Airforce Condor SS legal in MN?

Airforce Condor SS legal in MN?

Postby Uffdaphil on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:44 pm

This .25 caliber pellet gun looks like a tasty unit. Anyone know the state restrictions? Could I have it mailed right to my door?

Be sure to watch the grand finale at the very end of video.
https://www.full30.com/video/14c6066ac1 ... 8263639874
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Re: Airforce Condor SS legal in MN?

Postby LarryP on Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:31 pm

Video said NJ is the only state they can't ship to. A suppressed pellet gun? They're not loud to begin with
LarryP

Postby jdege on Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:41 pm

LarryP wrote:Video said NJ is the only state they can't ship to. A suppressed pellet gun? They're not loud to begin with

At 3000 psi, they're louder than you might think.

IIRC, the video says it is 114 dB unsuppressed, and 85 dB suppressed.
jdege

Postby xd ED on Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:49 pm

Lot of money for a mediocre air rifle, + tank +refills... why not simply invest in a suppressor, or box of 'quiet' rounds for a .22?
Likely can't shoot an air gun anywhere you can't shoot a ,22 rimfire.

The guy in the video impresses me as being a douche bag.
And last time I checked(20+ yrs ago), air gun suppressors were viewed by the atf as NFA items
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby hammAR on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:07 pm

Didn't know that you could suppress a Red Ryder................. ;)
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:49 pm

Ghost

Postby jdege on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:26 pm

xd ED wrote:Lot of money for a mediocre air rifle, + tank +refills... why not simply invest in a suppressor, or box of 'quiet' rounds for a .22?
Likely can't shoot an air gun anywhere you can't shoot a ,22 rimfire.

The guy in the video impresses me as being a douche bag.
And last time I checked(20+ yrs ago), air gun suppressors were viewed by the atf as NFA items

There are external task air rifles that will push a 230 grain .44 caliber bullet to >500 fps.

They're popular in places like South Korea where firearms are extremely restrictive.

http://www.topairgun.com/45-sam-yang-909s-air-rifle
jdege

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:09 pm

All kind of cool toys.
http://www.pyramydair.com
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby 2in2out on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:18 pm

I like the NFA Review guy, but maybe that's because he's a firefighter IRL and I've spent a lot of time with guys just like him. I also like Ted's Holdover - that guy can really shoot.

It's difficult for me - yet tempting - to justify a decent air rifle when a firearm (even rimfire) has more power and is significantly cheaper. On the other hand, the Benjamin Discovery keeps calling my name for general plinking and pest control. TKO Airguns makes a NON-NFA moderator for it that I've heard good things about and can be ordered through the mail.

According to TKO's web site, a customer took some readings to compare their Crosman 2240 without anything and then two competitive moderators:
No moderator: 105.5-108.6 db (at the muzzle)
Wolf: 99.6 db
TKO: 98.3 db

Last summer, I parted ways with a Benjamin Trail NP that was integrally suppressed. You can buy these at Walmart, no tax stamp needed.

Uffdaphil - I'm not aware of any restrictions on air guns, and would expect to just order the Condor through the mail, just like any other air gun. That's how I got my Benjamin Trail (and how I will order the TKO moderator for the Discovery I will eventually buy).
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby FJ540 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:46 pm

There's a 6" long 1.25" diameter single cavity extension pressed on and welded to the end of my spring air .177" Daisy Powerline 1000. No internal baffles at all. Since the velocity has been shown to peak at around 6" of barrel with these guns, I cut the barrel down prior to integrally suppressing it and the new chamber retains the length needed to easily cock the action and load it.

The spring hitting the end of it's travel (which is quite loud), and the impact of the pellet make more noise than the discharge. It wasn't the case prior to the redesign.

I pressed and welded the attachment for obvious reasons. It's welded shut too, so no one can add anything to it or use any parts of it with a firearm - this was done long before the change of law to allow civilian ownership of suppressors in MN.

Another point of note - air rifles under 500fps are legal in Fridley on private property, as long as you're not hunting (same goes with archery equipment).
FJ540

Postby Bitter Bastard on Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:38 pm

xd ED wrote:And last time I checked(20+ yrs ago), air gun suppressors were viewed by the atf as NFA items

In general, airgun silencers are not NFA if they are permanently attached to the airgun barrel, with no easy way to adapt it to firearm use. That's the reason airgun silencers are all integral and not screw-on cans like most real silencers. Obviously lots of nuances behind that thinking, but that's the gist of it.

A friend has one of the silenced pellet rifles you can buy at Fleet Farm or wherever. It's pretty quiet. Fun to shoot a certain distance, then accuracy drops of remarkably fast. I don't remember the exact distances, but at something like 15 yards, it was a 1" gun. At 20 yards, it was a 6" gun. Something like that anyway.

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby Uffdaphil on Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:57 pm

While I still think the Condor is cool, I found a smoking deal on a NIB Scorpion Evo pistol with 8 mags that ate my funds. And I already have a can for that.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby FJ540 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:10 pm

High power air rifles have come a long way, that's for sure.
FJ540

Postby xd ED on Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:41 pm

Bitter Bastard wrote:
xd ED wrote:And last time I checked(20+ yrs ago), air gun suppressors were viewed by the atf as NFA items

In general, airgun silencers are not NFA if they are permanently attached to the airgun barrel, with no easy way to adapt it to firearm use. That's the reason airgun silencers are all integral and not screw-on cans like most real silencers. Obviously lots of nuances behind that thinking, but that's the gist of it.

A friend has one of the silenced pellet rifles you can buy at Fleet Farm or wherever. It's pretty quiet. Fun to shoot a certain distance, then accuracy drops of remarkably fast. I don't remember the exact distances, but at something like 15 yards, it was a 1" gun. At 20 yards, it was a 6" gun. Something like that anyway.

Bitter Bastard

Yep.
I read up on the topic. I don't know if/ when the law changed, but I recall when I was far more into are rifles..late 80s- 90s,,, that airgun suppressors were the same as firearm suppressors in the eyes of the ATF. Now maybe I had that wrong, or the interpretation changed.

Used to have a lot of fun with air rifles.. picking off starlings and squirrels that were hectoring my nesting wood ducks.
My Weihrauch HW77 with the right pellets could drill a starlings head poking out of the nest box at 40-50 yards. 25-30 yrds for tree rats.
Back then I was comfortable shooting in my St Paul back yard without the SWAT team showing up... now, not so much.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby FJ540 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:17 pm

xd ED wrote:Back then I was comfortable shooting in my St Paul back yard without the SWAT team showing up... now, not so much.

After modifying my air rifle, I stopped using it as much here in the metro because all it would take is the wrong neighbor seeing it and holy hell would break loose. Now that cans are legal, it's probably less of an issue (no worries of ATF showing up), but I still don't make a habit of shooting it here.

My pellet trap was a piece of scrap 3/4" marine plywood with a box built behind it. Made a heck of a thwap! when the pellet hit. Been meaning to build a .22lr trap out of some thinner AR 500 Evan gave me, but just haven't made that happen yet.
FJ540

Next

Return to Suppressors