SKS Valuation?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

SKS Valuation?

Postby Xscream on Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:50 pm

First off, I am not a SKS expert and have been trolling on some forums to figure out just what I have. I understand what you have can be a big determining factor on value. I'm trying to get a ball park idea - range if you will - for what this gun could/should be worth.

Late production 1956 Chinese SKS
26th Arsenal
no additional Chinese characters
2 million serial number, maybe? (265xxx)
all serial numbers match (trigger group, action, clip, stock, etc.)
no CJASFLD.ML stamp (that I can find)
blade bayonet (not a spike)

I am estimating this to be a late 1956 because of the bayonet and low serial number. From my reading 2 million was from late 1956 to 1958 with the bayonet cut-over before 1957. The trigger group, firing pin, action all are the earliest configurations. The stock has a bottom sling mount, not a side mount.

This gun has been used, shows light patina but is in overall good condition. So, how do I figure out what it's worth?
Last edited by Xscream on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xscream

Re: SKS Valuation?

Postby Shipyard on Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:11 pm

chineese SKS, nothin unique or special or add ons, currently goin for $250 - $300

even if it was a bit unique, they made millions of 'em. it's kind of like a ford "limited edition" :lol:

post up some pics of the markings and i'm sure one of the commie collektors will be along to tell you every nitty detail.
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby rockcreek on Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:59 pm

Worth a slight premium to a collector, particularly if it has a milled trigger guard, I would guess around $300-325. If it were a documented war trophy from Vietnam, you could be talking about some pretty good money. Then serial number on the reciever should be two digits longer than the number stamped on the other parts, on factory 26 rifles, add the first two digits to 1956 to get the production year (this is not proven fact, since the Chi-coms have never released production numbers). The earliest Chinese guns had a letter prefix, like the Russian guns.
rockcreek

Postby chopper on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:01 pm

Lots of sks info here http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php including how to date
chopper

Postby Xscream on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:17 pm

It does have the milled trigger guard. The serial number is only 6 digits long on all items. From my research on several of the forums, this was common for 1956, 26 guns during the Russian over-site period, but those should have had a letter starting the S/N.

The gun does have a documented war history.

I'll take some pictures and post them later.
Xscream

Return to Long Guns