subsonic ammo. I think the ammo you are referring to is something closer to 700fps vs around 1000fps. I don't know anything about that brand of suppressor but suppressor quality and design vary considerably between brands. Rimfire cans I think are especially important to get a good one, more due to cleaning than sound. My favorite cans are the dead air and the Tactical Solutions. I am not a fan of monolithic cores for rimfire, too hard to take apart and clean. The Dead Air is an amazing rimfire can. I would not hesitate to buy another Dead Air or Tactical Solutions. That sucks you are not happy with it. I would also go with stainless construction for ease of cleaning. All of the aluminum cans I have basically feel the same once they are threaded on a gun. You may feel a slight difference but not enough to justify going from SST to aluminum. SST you can ultrasonic clean and not worry about damaging the parts. Cans are still pretty expensive, I would spend a bit more and get a good one vs trying to save a few bucks and end up disappointed.
Sigfan220

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:39 pm

Really like my Silencerco Sparrow on my CZ Kadet. Bunny farts and have yet to find any subsonic/quietammo that won't cycle it including the CCI. Also very easy breakdown and cleaning.

most std ammo is subsonic when fired in a pistol so I typically save sub ammo for my rifles. Just slightly louder bunny fart in the CZ.
Last edited by LarryFlew on Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby 2in2out on Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:02 pm

Nice pistol. Love my 22/45.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:37 pm

I looked up that can. It looks like you have to run it wet to get good numbers. Get some wire pulling gel and give it a shot. Or just use water. The wet numbers are around what others are dry but it is half the cost of other cans. I'd try it wet and see how it sounds. It's just a pain keeping a can wet, I just run all mine dry now. It flashes off so fast.
Sigfan220

Postby SGW Gunsmith on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:36 pm

The guy that made this suppressor at Lauer suggested I use "white lithium" grease. It does smoke a little at first when shooting through it, but it's much easier to clean.

Here's the above bolt out of the receiver:[URL=http://s915.photobucket.com/user/SGWGunsmith/media/Extractors/BOLTS/VQ%20amp%20Altered%20bolt.jpg.html]

Image[/URL] picture.

The bottom picture is a bolt that I butchered the snot out of trying to get it light enough to cycle CCI Quiets. Just couldn't get there without thinking the bolt would get bent during the cycling process. The top bolt weighs less than ½ of the normal Ruger Mark III steel bolt.

I do have a Volquartsen "Firefly" bolt on the way for the 10/22. This bolt is also supposed to allow cycling of the CCI Quiet rounds in that rifle. The barrel is threaded, so it should be interesting to see exactly how quiet these rounds will be from an 18 ½ inch long, suppressed barrel.
SGW Gunsmith

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:56 am

I would buy a new can. Spend some money and get a good one though. You are going through a lot of trouble to run ammo that is impossible to find. Get a good rimfire can that will run quiet with any subsonic ammo. It seems lame you have to run ammo that was designed to be hearing safe without a suppressor to make your suppressed gun sound good. You have a business anyway so you want potential customers to see your product being used with the latest gear. It would be like a tire company using a Kia or other cheap car brand. They put the tires on a Corvette, viper or a bad ass import. I would look at it that way. It should be a business expense anyway
Sigfan220

Postby SGW Gunsmith on Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:30 am

Sigfan220 wrote:I would buy a new can. Spend some money and get a good one though. You are going through a lot of trouble to run ammo that is impossible to find. Get a good rimfire can that will run quiet with any subsonic ammo. It seems lame you have to run ammo that was designed to be hearing safe without a suppressor to make your suppressed gun sound good. You have a business anyway so you want potential customers to see your product being used with the latest gear. It would be like a tire company using a Kia or other cheap car brand. They put the tires on a Corvette, viper or a bad ass import. I would look at it that way. It should be a business expense anyway

Are you writing about CCI Quiet, being impossible to find? I have no problem finding that brand and type and I currently have four bricks of it. At 710 FPS box velocity, out of a 4 ½ Ruger Mark III 22/45 pistol barrel, velocity doesn't come close to that, according to my Oehler 35P chronograph, and there's not enough "recoil impulse energy" generated with the CCI Quiet to blow the standard bolt backward. The bolt I received from Volquartsen does a great job in cycling the CCI Quiet ammunition. I don't give a rip about what sort of tires they put on cars...............I own/drive a pickup truck. :D I also enjoy experimenting with .22 rimfire firearms and ammunition. No trouble at all, this stuff is great fun. Been doing so since 1968.
SGW Gunsmith

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:29 pm

The tires were just an analogy. The point was if you are trying to show off your business it would probably be best to use high quality products to do so. You should not need to use special ammo, run custom bolts and tune a 22LR to get your rimfire can to be quiet. A high quality can out of the box would work just fine. That was my point, also that you own a business and it would be in your best interest to represent the quality of your work by using high quality products. Someone reading this post probably would not be as excited to see you got a cheap can to work as they would to see you have a safe full of good rimfire cans. You are using ammo that was designed to be hearing safe (in a rifle) without the use of a suppressor. Of course it is going to be quiet!!!
Sigfan220

Postby SGW Gunsmith on Mon May 01, 2017 10:30 am

Sigfan220 wrote:The tires were just an analogy. The point was if you are trying to show off your business it would probably be best to use high quality products to do so. You should not need to use special ammo, run custom bolts and tune a 22LR to get your rimfire can to be quiet. A high quality can out of the box would work just fine. That was my point, also that you own a business and it would be in your best interest to represent the quality of your work by using high quality products. Someone reading this post probably would not be as excited to see you got a cheap can to work as they would to see you have a safe full of good rimfire cans. You are using ammo that was designed to be hearing safe (in a rifle) without the use of a suppressor. Of course it is going to be quiet!!!

You don't quite get it. I don't NEED to do any of that stuff you mentioned, I WANT to do the things the way I'm doing 'em, because I can. :D
SGW Gunsmith

Return to Suppressors