Places to try out Suppressors?

Postby halvey on Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:50 am

Is there a place or event to try the different suppressors? I have one, but am looking to get another or two. I know Ahlmans had a few dealers last August, but I don't want to wait until then.
halvey

Re: Places to try out Suppressors?

Postby striped1 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:36 am

Reeds annual event at Rice Creek. Huge amount of vendors there will be a number that have suppressors to try.
striped1

Postby Sigfan220 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:54 am

These large events are hard to get a good feel for a suppressor. You usually have a lot of shooting going on and have to wear ear pro anyway. I would buy a high quality suppressor and look at reviews online. Things I have learned: rimfire cans must me SST or TI for was of cleaning, you won't feel the extra weight. I also am not a fan of monolithic cores for rimfire. Again for ease of cleaning. Dead air is great for rimfire and center fire rifles under 300 win mag, qd is over rated because once you have a can you aren't going to want to shoot it unsupprrssed. Pistol cans are lame. Shotgun cans are over rated, mostly too heavy to be practical for anything other than door breaching on a sbs.

There are a few real big and smaller companies that turn out done pretty bad products. Like self destruct kind of bad. Look on forums to see which brands are good and bad. At a demo event all the cans will likely work.
Sigfan220

Postby halvey on Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:39 pm

Thanks for the info on Rice Creek. I may have to check it out. Would you happen to know if there were any dealers with integral guns? Those look interesting.

I agree about trying these out at shooting shows though. I was hard to get a feel for them when I was at Ahlmans. And with the limiters on cell phone video and the compression on You tube, very different sound.

Ah, maybe a get together is in order? :D
halvey

Postby LumberZach on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:07 pm

Stock and barrel rents suppressor's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:02 am

halvey wrote:Thanks for the info on Rice Creek. I may have to check it out. Would you happen to know if there were any dealers with integral guns? Those look interesting.

I agree about trying these out at shooting shows though. I was hard to get a feel for them when I was at Ahlmans. And with the limiters on cell phone video and the compression on You tube, very different sound.

Ah, maybe a get together is in order? :D

One thing to consider with integral: You are paying $200 for a suppressor you can only use in that one configuration. If you get a standard suppressor it may be used on a variety of guns and calibers. Everyone talks about a one stamp upper but is it really better? I personally would rather have a two stamp and have the flexibility of moving the suppressor from gun to gun. That's my $0.02 on the subject. Note: I have shot a few integrals but go not own any.

A prime example is my Dead Air Sandman Ti. My favorite upper to run it on is a 8" AR15 with a Midwest industries suppressor handgaurd. It looks bad ass and is fun to shoot. I can however take the can off and shoot it on any of my other 300BLK rifles or 308. I also use it in the summer on a 223 for prairie dog. I love the flexibility. I love the whole sandman line but use the direct thread Ti the most.
Sigfan220

Postby Squib Joe on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:30 am

I'd only go with an integral in a 22LR rimfire rifle. There is a big difference in a full baffled barrel and a screw on rimfire can
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:33 pm

Squib Joe wrote:I'd only go with an integral in a 22LR rimfire rifle. There is a big difference in a full baffled barrel and a screw on rimfire can

Even when comparing similar barrel lengths? The advantage of the integrals is the typically run super short barrels and very long baffle stacks. I could see them being quieter than a 16" barreled gun but not verses say a 6" SBR. Rimfire cans with subsonic ammo are so ridiculously quiet I honestly can see the need for any more sound suppression. Especially when you take into account ease of cleaning.
Sigfan220

Postby Squib Joe on Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:21 pm

Sigfan220 wrote:
Squib Joe wrote:I'd only go with an integral in a 22LR rimfire rifle. There is a big difference in a full baffled barrel and a screw on rimfire can

Even when comparing similar barrel lengths? The advantage of the integrals is the typically run super short barrels and very long baffle stacks. I could see them being quieter than a 16" barreled gun but not verses say a 6" SBR. Rimfire cans with subsonic ammo are so ridiculously quiet I honestly can see the need for any more sound suppression. Especially when you take into account ease of cleaning.

I don't hear much of a difference in a say a integrated 5.56 upper and regular upper with muzzle mounted can. If you are looking to keep overall length short you could also go with an over-the-barrel model like an Amtac or OSS.

Most rimfire muzzle mounted cans sound like a "cough". Integral rimfire barrels, in a bolt gun especially with subsonic ammo sound like a "click".

Some of them, like the Gemtech Mist, are just as easy to clean if not easier. They also slow down some brands of standard velocity 22 ammo down to subsonic speeds which is a huge advantage.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby silvor on Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:08 pm

Have you guys tried out an integral .22? I hear that they are quieter, but then I hear when it's apples to apples, maybe only a dB or two. From what I am told, the porting will bring the bullet subsonic so there's no crack. So when comparing to subsonic ammo in a good screw on can, it's closer than you think.

I have tried out my Spectre II on a few different hosts, with different barrel lengths. What I have found is with subsonic ammo (and HV ammo out of a short barrel) there is no sonic crack. BUT, the shorter barrels still have the extra gas to suppress over say a 16" barrel.

I have a long barrel 10/22, short barrel Charger, Buckmark, M&P AR15-22 and a 16" bolt gun. The bolt gun is quieter by a lot. Even when I use CCI Standard in the short barrels, it is still quieter. I mean, that has to be going what, 900 fps tops out of the Buckmark.

There are videos on YouTube of suppressed 4" barrel Thompson contenders, and they still seem loud enough. Definitely not click quiet.

I am going to try out a long barrel bolt .22 and see what that does.
Last edited by silvor on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
silvor

Postby Ghost on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:44 am

This thread has reminded me that I'm still waiting on a rimfire can I bought last July. :(
Ghost

Postby Sigfan220 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:44 am

silvor wrote:Have you guys tried out an integral .22? I hear that they are quieter, but then I hear when it's apples to apples, maybe only a dB or two. From what I am told, the porting will bring the bullet subsonic so there's no crack. So when comparing to subsonic ammo in a good screw on can, it's closer than you think.

I have tried out my Spectre II on a few different hosts, with different barrel lengths. What I have found is with subsonic ammo (and HV ammo out of a short barrel) there is no sonic crack. BUT, the shorter barrels still have the extra gas to suppress over say a 16" barrel.

I have a long barrel 10/22, short barrel Charger, Buckmark, M&P AR15-22 and a 16" bolt gun. The bolt gun is quieter by a lot. Even when I use CCI Standard in the short barrels, it is still quieter. I mean, that has to be going what, 900 fps tops out of the Buckmark.

There are videos on YouTube of suppressed 4" barrel Thompson contenders, and they still seem loud enough. Definitely not click quiet.

I am going to try out a long barrel bolt .22 and see what that does.

I have tried an integral 22lr on a bolt gun. I wouldn't say there is a big difference. Certainly not worth tying up a stamp for just one gun. I would much rather have one can that can be used on a variety of guns than just one barrel/suppressor combo. I'm not saying the integral isn't quieter, I'm sure they are with 10" of so of baffles. I am just saying they are not worth it in my opinion. Currently the Dead Air Mask and TacticalSol Axiom are my favs. More due to ease of cleaning but both are good cans.
Sigfan220

Return to Suppressors