Anyone here shoot 50 cal?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Anyone here shoot 50 cal?

Postby RAGGED on Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:09 am

Nothing is going to happen anytime soon but I’m really starting to entertain the idea of getting one of these monsters some day. After shooting one a few weeks ago me and the woman both agree they are pretty fun and very impressive. I’m wondering if anyone on here shoots 50 cal, if so is there any gatherings in the state? If so how often and where? Does anyone know if Gopher up in Harris allows 50’s? I’m pretty set on the Armalite AR50, seems to be one of the most accurate ones out there and the build quality really seems to be pretty good, the action is huge and nicely done, the barrel is heavier then most and the stock is completely made out of aluminum, very cool. Also the price is somewhat reasonable (all things considered) it can be had for under $3k. In the shootout I saw it had the most effective muzzle break and least recoil of the bunch, even less than the Barrett semi. Anyone by chance shoot an Armalite 50? Thanz for any help you can give!
RAGGED

Re: Anyone here shoot 50 cal?

Postby David on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:40 am

Goalie is a big .50 FANatic. I expect he'll be along shortly to add his comments. The only .50 I've shot is his, and I have to say that I enjoyed it immensely. I plan to join that little group of shooters at some point myself!
David

Postby hammAR on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:48 am

.....50-110 Sharps........... :hmm:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby RAGGED on Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:27 pm

hammAR wrote:.....50-110 Sharps........... :hmm:

Sorry, 50 BMG, but you get the idea
RAGGED

Postby tacticalninja32 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:32 pm

Get the gun and bullets, I'll bring the ice tea and pull the trigger for you
Blood makes the grass grow
tacticalninja32

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:46 pm

I'm not a member of GRRC so I could be wrong, but I believe they prohibit 50 BMG.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby goalie on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:15 pm

I went with a State Arms over the Armalite. I am happy with the choice, as a shell-holder action was fine for what I wanted the rifle for.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby DARIVS ARCHITECTVS on Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:20 pm

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS

Postby RAGGED on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:21 pm

goalie wrote:I went with a State Arms over the Armalite. I am happy with the choice, as a shell-holder action was fine for what I wanted the rifle for.

What model did you end up with? What length of barrel? I had looked at those awhile back and wasn't a fan of the scope base being unsupported and hanging over the barrel, a 3 pound scope has a fair amount of mass and I've seen some pretty crazy slow motion videos of scopes flexing under the recoil of the 50bmg, It makes my stomach turn thinking of that happening to a $2000 NF Not sure if that’s the way they are with all of them but part of me likes the idea of a more robust mount for the rail, like on the armalite action, that thing is a hog. I only wish they had a slightly longer barrel.

Where do you shoot yours? What distance are you shooting at?
RAGGED

Postby hammAR on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:29 pm

All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby goalie on Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:13 am

RAGGED wrote:
goalie wrote:I went with a State Arms over the Armalite. I am happy with the choice, as a shell-holder action was fine for what I wanted the rifle for.

What model did you end up with? What length of barrel? I had looked at those awhile back and wasn't a fan of the scope base being unsupported and hanging over the barrel, a 3 pound scope has a fair amount of mass and I've seen some pretty crazy slow motion videos of scopes flexing under the recoil of the 50bmg, It makes my stomach turn thinking of that happening to a $2000 NF Not sure if that’s the way they are with all of them but part of me likes the idea of a more robust mount for the rail, like on the armalite action, that thing is a hog. I only wish they had a slightly longer barrel.

Where do you shoot yours? What distance are you shooting at?

I have a 30" barrel, aluminum stocked "shorty." People have won FCSA matches with them, and the stock scope mount. The scope mount is just fine. If your Nightforce breaks, they will give you a new one.....but it likely won't.

Larry gives you the option of what chamber type you want. AFAIK (I have not researched recently) the Armalite usually has a longer throat, making handloads a must to be competetive at 1k yards. You're going to handload anyhow though, unless you have more money than God.....

You can get a State Arms with a longer barrel. You can pretty much get a rifle from State Arms however you want it.

I shoot mostly on private land by my cabin, but I rarely have time to shoot right now. Only out to 800 so far.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:35 pm

I'm new here BUT anyone that has a good place to shoot one legally, contact me.
I will bring my AR-50 and my State Arms Shorty.

Cost will be minimal if you're not shooting my 800 grain solid brass Match Bullets.

Hi Goalie - I will even let you shoot for free, since the State Arms rifle was yours.
OldmanFCSA

Postby rockcreek on Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:17 pm

I shoot at GRRC, .50's are only allowed on the multi purpose range (max 200yds). It is fun to shoot it a few times at that distance, but then you get the itch to go further. I believe the way the berm is constructed on the 1,000yd line the big .50's would cause a lot of erosion. If that changes in the future, I will have to get another BMG.
rockcreek

Postby Snowgun on Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:17 pm

rockcreek wrote:I shoot at GRRC, .50's are only allowed on the multi purpose range (max 200yds). It is fun to shoot it a few times at that distance, but then you get the itch to go further. I believe the way the berm is constructed on the 1,000yd line the big .50's would cause a lot of erosion. If that changes in the future, I will have to get another BMG.

LAME

This also sounds like someone has been feeding you a load of BS IMO..... :?
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby crbutler on Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:32 pm

I've got a Barrett 82.

Its not a sniper rifle. I can hit 55 gallon barrels at 1000 with it (well, when I do my part- a HSLD operator I'm not...). The thing is fun to shoot, but I think a true match bolt gun is much more the idea for true 1000 yard competition.

I have a buddy who owned a AR50. Didn't like it, and couldn't get it to shoot as well as my Barrett. He sold it for a .338 Lapua as he could use it more.

One thing on .50's is the muzzle break is king...

As to GRRC the last time I was out there, I was told that members could shoot their 50's at 1000, but they banned it in competition. I was told it was more due to disruption on the firing line than anything else. However, I'm not a member, so its worth what its worth. I shoot mine on friend's property when I do the 1000 yard thing, but that's only been 2 times since I brought the rifle...
crbutler

Next

Return to Long Guns