Rem BDL in 7 rem mag-help me reduce the recoil a little.

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Rem BDL in 7 rem mag-help me reduce the recoil a little.

Postby kowalzekc on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:35 am

rugersol wrote:
kowalzekc wrote:It looks like a muzzle brake install will run just under $200 installed. For that price I could get this: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1540 ... ZZLE-BRAKE

I only meant I was lucky with the BOSS, in that it was a brake ... I wouldn't be overly concerned about being able to adjust it!

kowalzekc wrote:Or I could do a mercury recoil reducer and decent recoil pad and come out cheaper. If anyone has used/drilled out and installed a mercury recoil reducer in there stock, let me know what you think.

I bought one ... I didn't hafta drill out the stock ... it already had a 7/8th hole 'er such ... I didn't think it did much ... other than it was remarkably heavy, for its size ... for comparison, I took it out and otherwise poured #8 shot in ... seemed about as heavy ... and about as much/little recoil!

Now that I think of it, I wonder where it might be?! :?

FWIW, if ya don't already have the scope ya want for the gun, ya could go with something closer to 24oz than 12oz ... that'd get ya 3/4 lbs! ... throw some high Warne (steel) rings on there, and that'd bump it up, too! ... steel one-piece picatinny mount, too!

'Course, even w/o all that stuff, if it's anything like mine, it's not a gun that's fun to lug around for too long! ... so I'd still go for the handloads or the brake!

Sounds like the best things then are, a muzzle brake, recoil pad and lighter loads.
Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals... all we know is, he's called the Stig.
kowalzekc

Postby rugersol on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:45 am

FWIW, if ya get the bbl threaded for a brake, if it's 24in+, I'd get it cut down to 22in, first!

Ya'll lose some velocity ... but ya got plenty to spare! ;)

That's the #1 reason I use another rifle anymore ... my 7mm carries like an iron broomstick! :|
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby mmcnx2 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:59 am

These guys with there 7mm mag for deer must be the same running 22's on their SUV for off roading.
mmcnx2

Postby kowalzekc on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:02 am

mmcnx2 wrote:These guys with there 7mm mag for deer must be the same running 22's on their SUV for off roading.

You sound like you have experience with said products and activities.....You seem to know a thing or two about it.
Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals... all we know is, he's called the Stig.
kowalzekc

Postby mmcnx2 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:35 am

kowalzekc wrote:
mmcnx2 wrote:These guys with there 7mm mag for deer must be the same running 22's on their SUV for off roading.

You sound like you have experience with said products and activities.....You seem to know a thing or two about it.

Just witnessed enough of these folks at the range and in the field. Both have 'over compensating' written all over them. Sounds like maybe I struck a nerve.
mmcnx2

Postby kowalzekc on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:41 am

mmcnx2 wrote:
kowalzekc wrote:

Just witnessed enough of these folks at the range and in the field. Both have 'over compensating' written all over them. Sounds like maybe I struck a nerve.

NAaa, just trying to stir up some fun! I bought the gun for its versatility and because of how flat the 7mm rem mag shoots. I am no recoil hero, my first gun was a .243 and I still miss it.
kowalzekc

Postby Slayer_MN1 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:42 am

kowalzekc wrote:

I use mine on little antelope so I must run 24's

540 yards, one shot behind the shoulder.

A good recoil pad does help, wouldn't personally recommend the mercury recoil reducer as they aren't all that effective. Go with a brake, it'll reduce the felt recoil to that of a 243win. Just don't forget your ear plugs.. :twisted:
"From time to time the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants, and patriots."

