AK Basics ...

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

AK Basics ...

Postby Flip on Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:38 pm

Hi All,

Someone was asking about AK variants and what was a good quality AK for plinking on a budget. I realized I have no idea about stuff like this other than I hear that the Bulgarian variants better than the Yugoslavian variants are better than the Romanian variants.

So I'm wondering what y'all have to say about cheap AK's that are reliable. I get the idea this was mainly a fun / plinking type thing so your $0.02 is welcome on a cheap AK that is reliable

Thanks,
Flip
It seems that politicians are most useful when they accomplish nothing at all
Flip

Re: AK Basics ...

Postby rtk on Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:41 pm

Check out http://www.warriortalk.com/

Good information on the AK platform.

RTK
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby LarryFlew on Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:51 pm

If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Bessy on Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:51 pm

Flip wrote:Hi All,

Someone was asking about AK variants and what was a good quality AK for plinking on a budget. I realized I have no idea about stuff like this other than I hear that the Bulgarian variants better than the Yugoslavian variants are better than the Romanian variants.

So I'm wondering what y'all have to say about cheap AK's that are reliable. I get the idea this was mainly a fun / plinking type thing so your $0.02 is welcome on a cheap AK that is reliable

Thanks,
Flip

I've been building ak's since I was 20. Ak's prices seem to have bottomed out recently. If you are looking for something with a military look on a budget a romanian ak (wasr 10) is going to be your best bet http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... groupid=11. The quality on early wasr's (commercial Romanian aks), was hit or miss but now most of the stuff century is turning out is okay on their end. The big thing you want to look for is if your front sight is canted. Canted front sights are something you CAN fix at home if you want.

If you don't already own a gun in 7.62x39 I'd check out getting one in 5.45x39, commonly refereed to as an ak-74. 5.45x39 is cheaper than 7.62x39, flatter shooting, and in my experience inherently more accurate than it's older brother. They sell them at aim as well
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... groupid=11.

In terms of which country makes the best ak. In terms of a STAMPED receiver. The order goes Yugoslavia, Russia, Bulgarian, Romanian. With Chinese right in there with Russia/Bulgaria. Yugoslavian kits are better machined/ better put together in general. They also have a heavy trunnion and receiver and weigh more than the others. The only draw back to the Yugoslavian guns is that most don't have chrome lined barrels, so make sure you check the barrel before purchasing (many have aftermarket us barrels which also aren't chrome lined either).

Functionally speaking all the above countries make a serviceable rifle, and you probably won't see any difference in function or accuracy between the different countries of origins. The difference will only be in fit and finish. Which is why I recommend the wasr's.

If you want something that is basically an ak without all the military stuff on it check out a saiga in 7.62x39. They are basically a sportorized ak. So much I could write here, but maybe you can let me know specifically what you are interested in. Then I can help steer you in the right direction.
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Postby Norsesmithy on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:42 am

Don't forget AKs in .223/5.56 if you already have AR-15s or something else in that caliber (I really like my milled Bulgy).

Saiga rifles are also available in .308.

Converting a Saiga to pistol grip and AK stock configuration is about 100 bucks, converting one to a true AK clone condition is about 300 bucks. Not quite as easy as building an AR, but not a terribly difficult project either.
Norsesmithy

Postby Bessy on Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:04 am

Norsesmithy wrote:Don't forget AKs in .223/5.56 if you already have AR-15s or something else in that caliber (I really like my milled Bulgy).

Saiga rifles are also available in .308.

AK's in 5.56 are sadly getting harder and harder to find. They tend to be a little more expensive. The only recent ones have been brought in by aresenal. While Aresenal's older milled guns are very very nice. Their newer stamped guns are simply single stack guns brought into the us and opened up to double stack. They tend to have poorer fit and finish compared to their earlier stuff. They are however the only game in town when it comes to odd variants, but are very expensive.

