F-Class, who shoots it, what do you shoot?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Postby RAGGED on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:33 am

Did my first F-Class shoot last night, had a blast, made LOTS of rookie mistakes but can't wait to get back out there and see if I can fix some of those. Just wondering who here participates in these events and would be interested in knowing what you shoot and how you score with it.
RAGGED

Re: F-Class, who shoots it, what do you shoot?

Postby JJ on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:44 am

I have shot out at Elk River a couple times when there were shooting at 300. I haven't got a chance to try 600. I'm shooting a Blueprinted 700, 1-14" 6mmBR.
70g Matchking over H335.

First time out I scored 180 and a couple X's (that was on a completely undeveloped load because they made me shoot over 70g). The next week I had a little time to get a load tweaked, and managed a 194 4X on a day with shifting winds 5-15.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby RAGGED on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:02 am

JJH wrote:I have shot out at Elk River a couple times when there were shooting at 300. I haven't got a chance to try 600. I'm shooting a Blueprinted 700, 1-14" 6mmBR.
70g Matchking over H335.

First time out I scored 180 and a couple X's (that was on a completely undeveloped load because they made me shoot over 70g). The next week I had a little time to get a load tweaked, and managed a 194 4X on a day with shifting winds 5-15.

JJH wrote:I have shot out at Elk River a couple times when there were shooting at 300. I haven't got a chance to try 600. I'm shooting a Blueprinted 700, 1-14" 6mmBR.
70g Matchking over H335.

Not bad! I wish I could have shot at 300 first, was up at Elk River with a friend Sunday and on a whim decided to show up last night and shoot the 600. Was really fun, shot in the first group so wind was the worst (5-20 MPH gusting/swirling/switching) by the time the third grouped went the wind was dead. The only load I had good ballistics for was my 243 varmint load so I brought that, but the .330 BC was a big handicap. Next time I'm bringing the 338LM (.750 bc), just have to add about 7lbs to the rifle first!
RAGGED

Postby JJ on Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:53 pm

I'm hoping my work schedule changes before next summer and I can actually make it out and be a regular. If the schedule does change, I will be putting a 1-8 or 1-7.5 on so I can shoot either 105's or 115's, pinning my lug, and making my rig a switchbarrel job. I also want to upgrade the stock, as right now I'm sitting atop a Choate Ultimate Varmint. I have been thinking about a McMillan A5 but the pricetag has me scared of my DW.

I also shot last year with a Burris 4.5-14 and have since aquired a Weaver T-36 with target dot, so I should have a rig that will outshoot me any day.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby RAGGED on Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:17 pm

Well it's been just under a year and I managed to accomplish one of my goals, shoot a clean 600 yard target in a match. After back to back 198's in the first 2 relays I pulled a 200-9X and can put that one behind me. Felt pretty damn good. One thing is clear, the Savage F-Class rifles with an aftermarket barrel, are fully capable of putting up some high scores. 2 of the top 5 shooters were running them, the other 3 were full on customs in the 3.5-5K price range. Also another thing is clear, Gunsmith James Kobe out a Bloomington can chamber a bbl, 3 out of the top 5 had bbls done by him. Hopefully I can get my High Master card in the next year, that is goal number 2.

SAVAGE 243 WIN V2.0

RIFLE

Savage dual port target action (picked it up from Jim Briggs @ Northland Shooters Supply [NSS]- Buffalo MN)
PTG fluted bolt
Savage F-Class stock
Devcon titanium bedding job by myself,
Brux 1.25" dia straight blank, 1-7.75" twist, headspaced and chambered by James Kobe, Bloomington MN
NSS precision recoil lug
All stainless fully polished by myself
Rifle assembled by myself.

OPTICS

Nightforce 12-42X NXS, CH3
NEAR mfg Alpha mount
EGW 20 MOA steel picatinny rail

SUPPORTING CAST

SEB NEO front coaxial rest
Custom Protektor "DR" rear bag, heavy sand, 4 stitch

MATCH LOAD

115gr DTAC bullet, Superior Shooting (David Tubbs) .010" into lands
Lapua 243 brass, no neck trimming
CCI BR2 primer
42.3gr of RL22
Neck sized with Redding Comp die, .001-.0015" runout on case neck, .001" or less runout on ogive near start of bearing surface.
2950 FPS, 10 shot ES's in the 4-7FPS range
Last edited by RAGGED on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAGGED

Postby JoeH on Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:08 pm

I was helping teach an FAS class at Elk River this weekend. We took the kids to the KD range to see some 600 yard shooting. The kids were impressed.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby RAGGED on Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:27 pm

JoeH wrote:I was helping teach an FAS class at Elk River this weekend. We took the kids to the KD range to see some 600 yard shooting. The kids were impressed.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Yeah Elk River has a great program going, I really like it
RAGGED

Postby Erud on Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:10 am

What kind of turn out did they get this weekend at ER? Heard there wasn't a single sling shooter in the bunch. :?
Erud

Postby farmerj on Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:32 am

F-class.....

