Appleseed for beginners.............

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Appleseed for beginners.............

Postby DeanC on Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:15 pm

farmerj wrote:Get a range book . You will want to work on recording all shots that you make. It will be to your benefit as the training progresses.

A decent spotting scope is invaluable. Kowa seems to be the standard.

No need for these. You are walking up to your targets and scoring them so often neither is necessary. You can make notes on your targets if you feel the need.

farmerj wrote:Sight black. It will help you see the sights and targets that much better. Carbide works MUCH better than the spray can stuff.

Not a bad idea.

farmerj wrote:Extra magazines. You will also want to find a single shot magazine if you can.

Shooting mat. I have a couple of old surplus parachute weapons cases. They roll up nice, have a nice heavy duck canvas and 1/2" felt inner-liner. Got em for $10 off Cheaper than dirt, but I can't find them there anymore.

Yup

farmerj wrote:Read up on Natural Point of aim.

Not a bad idea. This will be taught at the event too.

farmerj wrote:Chances are if they are having you shoot at 25M, you will use the ALT-C target.

The targets I posted above are exactly what they will use for the qualification shoots.

farmerj wrote:Learn how to use a military rifle sling...It's not just for carrying that iron around with. Get a cotton or leather sling. Forget that nylon. They slip.

Yup

farmerj wrote:A shooting mitt for your non-firing hand. It will be used to protect your hand in the sling. Even an old leather glove with the fingers cut off is better than nothing.

I didn't see anyone using these. Maybe Hammar will need one with those tender, soft mitts of his.

farmerj wrote:Chamber Block or Flag. Everyone on the line will thank you for this one.

They will provide these
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby DeanC on Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:18 pm

hammAR wrote:however, one must go from standing to prone on the third set, so how many shots (2?) standing before transitioning to prone.....

On stages 2 and 3 you start standing and load your magazine into the gun. At the "fire" command, you drop to seated or prone and commence firing.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby hammAR on Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:19 pm

DeanC wrote:
farmerj wrote:A shooting mitt for your non-firing hand. It will be used to protect your hand in the sling. Even an old leather glove with the fingers cut off is better than nothing.

I didn't see anyone using these. Maybe Hammar will need one with those tender, soft mitts of his.

yep, and I was thinking of my self inflating camping mattress for a shooting mat too..............

and farmerj, every rifle I own has a log book...... :cheers:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby farmerj on Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:22 pm

hammAR wrote:
DeanC wrote:

yep, and I was thinking of my self inflating camping mattress for a shooting mat too..............

and farmerj, every rifle I own has a log book...... :cheers:

sleeping matts don't work the best. Too slippery for when you get into position. Nylon and synthetic material suck for this. Cottons and felt material are much better. Rubber elbow and knee pads with spray glue are ultimate.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby hammAR on Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:25 pm

....but it will work nice for my afternoon nap....... :rotf:
hammAR

Postby farmerj on Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:29 pm

hammAR wrote:....but it will work nice for my afternoon nap....... :rotf:

Don't forget the boonie cap then too to cover the neck and eyes.....Don't want that pesky sun to get in your eyes ya know
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby DeanC on Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:30 pm

You can use some old carpet or an old sleeping bag if you have to. Avoid plastic tarps.

A baseball hat and shooting glasses are also real good to have because your fellow shooters will be raining brass on you.

Your favorite earmuffs might be too big for you to get a proper cheek weld on your rifle and they can get sweaty over a whole day.
DeanC

Postby farmerj on Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:35 pm

DeanC wrote:A baseball hat and shooting glasses are also real good to have because your fellow shooters will be raining brass on you.

I have found amber glasses work best for range time shooting. Just gives a sharper image for me. To each their own. Get some nice wrap-a-round glasses.

I have my rifles set up that they will eject all the brass within arms reach to my right and front. Nicer for my neighbors, and nicer to police up the brass.

My M14 and M1 would launch that stuff over 20 feet when I first got them.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby bullets on Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:42 pm

hammAR wrote:Understanding that the Mn version is just 25m, what would be the best rifle?

An older 10/22 or a Marlin 795
quote]

o 5 magazines for your rifle
[/quote]

So it sounds like because of the magazine change portion of the drill, tube fed .22s like the Marlin Model 60 cannot be used. Another excuse to buy the 10/22 I have been looking at.

Will the factory 10 rounds magazines be good enough or should I buy & bring some of those aftermarket 25 rounders instead???
bullets

Postby TC95GT on Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:54 pm

A staple gun with staples is nice to have. You can borrow someone's if you don't have one.
Shooting jacket is not required. I never used one and most people don't have one. Quite honestly in the summer months I would have died with one on.
Practice getting into prone and sitting positions. I was pretty sore after my first one even with the practice.
I use a shooting mat from Midway. It rolls up nice and does the job. Certainly not top of the line but adequate and inexpensive. $24.99
Shooting Mat
A basic tool kit and cleaning kit might come in handy. I had a bore snake with me just in case.
I put these swivels and studs on my Ruger to fit the USGI sling and they work great.
Swivels
Studs
Sight adjustment tools if you need them for your rifle.
Something to cover your rifle in case of rain or windy conditions.
I had my rifle zeroed using the 25M before the shoot. Sounds basic but many people don't.

I have some targets that simulate the AQT targets at 10 feet. I set them up in the basement for practice and dry fire when I get bored or the weather is bad. If anybody wants them shoot me a PM with your email and I will send them to you. I don't know how to post a .pdf file here.
"It is not enough to just obey Big Brother, you must love him, too." 1984 by George Orwell
TC95GT

Postby sochr000 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:58 pm

When I went I brought:
Stapler (really useful)
sharpie markers, black for sights, and other colors to mark any stray rounds that get close to other targets.
folding chair
bug spray/ sun screen
hearing protection/eye protection
snacks, beef jerky is great
sleeping pad
Water bottle

I was using my Marlin 7000 with a scope, they suggest open sights, but wont turn you away if all you have is a scope. Although you might end up with the same crazy guy next to you that I had next to me... Muttering all day to himself about my scope, my stapler, and anything else he could use as an excuse for not doing well.
I didn't use a log book, instead I used my sharpie markers to number each round on the targets, to see if I was improving or not.
Most important thing for an Appleseed is being willing to do what they say, a few of the instructors at the one I went to in Elk River looked like they were 14, but they've got a fair bit of knowledge, and you never know, you might have been doing it all wrong for many, many years.

If I've forgotten anything, I'll add it later, but just bring stuff to be comfortable
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
God (From Futurama)

"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."
--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

Postby Q_Continuum on Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:57 pm

Planning on finishing my AR by year's end - goal after that is to either get a drop-in conversion to .22LR, or get a 10/22, or both...then I'll be ready. (Have an old bolt-action mag-fed Marlin 25N with 2 7-round magazines, nothing else right now for rifles)
Q_Continuum

Postby hammAR on Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:07 pm

How do they feel about P2C carrying while in class or on the range?
hammAR

Postby TC95GT on Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:14 pm

hammAR wrote:How do they feel about P2C carrying while in class or on the range?

No one at the one's I attended were against P2C they just ask that you don't while on the line.
"It is not enough to just obey Big Brother, you must love him, too." 1984 by George Orwell
TC95GT

Postby White Horseradish on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:24 pm

TC95GT wrote:No one at the one's I attended were against P2C they just ask that you don't while on the line.
Why? And how do you swing the logistics of that - not carry at all, or disarm somewhere? Sounds goofy.
"I have come to kick a** and chew bubblegum." <racks shotgun> "And I'm all out of bubblegum."

--John Nada, "They Live"
White Horseradish

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns