OK, time to get one

OK, time to get one

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:05 am

OK, doesn't look like the bill to remove suppressors from NFA grip. Do I have to order it first and the vendor holds onto it until I prove to them I have the tax stamp? Not going trust route. Get sheriff signature and finger print card done first before ordering? Appreciate any help on this. Thanks
Bearcatrp

OK, time to get one

Postby acs75 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:31 am

Last edited by acs75 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
acs75

Re: OK, time to get one

Postby Ghost on Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:47 pm

http://americansuppressorassociation.com/hearing-protection-act-language-incorporated-into-comprehensive-sportsmens-package/

CLICK HERE TO RECEIVE EMAIL UPDATES
HEARING PROTECTION ACT LANGUAGE INCORPORATED INTO COMPREHENSIVE SPORTSMENS PACKAGE
Written by ASA on June 12, 2017 - Comments
asa-header-logo
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The House Committee on Natural Resources has scheduled a hearing for the morning of June 14, in which the Federal Lands Subcommittee will hear a discussion draft of the Sportsmen’s Heritage and Recreational Enhancement (SHARE) Act. The SHARE Act, which is being championed in a bipartisan manner by Congressional Sportsmen’s Caucus (CSC) Co-Chairs Representative Jeff Duncan (R-SC), and Representative Gene Green (D-TX), is a comprehensive package that covers a wide range of hunting, fishing, and outdoor related issues. Included in the legislation is Title XVII, a strengthened version of the Hearing Protection Act. Since the re-introduction of the Hearing Protection Act by Rep. Duncan and Senator Mike Crapo (R-ID) in January (H.R. 367, S. 59) the American Suppressor Association (ASA) has met with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) on multiple occasions to discuss technical amendments to the language. As a result, we were able to create several technical amendments that were incorporated into the current draft of the SHARE Act. These include:

Sec. 1702: Removing suppressors from the National Firearms Act, subjecting them to the same instant NICS background check as long guns, and issuing a refundable tax credit to anyone who has purchased a suppressor since the HPA’s original date of introduction
Sec. 1703: Ensuring that suppressors will remain legal in all 42 states where they are currently legal, after suppressors are removed from the National Firearms Act
Sec. 1704: Preempting states from levying taxes or registration requirements on suppressors. However, this will not make suppressors legal in any state where state law currently prohibits them.
Sec. 1705: Granting the ATF 365 days to destroy all suppressor related records from the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR)
Sec. 1706: Developing a “keystone part” definition, and requiring that such keystone part is serialized on every suppressor. This will ensure that individual suppressor parts, like pistons and endcaps, will not require serialization.
Sec. 1707: Imposing a 10% Pittman-Robertson excise tax on the manufacture of each new suppressor, a tax that is currently imposed on all Title I firearms
“The inclusion of the Hearing Protection Act in the sportsmen’s package highlights the commitment of the Sportsmen’s Caucus to make the hunting and recreational shooting experiences safer and more enjoyable for all,” said Knox Williams, President and Executive Director of the American Suppressor Association. “We know for a fact that exposure to noise from recreational firearms is one of the leading causes of hearing loss, which is why the CDC, NIOSH, and the National Hearing Conservation Association (NHCA) have all recommended using suppressors as a tool to mitigate the danger. We look forward to working with the Sportsmen’s Caucus to make this legislation a reality.” Suppressors have been federally regulated since the passage of the National Firearms Act of 1934. Currently, prospective buyers must live in one of the 42 states where they are legal, must send in an application including fingerprints and passport photos to the ATF, pay a $200 transfer tax, and wait for an indeterminate amount of time for the ATF to process the application. As of June, 2017, wait times are in excess of 10 months. In stark contrast, many countries in Europe place no regulations on their purchase, possession, or use. This legislation will remove suppressors from the onerous requirements of the NFA, and instead require purchasers to pass an instant NICS check, the same background check that is used during the sale of long guns. In doing so, law-abiding citizens will remain free to purchase suppressors, while prohibited persons will continue to be barred from purchasing or possessing these accessories. To voice your support for the Hearing Protection Act, visit http://www.HearingProtectionAct.com. ABOUT THE AMERICAN SUPPRESSOR ASSOCIATION The American Suppressor Association (ASA) is the unified voice of the suppressor industry. Our mission is to unite and advocate for the common interests of the suppressor community. To accomplish our mission, our principal initiatives focus on state lobbying, federal lobbying, public education, and industry outreach. For more information on how you can join the ASA, and help protect and expand your right to own and use suppressors, please visit http://www.AmericanSuppressorAssociation.com.
Ghost

OK, time to get one

Postby acs75 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:28 pm

Last edited by acs75 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
acs75

Postby FJ540 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:05 pm

They're getting 10% and bumping production through the roof! NFA tax collected will look like chump change in the first year of the excise tax generated. It also eliminates the expenditures that burn up all that revenue. The ATF has held the position that they lose money on every tax stamp issued due to the work required to issue it.

This is a good bill as long as there's no back-door crap making home-brew illegal (current homemade guns aren't subject to SN's or tax).
FJ540

Postby Bitter Bastard on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:38 pm

The process to buy a silencer is typically go to a dealer and buy one. You'll be purchasing your actual silencer down to the serial number and they then hold it until the ATF paperwork clears. If your dealer is not a stocking dealer, or doesn't have the one you want in stock, they can order it. You'd still usually pay the dealer full price right then. Once the dealer gets it in stock, you start the paperwork. The Form 4 to transfer to you isn't a huge complex form, the questions are similar to a 4473 when you buy a gun. The dealer will or should fill out the sections with the make and model, the serial number, etc. Some dealers can do fingerprints and photographs, others will have you do that part on your own. Then you or the dealer will send in two copies to the ATF along with $200 tax and another copy to your local law enforcement for notification only, no signature required any more. Then you just wait. When your approved Form 4 comes back, your dealer will call you and you go to pick up your can.

