Gonna buy an AR...

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Gonna buy an AR...

Postby MKearn on Fri May 04, 2012 8:41 pm

Noveske or POF? Why? I want accuracy, quality and something that is the best.
MKearn

Re: Gonna buy an AR...

Postby thunderoussilence on Fri May 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Spikes
thunderoussilence

Postby Spike on Fri May 04, 2012 8:47 pm

Spike

Postby TTS on Fri May 04, 2012 8:50 pm

For those prices have you considered Larue?

Given your two choices, I would say Noveske, I am a fan of DI over gas piston in an AR. Less moving parts, better parts availability and higher potential accuracy.
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby spliznat on Fri May 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Look into Daniel Defense as well
"Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?" Grandpa said, "No... but I served in a company of heroes".
Major Richard Winters
spliznat

Postby gman1868 on Fri May 04, 2012 9:30 pm

Couple of resources. THe AR15 spreadsheet is a new version, the original was removed by the person who created it.

AR-15 spreadsheet on Google Docs:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AqmgMm61Ok7WdExwaG16OENzOEZ1akp2a3Y2NjMxTEE&single=true&gid=2&output=html

Guide to explanation of features:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0Ajl2UPK0UHPscHdzd2hlZ2hOUXNFdUVoakZ3UHJnVEE&single=true&gid=5&output=html

I ended up buying a Daniel Defense DDXV about 18 - 20 months ago, got the best price at Gunstop. They are more expensive now than I recall from back then.

I also have a PDF that I got from somewhere that has a long article entitled "The Complete AR-15 Buying Guide". I didn't write it, and remember to take all information with a grain of salt. PM if interested.
Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby gyrfalcon on Fri May 04, 2012 9:54 pm

MKearn wrote:Noveske or POF? Why? I want accuracy, quality and something that is the best.

It sounds more like you just want brandname recognition. Noveske would be my recommendation because they're the most expensive. ;)

Other choices.
LWRC
LMT

AR's are kinda like race cars. If you want a good one you generally have to build it from the ground up yourself and test it for performance.
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby Hmac on Fri May 04, 2012 10:01 pm

Noveske.
Hmac

Postby russellmn on Sat May 05, 2012 1:01 am

MKearn wrote:Noveske or POF? Why? I want accuracy, quality and something that is the best.

For best accuracy, a piston gun won't do it. DI is where it's at for tack driving a semi-auto. quality??? I'd pick Noveske over POF and I'd pick Larue over pretty much anything else on the market. "something that is the best" is WAY too subjective, but Noveske and Larue are definitely up there in most anyone's list. I won't comment (much) on the Spikes suggestion...
russellmn

Gonna buy an AR...

Postby solidgun on Sat May 05, 2012 1:11 am

Noveske is not just brand name recognition, they are known for their barrel quality and that is where a big chunk of the money goes and then the monolithic upper.

I have no preference on DI or piston and have owned several POFs but now have switched to several Noveske. No particular reason. Just sticking with what I know.

I don't see how you can go wrong buying one or the other.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby gyrfalcon on Sat May 05, 2012 2:47 am

solidgun wrote:Noveske is not just brand name recognition, they are known for their barrel quality and that is where a big chunk of the money goes and then the monolithic upper.

Unless things have changed, Noveske is primarily just an assembling company. Pac Nor actually manufactures the barrels under contract for them. If you're looking for an accurate barrel companies like Krieger, Shilen, or Badger Barrel produce products that will out shoot a Noveske branded barrel any day of the week.
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby Erud on Sat May 05, 2012 5:18 am

There is really no practical accuracy difference between DI and piston AR's, all else being equal. If you are a guy that likes to set up with sand bags on a bench and try to shoot the tiniest groups humanly possible you may find some marginal difference in accuracy, but what difference does it really make if the gun shoots 1/2 MOA or 5/8 MOA? Personally, id rather set my hair on fire than sit and shoot tiny groups all day. Both brands you mention are top-notch and should shoot in that neighborhood with good ammo and a competent shooter.

I've got a lot of AR's of different brands and configurations. All are DI except for one POF. They all shoot well and i dont keep any guns that are not accurate. The POF shoots as well as any comparably set up AR I have used. To me, the interesting thing about the POF is that there is really very little need to clean it. I will patch out the barrel after use, but there will be nothing at all on the bolt, etc. This is pretty nice if you like to shoot a lot. I also like the right-side bolt release built into their GEN III lowers and use them for my NRA Highpower match guns. With your left arm locked in with a sling, it's a huge advantage to not have to break position and reach over/around your rear sight to close the bolt. POF uses Rock Creek barrels which are among the finest cut-rifled barrels you can get and will shoot with any Krieger, Bartlein, Obermeyer, etc.

If you are going to spend the kind of money you are talking about on an AR, it had better shoot well regardless of the type of gas system. Just decide what you like and buy one.
Erud

Postby Hmac on Sat May 05, 2012 5:46 am

gyrfalcon wrote:
solidgun wrote:Noveske is not just brand name recognition, they are known for their barrel quality and that is where a big chunk of the money goes and then the monolithic upper.

Unless things have changed, Noveske is primarily just an assembling company. Pac Nor actually manufactures the barrels under contract for them. If you're looking for an accurate barrel companies like Krieger, Shilen, or Badger Barrel produce products that will out shoot a Noveske branded barrel any day of the week.

That's actually never been the case. Noveske's barrels are entirely proprietary, from barrel material to chambering and rifling. Take a look at this often-cited Defense Review interview with John Noveske http://www.defensereview.com/noveske-ri ... -part-one/

As to other components, there are pretty much only 5 or 6 machining companies that turn out uppers and lowers. The advantage of upper tier companies like Noveske lies in their quality assurance. They measure specs on every single upper and lower and have more rigid standards as to what they will accept in any rifle they build, as opposed to the consumer-grade mfgrs, who have lower standards...in some cases FAR lower standards. The fact that Noveske throws out so many because of poor tolerances is the main reason their rifles cost more. Chances of getting a rifle with top-quality parts that are demonstrated to be in-spec are much greater with companies like Noveske, Colt, DD, BCM. If accuracy is important as well as reliability, it's VERY hard to beat Noveske, in large part because of their proprietary stainless steel barrels.

I'm not a piston guy. Nothing wrong with the concept, but my old-school brain sees them as a solution in search of a problem. That being said...if I were going to buy an AR with a piston gas system, I would get a Huldra (you can see them at a Fleet Farm near you). I've seen them shoot and I know many of the principles in the company. It's an excellent rifle.

http://www.huldraarms.com/

Hmac

Postby gyrfalcon on Sat May 05, 2012 6:11 am

Hmac wrote:That's actually never been the case. Noveske employees work at PacNor to turn out the blanks, the employees then clock out at PacNor and clock in at Noveske along with the barrel blanks, where they do the chambering and rifling in-house using proprietary technique designed by John Noveske. ........

I'm not a piston guy. Nothing wrong with the concept, but my old-school brain sees them as a solution in search of a problem. That being said...if I were going to buy an AR with a piston gas system, I would get a Huldra (you can see them at a Fleet Farm near you). I've seen them shoot and I know many of the principles in the company. It's an excellent rifle.

http://www.huldraarms.com/

I don't think what you're saying is correct. John Noveske worked for PacNor before he started Noveske Rifle Works. The companies are closely associated. I think John Noveske tries to spin it like his barrels are highly proprietary and made with pixie dust.

Huldra = Adams Arms if you don't want to get them through fleet farm.
gyrfalcon

Postby xd ED on Sat May 05, 2012 6:59 am

So you want to buy an AR-15, huh?

Recommended reading from another board.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Next

Return to Long Guns