Two and a half months of work of a Master

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Two and a half months of work of a Master

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:59 am

mn_smokeater wrote:under 7 grand :P

I really doubt that. I think you're low by a comma and a few decimal places at least.

I saw a small pair of gold earrings engraved by this guy sell for 2K. They were about the size of a nickle each, and not nearly as intricate.

I think you would have a hard time scheduling an appointment for 7K. :lol:
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby mn_smokeater on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:15 am

youch when your off your way off eh? :)
That guy from the Hinterlands of the Nord.
mn_smokeater

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:22 am

mn_smokeater wrote:youch when your off your way off eh? :)

And I'm saying that about just the engraving...... not even taking into consideration the rifle itself! My guess the rifle, before any of the engraving was substantially more than 7K.

I was curious and tried to find a price list. Seems lik this guy really plays his hand close to the chest. There are a number of things of his that have been sold, and many many folks that hold him in the highest regard, so I can imagine, Like anyone who is an absolute master in their craft, He commands a premium.

I would be really curious to know the total price though....

ETA i just saw that the Russian said the engraving was on par with $3-4 thousand..... I would have believed it to be substantially more.

It is beautiful work.
Stradawhovious

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:41 am

Least expensive double pricing I have seen would be the Sabbatti's at Cabela's at 6k which this is not. Merkel's I have seen some in the 10k range but that is probably about as cheap as they go and up from there, last time I was dreaming about a Wesley Richards I think cheapest I found was around 50k.
Holland&Holland

Postby White Horseradish on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:51 am

Stradawhovious wrote:ETA i just saw that the Russian said the engraving was on par with $3-4 thousand..... I would have believed it to be substantially more.

It is beautiful work.
In this economy the rates are lower. Also, this is what you might make a deal for direct with him. That's what the gun maker might pay. The complete gun will have serious markup. The engraving work might turn out to be something like 5% of the cost of the gun.

As far as rates, Paul isn't particularly web-savvy, so there isn't a great deal of info out there. The best way to get a quote is to ask.
"I have come to kick a** and chew bubblegum." <racks shotgun> "And I'm all out of bubblegum."

--John Nada, "They Live"
White Horseradish

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:02 pm

Holland&Holland wrote: last time I was dreaming about a Wesley Richards I think cheapest I found was around 50k.

My Lord. That's a car. A REALLY nice car.

Or in this market, a house.
Stradawhovious

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:21 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote: last time I was dreaming about a Wesley Richards I think cheapest I found was around 50k.

My Lord. That's a car. A REALLY nice car.

Or in this market, a house.

They sell in British pounds so with the current economy maybe one can get a "deal" dunno.
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:47 pm

If you want sticker shock, look at a Holland and Holland Royal grade in .577 NE or .600 NE.

In New York a few years ago I struck up a conversation with their Gun manager as I was looking for a .470 NE at the time. I thought maybe a used engilsh gun was in my reach (I found out it was, but not a nitro proofed gun, but if you want to hunt with it, BPE is not the best choice, and the bores are usually pretty corroded...) Anyhow, they had a 600 NE in the case. He asked if I wanted to look at it (duhhh) and I "shot" with snap caps the stuffed buffalo head with it. Really nice! It could be mine for a measly $750,000.

I found out from another guy that I was only the second guy at the place to be allowed to hold it, apparently because I had shot a buffalo before (the manager has a soft spot for buffalo hunting it seems). I am glad I found out what it was worth AFTER I had got to fondle it.

As an aside, that has to be a collector's piece.

Extraction is "iffy" with rimless double rifles- although H&H says that it "can be done"- but combine that with the higher pressures characteristic with rimless bolt rifle cartridges, the folks there were pretty insistent if I wanted a "working double" I had best get a "flanged" or rimmed rifle.

In any case, it is a work of art!
crbutler

Postby 1911fan on Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:44 pm

Galazan or Connecticut shotgun company usually has some used doubles in stock last time I was there they had a .470 NE double of fifties era manufacture, a British Best grade for about $75,000 which had some wear.

If you want to know prices on engraving think about it on a annual salary issue. Two and a half months is just about a quarter of a year. Do you really think this guy makes $28-30K a year? He is also known as a one project guy. Once he starts your job, it's the only one on his bench. Most likely you are looking at a retail price for that level of work for $40-50K.
1911fan

Previous

Return to Long Guns