Your dealer can answer any questions you have about the process and walk you through it but it really isn't as complicated as it might sound, or some people make it out to be.

Arnzen Arms does their own fingerprinting but sends you to a Walgreens that is like 2 minutes away for the pictures. Super easy process and nice people to work with.

I bought another silencer a couple months back. I figure either the HPA passes and I'll get my $200 back, or at least I've started the process and if HPA doesn't pass, no sense waiting. Someone also noted that when the HPA passes, there is a good chance all name brand suppressors will be as scarce as .22LR was a couple years back. Most makers are fairly small shops and may have a hard time keeping up with demand.

Good luck!

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby Ghost on Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:30 am

FJ540 wrote:They're getting 10% and bumping production through the roof! NFA tax collected will look like chump change in the first year of the excise tax generated. It also eliminates the expenditures that burn up all that revenue. The ATF has held the position that they lose money on every tax stamp issued due to the work required to issue it.

This is a good bill as long as there's no back-door crap making home-brew illegal (current homemade guns aren't subject to SN's or tax).

Just need to get it to Trump
Ghost

Postby grimbeaver on Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:49 am

acs75 wrote:As much as I don't like the $200. I wouldn't mind as much if it didn't take a Year to receive it.
If you think we are going to go from $200 to 0. You have another thing coming. The government Always gets their money!

I agree. I am not a fan of buying something and then being forced to have someone else hold my property for a year. Just not a fan of the risk of what might happen to it while I wait.
grimbeaver

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:08 am

My suggestion IF it doesn't get removed from NFA is drop the tax stamp price to $100 and just fill out the form like you do when buying a rifle.

BB, my local sheriff doesn't need his signature? Am not going to do a trust.
Bearcatrp

Postby Bitter Bastard on Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:47 am

Bearcatrp wrote:My suggestion IF it doesn't get removed from NFA is drop the tax stamp price to $100 and just fill out the form like you do when buying a rifle.

BB, my local sheriff doesn't need his signature? Am not going to do a trust.

The sheriff or chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) signature requirement went away last July when they changed the regulations around registering NFA with a trust. Trusts essentially got harder, individual ownership got a bit easier. Those changes are what prompted a glut of trust transfers last June/early July. That backlog is just now getting cleared up and I'd expect the wait to start dropping back down to the 3-4 month 'normal' processing time. When I got my other silencer when the MN law was passed a couple years ago, it only took I think 10 weeks. Really, though, I try to not think about the wait and just go about my life and not worry about it, since there really isn't any way to change it.

Go talk to a stocking dealer - Arnzen Arms, Bill's, whoever, and they can give you a a walk through of the process. It really isn't the huge hassle and paperwork mess a lot of people make it out to be.

Good luck!

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

OK, time to get one

Postby acs75 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:13 am

Last edited by acs75 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
acs75

Postby Sigfan220 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:33 am

Lots of good advise above.

I would also add. Do a lot of research before you buy. A lot of the big name companies turn out some pretty lame suppressors. If you are spending the money get one you will enjoy.
Sigfan220

Postby Bitter Bastard on Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:44 am

acs75 wrote:
That backlog is just now getting cleared up and I'd expect the wait to start dropping back down to the 3-4 month 'normal' processing time. When I got my other silencer when the MN law was passed a couple years ago, it only took I think 10 weeks. Really, though, I try to not think about the wait and just go about my life and not worry about it, since there really isn't any way to change it.

Bitter Bastard

10 weeks! Even 3-4 months isn't bad.
So if I ordered mine in November will I see it soon? Or still the average 10 months?

Also if I order another one n pay the $200 will there be a refund if law changes?

I was really impressed with how fast the process at dealer in my case Accutac Arms was. I thought there would be a lot of running around getting everything done. Not sure how that doesn't translate to faster turn of approval.

Sorry for jacking your thread Bearcatrp.

I wouldn't even try to guess at $200 tax refunds IF a law passes because until it passes, the proposed law can and probably will be changed. As the law is proposed today, though, yes, my understanding is you would get your $200 back.

Your running around, or lack of it, really has no bearing on how fast the ATF processes the paperwork. You not having to run around a bunch may have saved you some time in submitting the forms but once in the mail, it just goes to the bottom of the pile.

My info is just from watching a lot of gun boards and reading a ton of sites, so that disclaimer aside, I would bet if you submitted in Nov 2016, you won't see an approval before Oct 2017. I'm hearing ATF is just now getting to post-rule changes submissions, basically mid to late July 2016. My big hope is that with all the submissions in June/July, the amount of transfers dropped dramatically for a few months after that and the backlog will go quicker than normal. But I really don't know, and don't even know if submissions DID drop after the rule changes or not. Sigh. I probably won't see my April suppressor until Christmas at the earliest.

Good luck!

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Great I don't have to have the sheriff sign off. 1 less thing to do. Looking at a Surefire SOCOM mini 7.62 since I have the war comp on my AR308. A bit spendy but hear surefire suppressors are some of the best. If you know of a better deal, am all ears though. Was recommended to go to Accutac arms so will probably go there.
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:38 pm

For reference, I purchased a suppressor early July last year. I was granted permission to pick it up last month. I imagine the times will be shorter now.
Ghost

Next

Return to Suppressors