Keeps looking more and more like poor man's benchrest to me....

That is a purdy savage there though. Did NSS do the port opening on the left side for it?
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby RAGGED on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:15 am

Erud wrote:What kind of turn out did they get this weekend at ER? Heard there wasn't a single sling shooter in the bunch. :?

I was only able to attend Saturdays team match, turnout was pretty good, there was at least one sling shooter because I swapped in one of those GIGANTIC Highpower targets a few times! I know at all the MRC matches it was about 80-90% F-Class as well, maybe one 3pos and one sling each time. Let’s not pretend modern sling shooting is any more “pure” than F-Class, T2k tube guns, insane sights, hand stops, gloves, coats, hats, expensive spotting scopes and stands ect…… I think for most people that’s just too much gear to have to buy, to shoot F-Class all you have to do is throw a bipod on your most accurate rifle and have at it. You can be right in the thick of it with a $100 Caldwell BR rest and a Savage with an aftermarket bbl.

farmerj wrote:F-class.....

That is a purdy savage there though. Did NSS do the port opening on the left side for it?

I’m not sure I agree with the poor man’s benchrest, for one, its shot prone and not from a bench!
It’s really a good opportunity for your avg joe to bring out equipment he already has and shoot at some targets without feeling too out of place, but to consistently win matches you are going to need equipment that is every bit on par with the best benchrest guns out there, most high level F-Class rifles are running the same actions as the bench guys, stocks from the same makers, bbls from the same makers, about the only difference between an F-Class rifle and a Light BR gun is the stock ergonomics. Also the course of fire demands F-Class shooters be better at wind reading than BR guys who fire 5 rounds at a time, the wind can change a bit in a 20rd string.

The dual port Savage action is a factory piece, it’s available as a standalone action but can also be had on some of the Savage complete rifle, like the BR and maybe a LRPV.
RAGGED

Postby Erud on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:15 am

RAGGED wrote:
Erud wrote:What kind of turn out did they get this weekend at ER? Heard there wasn't a single sling shooter in the bunch. :?

I was only able to attend Saturdays team match, turnout was pretty good, there was at least one sling shooter because I swapped in one of those GIGANTIC Highpower targets a few times! I know at all the MRC matches it was about 80-90% F-Class as well, maybe one 3pos and one sling each time. Let’s not pretend modern sling shooting is any more “pure” than F-Class, T2k tube guns, insane sights, hand stops, gloves, coats, hats, expensive spotting scopes and stands ect…… I think for most people that’s just too much gear to have to buy, to shoot F-Class all you have to do is throw a bipod on your most accurate rifle and have at it. You can be right in the thick of it with a $100 Caldwell BR rest and a Savage with an aftermarket bbl.

farmerj wrote:F-class.....

I’m not sure I agree with the poor man’s benchrest, for one, its shot prone and not from a bench!
It’s really a good opportunity for your avg joe to bring out equipment he already has and shoot at some targets without feeling too out of place, but to consistently win matches you are going to need equipment that is every bit on par with the best benchrest guns out there, most high level F-Class rifles are running the same actions as the bench guys, stocks from the same makers, bbls from the same makers, about the only difference between an F-Class rifle and a Light BR gun is the stock ergonomics. Also the course of fire demands F-Class shooters be better at wind reading than BR guys who fire 5 rounds at a time, the wind can change a bit in a 20rd string.

The dual port Savage action is a factory piece, it’s available as a standalone action but can also be had on some of the Savage complete rifle, like the BR and maybe a LRPV.

I don't know if I'd agree about the cost of shooting HP. You can shoot Service Rifle with a decent coat, sling, glove, mat and scope for $2k or so and a lot of guys do. Kind of the HP version of "F-T/R". You can always spend as much money as you want on a given hobby, but you don't have to. Same as with F-Class though, most of the best shooters move up to a Match Rifle sooner or later - mostly after legging out.

The MRC winter 300 meter prone matches are mostly for F-Class shooters, there was also a every-other Saturday HP league that ran a 50-shot NM course match every 2 weeks. There were no F-Class shooters at the 300 Meter state championship matches in April at MRC. I've got nothing against F-Class, it's just a little too "disconnected" for me - shooting with a scope makes me feel like I'm doing load development.

Also, that "GIGANTIC" (1 MOA X-ring) HP target doesn't seem quite as big when you are shooting at it with sights(no magnification) and are supporting the rifle from positions, not laying next to it. It's the original target, the F-Class targets were made smaller when F-Class got started because it's not exactly the same challenge with a high-mag scope, sandbags, and bipod or rest. I even saw guys out at Lodi pounding tent stakes into the grass to anchor their front rests.

