Grey area - components

Grey area - components

Postby FJ540 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:59 pm

So if you can put a suppressor on a muzzle loader or air rifle and not have a NFA weapon, how can you have suppressor components prior to final assembly and not be in violation?

Seems dumb to need a 02 SOT to construct unregulated devices.
FJ540

Re: Grey area - components

Postby unfitmother on Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:46 pm

FJ540 wrote:... how can you have suppressor components prior to final assembly and not be in violation?

Have a good lawyer on retainer? :didntdoit:
Semper Gumby
unfitmother

Postby Ghost on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:16 pm

If these guys know what they are talking about then there can’t be a way to attach it to a firearm.

http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/can-you-legally-build-a-silencer-for-your-air-rifle/
Ghost

Postby xd ED on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:35 pm

FJ540 wrote:So if you can put a suppressor on a muzzle loader or air rifle and not have a NFA weapon, how can you have suppressor components prior to final assembly and not be in violation?

Seems dumb to need a 02 SOT to construct unregulated devices.

I'm no expert (but that's never stopped anyone on the interlinks :hide: ) but as I understand it regarding air rifles, an 'unregulated'/ non NFA suppressor is only legit if it's integrated into the barrel.
But as always, remember what you paid for this...
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby FJ540 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:46 pm

When making K-baffles, before attaching them to anything, they're a regulated component. Maybe that part of MN law was changed and it wasn't part of the federal law? I vividly recall not being allowed to be in possession of any suppressor components as they were all considered restricted.

The only way around this would be to make a mono-core and have it attached to the barrel (welded or silver soldered) prior to enclosing it. But even Sig got shut down with their intention to sell mono-cores as "giant brakes" and then serialize the tube.
FJ540

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:17 pm

I heard that if you purchase an oil filter at Napa they have you for constructive intent.
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:44 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:I heard that if you purchase an oil filter at Napa they have you for constructive intent.

Just make sure you have 6 qts of oil for each 'filter' (wink,wink/ nudge nudge), and you'll be OK. A friend of mine said his brother knows a guy who got this from somebody important.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:40 am

xd ED wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:I heard that if you purchase an oil filter at Napa they have you for constructive intent.

Just make sure you have 6 qts of oil for each 'filter' (wink,wink/ nudge nudge), and you'll be OK. A friend of mine said his brother knows a guy who got this from somebody important.

My brother's sister's 2nd cousin, on my father's sides best friends, high school principal's, college professor's niece, would dispute this.
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:12 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
xd ED wrote:

My brother's sister's 2nd cousin, on my father's sides best friends, high school principal's, college professor's niece, would dispute this.

Wel, they DO sound pretty smart.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Return to Suppressors