AR-15 Build - What a huge world!

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: AR-15 Build - What a huge world!

Postby Rem700 on Mon May 17, 2010 9:57 pm

Happy medium
I am contemplateing a RRA heavy weight barrel Chrome Molly 1-9 or the heavy weight SS 1-8 in a 20" barrel and haveing it chopped to 18"
Chopped to 18" eliminates the threading, Is longer then 16" but shorter then 20", Heavier then a CAR but lighter then a bull.
Little more MV then a 16" but less then 20", I think the 20" barrels get a little muzzle heavy and unwieldly.
I just need to decide Chrome 1-9 or SS 1-8, I have been happy with 55gr bullets so think I might go 1-9 if I was thinking shooting longer ranges I might consider the 1-8 and heavier bullets.
This is one of the reasons I have been turned toward the AR one can mix and match to what you think you want and if not unbolt and try something else.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby FJ540 on Mon May 17, 2010 10:11 pm

^ that's the problem with the ar platform too...

I built my m4gery for a specific purpose (and cause I wanted one), and now 5 months later I'm looking at machining my own lower and building up a hbar 24" long range poodle shooter, and that's not even the 6.8 spc gun I want to build as well. :lol: So there's at least one more lower and two more uppers, but if I'm making one lower I might as well make two of them since all the setup work is the same.
FJ540

Postby Rem700 on Mon May 17, 2010 10:21 pm

FJ540 wrote:^ that's the problem with the ar platform too...

I built my m4gery for a specific purpose (and cause I wanted one), and now 5 months later I'm looking at machining my own lower and building up a hbar 24" long range poodle shooter, and that's not even the 6.8 spc gun I want to build as well. :lol: So there's at least one more lower and two more uppers, but if I'm making one lower I might as well make two of them since all the setup work is the same.

How does that work unless you already a manufacturer ?
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

Rem700

Postby FJ540 on Mon May 17, 2010 10:31 pm

You can make as many guns for yourself as you want, just as long as the intent at creation is not for selling them.

A few machinists I know have done multiple runs of lowers just so they had some on hand for projects. Down the road when they decide they like FAL's better, there's nothing preventing the sale of those weapons.
FJ540

Postby Rem700 on Tue May 18, 2010 7:12 am

Interesting, I thought I had heard of this before but didnt pay much attention.
Thomas Jefferson

Rem700

Postby Inspiribomb on Tue May 18, 2010 1:37 pm

Well, it looks like Spikes Tactical and Bravo Company are a couple of very well-regarded companies for my upper and lower, with pretty good prices. What about the barrel? I'm thinking 16" bull-barrel with no flash hider, mid-length gas tube. What are some good options there?
Aaron
Inspiribomb

Postby Inspiribomb on Wed May 19, 2010 10:49 am

Looking more in depth at barrels. I found this barrel at Bravo Company:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-R ... 2016-8.htm

Would I just need to add a flash hider and go? Or is that something that will need to be pinned and welded? As I understand it, its a 16" barrel, so the muzzle attachment would not have to be permanently fixed.

What's this I am reading about head-spacing the bolt to the barrel? It seems like the more I read and learn, the more I need to learn.
Aaron
Inspiribomb

Postby FJ540 on Wed May 19, 2010 12:12 pm

There's an alignment pin that's pressed into a hole on the OD of the barrel extension (all sold as one unit already done) which clocks the barrel to the upper and then the barrel is retained in the upper by a big barrel nut. The head spacing is already set based on precision dimensions of the bolt (so long as the chamber was cut and then set right).

You can't weld on mil-spec forged AR receiver parts. They're 7075 alloy, and that's not weldable.
FJ540

Postby Norsesmithy on Wed May 19, 2010 9:22 pm

Inspiribomb wrote:Looking more in depth at barrels. I found this barrel at Bravo Company:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-R ... 2016-8.htm

Would I just need to add a flash hider and go? Or is that something that will need to be pinned and welded? As I understand it, its a 16" barrel, so the muzzle attachment would not have to be permanently fixed.

What's this I am reading about head-spacing the bolt to the barrel? It seems like the more I read and learn, the more I need to learn.