Are you going down to Red Wing on Saturday for the Team State Championship? Should be a fun match.
Erud

Postby RAGGED on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:54 am

Erud wrote:
I don't know if I'd agree about the cost of shooting HP. You can shoot Service Rifle with a decent coat, sling, glove, mat and scope for $2k or so and a lot of guys do. Kind of the HP version of "F-T/R". You can always spend as much money as you want on a given hobby, but you don't have to. Same as with F-Class though, most of the best shooters move up to a Match Rifle sooner or later - mostly after legging out.

The MRC winter 300 meter prone matches are mostly for F-Class shooters, there was also a every-other Saturday HP league that ran a 50-shot NM course match every 2 weeks. There were no F-Class shooters at the 300 Meter state championship matches in April at MRC. I've got nothing against F-Class, it's just a little too "disconnected" for me - shooting with a scope makes me feel like I'm doing load development.

Also, that "GIGANTIC" (1 MOA X-ring) HP target doesn't seem quite as big when you are shooting at it with sights(no magnification) and are supporting the rifle from positions, not laying next to it. It's the original target, the F-Class targets were made smaller when F-Class got started because it's not exactly the same challenge with a high-mag scope, sandbags, and bipod or rest. I even saw guys out at Lodi pounding tent stakes into the grass to anchor their front rests.

Are you going down to Red Wing on Saturday for the Team State Championship? Should be a fun match.

I always like to get you HP guys fired up :D

Me and some buddies were going to shoot F-Class at the MRC event but the price to enter was way to high so we said forget it, first place would have taken home about 1/4 of the price to enter, after MRC, MRRA and NRA get their cut there just wasn't anything left considering the likely size of the field. George didn't really do a good job letting people know F-Class could be shot, most had no clue at all, it more or less seemed like a 2nd thought, George is a good buy, but it’s clear he’s a HP shooter first.

In all honestly it’s pointless to compare the two disciplines, one is a much more precise and relies on the quality of the ammunition much more, the other takes a bit more skill on the field and demands the shooter have good fundamentals and form, both will benefit from strategy the same. For me I hunt with scopes, not open sites, so F-Class is a good fit because it's very similar to how id be shooting in the field. I also get a kick of the tiny little groups! I think they have done a good job leveling the playing field, the target is harder, the classification is harder with 98% High Master, all in all its gotten allot more people shooting NRA matches and that’s always a good thing!

I don’t have a team so I don’t think I’ll be going, also need to do a little work on the load, it’s shooting good, but not perfect, and I’m quickly running out of time on this bbl, damn 243's
RAGGED

Postby Erud on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:08 am

RAGGED wrote:
Erud wrote:

Me and some buddies were going to shoot F-Class at the MRC event but the price to enter was way to high so we said forget it, first place would have taken home about 1/4 of the price to enter, after MRC, MRRA and NRA get their cut there just wasn't anything left considering the likely size of the field. George didn't really do a good job letting people know F-Class could be shot, most had no clue at all, it more or less seemed like a 2nd thought, George is a good buy, but it’s clear he’s a HP shooter first.

In all honestly it’s pointless to compare the two disciplines, one is a much more precise and relies on the quality of the ammunition much more, the other takes a bit more skill on the field and demands the shooter have good fundamentals and form, both will benefit from strategy the same. For me I hunt with scopes, not open sites, so F-Class is a good fit because it's very similar to how id be shooting in the field. I also get a kick of the tiny little groups! I think they have done a good job leveling the playing field, the target is harder, the classification is harder with 98% High Master, all in all its gotten allot more people shooting NRA matches and that’s always a good thing!

I don’t have a team so I don’t think I’ll be going, also need to do a little work on the load, it’s shooting good, but not perfect, and I’m quickly running out of time on this bbl, damn 243's

There is definitely not much money to be won in this sport. I think any time you can come close to winning your match fees back you have done some pretty darn good shooting. There should be a good turnout on Saturday, the last 2 years have had 40+ for this match. I know there will be some pick-up teams being formed, so you could probably shoot if you wanted to.

Anyways, any shooting is good shooting as far as I'm concerned. It's good to have some different options available locally so hopefully everybody who'd like to shoot competitively can find something they enjoy. If anybody is interested, the MRRA website has all the schedules for the different disciplines posted here - left side towards the bottom of the page - click the one you want to see:

http://mrra.org/index.htm
Erud

Postby c.hazelton on Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:54 pm

There was one..
c.hazelton

Postby c.hazelton on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:00 pm

RAGGED wrote:
Erud wrote:

If your after a challenge, 98% would not get you a expert classification in smallbore prone, and you get to use a scope for half the match, if you choose.
c.hazelton

Next

Return to Long Guns