The milled 5.56 guns are considered pretty rare..... wonder where you would have gotten something like norse..... ;)
Bessy

Postby Flip on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:50 am

Thanks for the references and words. This is exactly what I was looking for

Flip
It seems that politicians are most useful when they accomplish nothing at all
Flip

Postby David on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:09 am

If you can get past the uncomfortable stock, the Hungarian AMD-65 is a great AK. And since Hungary isn't on the "bad guy" list, they are imported directly from FEG in Hungary, and not slapped-together from parts made in different countries. I paid $399 for mine a few months ago, but I haven't checked prices lately.

David

Postby Bessy on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:39 am

David wrote:they are imported directly from FEG in Hungary, and not slapped-together from parts made in different countries.

Don't be hater, I've slaped together quite a few nice rifles from parts kits :-)

David is right I totally forget about the FEG rifles, I've handled a few excellent fit and finish great guns at a great price. Some folks don't like them because they don't "look" like an ak, but they are excellent shooters.
Bessy

Postby gyrfalcon on Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:22 pm

If you modify an AK be cautious of the number of US/Import parts you have... It's not too hard to go from legal to illegal by swapping out what appears to be identical parts.

This site used to be one of the best resources on the Internet, but got bought out by the arfcom (ar-15.com) folks. Still has good info though:

http://www.ak-47.net/infocenterindex.php
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby gyrfalcon on Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:31 pm

David wrote:... I paid $399 for mine a few months ago, but I haven't checked prices lately...

Did you get it from CDNN?
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby Hobotorium on Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:47 am

If you end up getting a WASR, upgrade the furniture to something else fast. Whatever pieces of paper the Romanians are mashing together to make their laminate wood do not get dissipate heat at all. I picked up a set of mixed Bulgerian/US Arsenal/KVAR furniture for $60-$70 and it is a solid investment. Since you're just plinking get whatever fits your budget, and for the price you might as well get one of those Bulgerian AK-74s Centerfire Systems has for $369 delivered + FFL fees w/3 mags. If you want to stick to a 7.62 AK those Hungarian AMDs are only $20 more.
Hobotorium

Postby Bessy on Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:45 am

Hobotorium wrote: Since you're just plinking get whatever fits your budget, and for the price you might as well get one of those Bulgerian AK-74s Centerfire Systems has for $369 delivered + FFL fees w/3 mags. If you want to stick to a 7.62 AK those Hungarian AMDs are only $20 more.

I'd stay away from those guys. Century's 74's with American barrels have a VERY bad rap. They have been known to use 5.56 barrels in 5.45 guns, Drill the barrel pin hole over-sized, and a number of issues. Some turn out okay but the some look like communist abortion gone wrong.
Bessy

Postby Hobotorium on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:24 am

Bessy wrote:
Hobotorium wrote: Since you're just plinking get whatever fits your budget, and for the price you might as well get one of those Bulgerian AK-74s Centerfire Systems has for $369 delivered + FFL fees w/3 mags. If you want to stick to a 7.62 AK those Hungarian AMDs are only $20 more.

I'd stay away from those guys. Century's 74's with American barrels have a VERY bad rap. They have been known to use 5.56 barrels in 5.45 guns, Drill the barrel pin hole over-sized, and a number of issues. Some turn out okay but the some look like communist abortion gone wrong.

I've heard of the 5.56 barrels used for some of their Tantals earlier. Has that been happening with their Bulgerian 74's as well?
Hobotorium

Postby Bessy on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:39 am

Hobotorium wrote:
I've heard of the 5.56 barrels used for some of their Tantals earlier. Has that been happening with their Bulgerian 74's as well?

No confirmed cases at this point, but reports are spotty. One report I read the barrel swallowed 5.45x39 up to the neck, which doesn't mean a whole lot, he reported quarter sized groups at 25 and no keyholing at 100. I've was so scared off by their tantal's that I won't touch anything they make in 5.45x39. The major issue with century's limited run guns, is they farm it out often to multiple builders. You can end up with amazing stuff at a low price, or you can get absolute ****. I saw this first hand with the c93 I received. Better to get a known quantity IMHO.

Also.. no one seems to know who is making the barrels on these guys, what the twist rate is, and they are NOT chrome lined... which to me is an issue with 5.45x39 since surplus is such a huge part of the equation.
Bessy

Return to Long Guns