The only reason to weld on a flash hider is if your bare barrel with extension and bolt won't swallow a 16 inch dowel. If you aren't treading in SBR water the only other reason to weld on a muzzle device would be a state law about threaded muzzles, and those states all require a muzzle brake, instead of a flash hider.
Norsesmithy

Postby Inspiribomb on Thu May 27, 2010 2:59 pm

My decisions so far:

-Spikes Tactical upper and lower receiver
-Bravo Company 16" Stainless Recce barrel (with JP compensator, the little one not their massive one)
-Yankee Hill Machine mid length or Spectre length free float handguard
-Yankee hill machine low profile gas block.
-Bravo Company BCG, gunfighter charging handle and forward assist.
-magpul MOE or Vltor stock.
Aaron
Inspiribomb

Postby Bessy on Thu May 27, 2010 3:27 pm

Inspiribomb wrote:My decisions so far:

-Spikes Tactical upper and lower receiver
-Bravo Company 16" Stainless Recce barrel (with JP compensator, the little one not their massive one)
-Yankee Hill Machine mid length or Spectre length free float handguard
-Yankee hill machine low profile gas block.
-Bravo Company BCG, gunfighter charging handle and forward assist.
-magpul MOE or Vltor stock.

I wouldn't spend any extra money on a forward assist. I don't use them. If there is an ammo issue punching that forward assist is only going wedge it in there further making it impossible to extract. I just clear out the trouble round and go from there.

I'd also be very interested in hearing someone with real experience with the platform, in the sandbox, has to say about forward assist, as all my experience has been range or comp.
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Postby farmerj on Thu May 27, 2010 6:49 pm

Bessy wrote:I'd also be very interested in hearing someone with real experience with the platform, in the sandbox, has to say about forward assist, as all my experience has been range or comp.

I wouldn't own one without a FA. Course, then again, I would rather have a M14 too.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby shackleford on Thu May 27, 2010 7:04 pm

I just finished building my Spike's lower today, and am leaning heavily towards a spikes complete mid length upper. The specs are pretty impressive (at least to me, but probably not for all) and the price is pretty right as well. $535, and there is a code for another $50 off, so under 5 bills delivered. From what I have been reading their customer service is awesome to boot.

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.p ... cts_id=392

Let me know if you want any help putting together the lower. I am no expert by any means, only having done this one, but would be happy to help.
shackleford

Postby Norsesmithy on Thu May 27, 2010 8:25 pm

Bessy wrote:I wouldn't spend any extra money on a forward assist. I don't use them. If there is an ammo issue punching that forward assist is only going wedge it in there further making it impossible to extract. I just clear out the trouble round and go from there.

I'd also be very interested in hearing someone with real experience with the platform, in the sandbox, has to say about forward assist, as all my experience has been range or comp.

I don't have any military experience with the platform, but I like a forward assist for doing press checks.

With most uppers, you can either put in a forward assist, or put in a plug, and if you buy a plug, it's about the same price as a forward assist, and looks funny.
Norsesmithy

Postby Inspiribomb on Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:41 am

I finally realized that I could literally spend hundreds of hours researching black rifles, and I still wouldn't know what I wanted. So, I gave it my best shot given what I want to do with the rifle, and started ordering parts.

I wanted a jack-of-all-trades rifle. Something that I could scout around the hunting land with, take varmint hunting, etc. I settled in on the Bravo Company 16" Recce barrel with mid-length gas system and began building the rest of the rifle up around that.

-Spikes Tactical Upper and Lower Receiver
-BCM 16" Recce Stainless Barrel, 5.56 chamber, 1/8" twist
-BCM BCG
-BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle and forward assist
-Yankee Hill Machine Diamond mid-length Free Float Tube
-Stag LPK
-Vltor Modstock
-JP Enterprises Bennie Cooley Stainless Compensator

I had ordered a Vltor low-profile stainless gas block, but the finish didn't work with the barrel, so that's up in the air at this point. I did my best to buy quality parts , and will probably end up swapping out the trigger and pistol grip at some point, but for now I just want to get it up and running.

Future plans include an Eotech sight and 3X or 4X magnifier, as well as some Troy flip-up BUIS.

I should have all the parts by the end of the week, I am really excited to get it built up. I'd love to hear some thoughts and opinions!
Aaron
Inspiribomb

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns