Rifle Rests, bags, ect

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Rifle Rests, bags, ect

Postby RAGGED on Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:46 pm

Erud wrote: When used properly, you will give up no accuracy vs. a bipod or rest

Nothing? I call BS on that, sure you can print very respectable groups with a sling but you guys are also using jackets and to call match sights “open sights” is just a bit of a misrepresentation.

There is a reason your X and 10 ring’s are twice as big as the guys shooting from rests :D

If I were you Dan id make an F-Class style Bipod, like the ones Sinclair and others make, they work really nice. Get a good rear bag and you should do just fine.

Oh and SEB NEO > * I'd sell most of my rifles before I'd sell my NEO, its a work of art.
RAGGED

Postby Erud on Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:26 pm

RAGGED wrote:
Erud wrote: When used properly, you will give up no accuracy vs. a bipod or rest

Nothing? I call BS on that, sure you can print very respectable groups with a sling but you guys are also using jackets and to call match sights “open sights” is just a bit of a misrepresentation.

There is a reason your X and 10 ring’s are twice as big as the guys shooting from rests :D

If I were you Dan id make an F-Class style Bipod, like the ones Sinclair and others make, they work really nice. Get a good rear bag and you should do just fine.

Oh and SEB NEO > * I'd sell most of my rifles before I'd sell my NEO, its a work of art.

Ok, maybe "nothing" is a bit of an overstatement. I know you like to argue these points with me, so here we go again:

The reason for the larger 10 and X rings is that those are the original NRA targets that were designed long ago for shooting with sling and sights. The f-class target was developed later when guys started shooting from rests and sandbags with high-magnification scopes. I am sure you recognize the difference. Would you enjoy shooting your rig on a HP target? The fundamental skills acquired from learning to shoot with a sling transfer to virtually any other shooting style. It's more that just slow-fire prone strings off of a rest. No matter how much you like F-Class, I think it'd be hard for you to argue against that point. I can shoot pretty well with a scoped rifle.

A brief history of F-Class shooting from the US F-Class web page:

http://images.usfclass.com/pdf/bisley_booklet_2009.pdf

F-Class shooting was the brainchild of Canadian George Farquharson and the "F" was derived from his last
name. Mr. Farquharson came up with the idea of F-Class to enable he and other older shooters to continue
competing alongside "iron sight" shooters who used a sling. He replaced the iron sights with a scope and
replaced the sling hold with the option of using either a front bi-pod or a rest. F-Class is shot from the prone
position where the shooters lay on a mat.
He convinced the Canadian NRA (DCRA) to approve his idea and F-Class was begun as an official shooting
sport in Canada in the 90's. The idea caught on fire and very quickly spread to the British Commonwealth,
Germany, France, Netherlands and the United States.
As the sport grew in the United States, NRA officially accepted it and today F-Class has tens of thousands
of shooters worldwide and is, by far, the fastest growing shooting discipline in the United States. This was
evidenced by the fact that the President of the NRA, Mr. John Sigler, actually competed in the 2008 F-Class
National Championship in the U.S.
Currently, F-Class shooters shoot on targets that are half the size of the targets used by iron sight shooters,
which raises the bar for shooters dramatically and increases the level of skill required to reach the top.

I am glad that F-Class is around to keep older shooters like you active in the shooting sports. I may transition into it some day when I am no longer able to shoot HP. Although I shoot a match rifle with match sights for competitions now, I have a little gold badge that they pinned on my chest at Camp Perry a couple of years ago that says I can shoot ok with with an AR15 A2 with carry handle sights, too. Does that count for anything? 8-)

Regards,
Erik

PS - I didn't call them "open sights", I called them "iron sights" - same term that the US F-Class website uses for them. Is there another term you'd prefer? "Super Sights" maybe? They're still just 2 holes that you line up over the black part of the target, just machined to very tight tolerances as to be 100% reliable and repeatable.
Erud

Postby highwarden on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:52 pm

One of the things that everyone posting on forums about how much more accurate F-class shooters are versus sling shooters just seem to forget to mention
is that F-class guns weigh twice what a sling shooters rifle usually does. I am sure some one will quickly point some inaccuracies in that statement. Just
read all the rules for each class and pick your poison.
highwarden

Postby RAGGED on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:18 pm

Erik :

Step One, take a deep breath

Step Two, relax

Step Three, look above, see that little smiley face I put in the reply you quoted, that means I’m **** with you bud, no novel length post needed.

Good Luck shooting with those super sights :D I haven't shot a single round thru my F-Class rig since last years mid range championship in Duluth, pretty sure I saw you there in one of those fancy pants shootin coats.
RAGGED

Postby Stradawhovious on Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:51 am

Hey Dan, I just bought a Caldwell Matrix from FF for about $40 for sighting in my mosins.

Let me start by saying by all rights, it's a piece of ****. It's light, plastic, and cheap.

Realistically though, it worked perfectly for what I needed it for. It kept the rifle aimed exactly where I wanted it, so I could see POI, and make the necessary adjustments to sight in my toys. It also comes apart at the middle, and has a hand rest to double as a pistol sight in rest. Also, the hand rest can be removed to accomodate longer AR mags.

It's elevation adjustments are quickly and effortlessly make with just one hand, and it is very easy to lug back and forth to the car. Best yet, it doubles as a cleaning stand. I cleanid all my rifles in front o fthe TV today with ease thanks to this little guy.

Is it a $500 competition rest?

Nope. Not even a little. The pros and snobbish elite would turn their nose up at this tool.

Does it get the job done for the recreational user? Youbetcha.

You are welcome to borrow it and try it out if you want. You know where to find me.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:25 am

DonT wrote:I use a Caldwell Rock BR with a rabbit ear rear bag. Bought it a couple of years ago and have not regretted it for a moment.

DonT

I have one of those but it has way too much slop built into it for exacting long range shooting.
That said, I did use it for 4 years before buying my Ransom.
My Ransom rests include both front and back for total control of rifle.
Front rest has been modified for a 5" wide forearm adapter on Heavy rifle.
OldmanFCSA

Rifle Rests, bags, ect

Postby JoeH on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:34 am

Bipods seem popular in F Class. Harris bipods are good. GG&G are better. Atlas are betterer. Bobro are the best IMHO.

I like bipods as they are more versatile in terms of hunting, plinking, etc.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby EJSG19 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:08 pm

I called around to plastic manufacturing companies, found a place that uses plastic pellets as raw material. They are about 1/8'' dia. and have some good weight to them, although not as heavy as sand.

I got about 40lbs of them for about $20 plus $15 shipping. Took in an old pair of ripstop pants that I had no concerns of fitting into again, and the local sewing shop lady charged me $20 to make all the bags I wanted. They work great. Don't abrade wood stocks like sand, don't attract moisture or critters like any of the grains people use. Cheap and custom to your needs.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby Humphrey Bogart on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:01 pm

above image quoted from thread

I've got one of these...the legs fly out for even lower support...with crank and lock for elevation $10

http://www.camera-news.com/camlinktp330 ... -3209.html
Humphrey Bogart

Previous

Return to Long Guns