Aquitas et Veritas
Slayer_MN1

Postby RangerTim on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:29 pm

The easiest ways to reduce recoil are as follows:

Make the rifle heavier (target rifles way a couple pounds more for a reason)
Make the bullet lighter (even 10-20 grains lighter can be felt in the shoulder)
Add a softer butt pad
Add an aggressive muzzle brake

If you go the heavier rifle route, you can get pretty creative. Just make sure whatever you do doesn't unbalance your rifle. I've seen a guy back home who put an enlarged knob on the bolt handle, got a much bigger and heavier scope mount and rings, a 2 inch long muzzle brake, and add a metal shim in between his buttstock and recoil pad...it felt like crap but it added nearly a pound. If you want something more practical get a custom heavy stock.
"For Those I Love, I Give My Life"
LCpl Rick Centanni, USMC
KIA 3/24/2010
Helmund Province, Afghanistan
RangerTim

Postby shooter115 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:37 pm

First off the 7mm mag is an awesome caliber for big game hunting. I have a little bit of experience the cartridge and have used it to take antilope out at over 600 yards. Here's the rig:
7mm Reminton Mag
Squared and blueprinted Remington action
Tubb Speedlock firing pin assembly
Jewell trigger
26" 1-9 twist Kreiger barrel in a custom heavy sporter contour
Holland recoil lug
HS Precision thumbhole stock/ action bedded with Devcon
Leupold VXIIILR 6.5-20x50mm scope with target dot
Leupold Mark4 steel rings
Lots of other do-dads, I'm just too lazy to mention

Best thing I would sugest to reduce recoil is install a Limbsaver recoil pad. It will cut your felt recoil by about 30%. They are amazing, trust me. Start with that before thing else.

To those that say the 7mm is overkill for anything short of a t-rex needs to get off their meds. Get out in the high desert country where the winds always blowing and there's nothing between you and your target except for a single sage bush and 400 yards of open country. Yea I think I'll take the .643 BC of a 168 Berger VLD at 3100 FPS anyday.

No... It's not a bench gun. No.....It's never going to be a lot of fun to launch tons of rounds downrange. What it is, is a great hunting cartridge. If I want to shoot a lot of bullets at targets a long ways away, that's a job for the 6BR.
shooter115

Postby rugersol on Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:04 am

I wouldn't recommend a 7mm Rem Mag as a first/only MN deer rifle! (bear in mind, it was my choice ... but based on extremely little information)

For 300yd+ shots, I'm sure it's a dandy! Image

But if you're gonna use it 80%+ for MN deer, I'd neuter that sucker! ;)
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby promod1385 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:25 am

I would second the limbsaver mentioned above. I put one on my old 12ga double gun and it was way better than another other pad I have tried.

I would also get one of those strap on recoil pads that can be worn over your clothes. Throw it in the range bag for your time spent on the bench and you should be GTG. It way cheaper than a muzzle device. In the field you wont be firing a pile of rounds in one day and with the buck fever pumping through your vanes I am sure you wont even feel it.
promod1385

Postby Pred on Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:15 pm

lol, you talk as if the 7mm rem mag was some kind of monster cartridge. You think a 140gr bullet is too big for deer? I don't have the luxury of having a rifle for every different game animal I would like to hunt. The 7mm is a very versatile cartridge. Almost as much so as the 30.-06. If I'm 'over-compensating' for anything, it's a lack of money! :roll:

Sorry OP for the drift. When I need to bench my rifle, I usually throw a bag of shot or a sandbag between my shoulder and stock. I can shoot as many rounds as needed then.
Pred

Postby aht_six on Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:12 pm

From my personal experience, I would think a limb-saver recoil pad would solve your problem, they work very well. Muzzle brakes work, but they're expensive and often significantly increase the report for the shooter and the people around him.

I would recommend first trying a PAST recoil pad when your shooting at the range. Once you become accustom to the rifle, you likely won't need to change or add anything. http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/past/catalog.asp?family=past-recoil-pads

It's just a 7 Rem Mag, the field performance and recoil is in the same class as a .270, .280, or .30-06.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
aht_six

Postby FJ540 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:22 pm

Make some magnum powder loads - as was said: long slow push to decent velocity = happy shoulder and excellent accuracy.

My 3100fps 120gr .25-06 loads feel like an AR. Ragged hole accuracy @100yds too.
FJ540

Postby Pinnacle on Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:49 pm

If you want to reduce the recoil of a 7mm Mag... Buy a .270.... (On paper they are pretty damn similar...)

Nuff said..
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns