45-70 opinions?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

45-70 opinions?

Postby mnguy19 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:46 pm

After doing some reading online, I keep hearing great things about this caliber. One article I believe claimed it was one of the best brush guns you could find. Does anybody have any experience or opinions with the 45-70? I love what I hear about the round but you know how the internet "experts" can be.

I had been leaning towards the 30-30 as I have a thing for lever actions but if it turns out the 45-70 is everything I hear it is, I'll likely change my mind.
"It's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it".
mnguy19

Re: 45-70 opinions?

Postby westhope on Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:45 pm

Great cartridge. In the right gun it can be hand loaded to near 458 Win. Mag energy.

Most factory (some factory rounds do state they are not for the old trap door rifles) rounds are loaded low so they will work in the old trap door rifles. In a Marlin lever gun they can be loaded higher. In my Ruger # 1 rifle they can be loaded up to near 458 Win Mag. Shoots 300 to 405 grain bullets mostly.

It is a 150 to 200 yard rifle in any of the loadings. Same as a 30-30. For deer, I would stay near the factory loadings in 45-70. More than enough.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby old guy on Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:17 pm

Carried one for many years, excellent cartridge. I loaded the 405s to just over 1700 in a Marlin, now I have a Mauser in .458 Win. that I load down the 405s to 1830.

John
old guy

Postby rugersol on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:24 pm

I've loaded 405's around 1,400 ... target shooting only ... plenty accurate ... at least with the cast bullets I was using!

For hunting, I'd rather use my .44! ... basically the same trajectory ... deer's jest as dead!

If ya want a nice levergun that'll reach out, if ya need it to, I'd stick with the .30-30 ... the new FTX bullets make 'em a 300yd+ gun!

If they still make a .308 MX, that might get ya few more yards ... but I'd probly stick with the .30-30!

"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby mnguy19 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:36 am

rugersol wrote:I've loaded 405's around 1,400 ... target shooting only ... plenty accurate ... at least with the cast bullets I was using!

For hunting, I'd rather use my .44! ... basically the same trajectory ... deer's jest as dead!

If ya want a nice levergun that'll reach out, if ya need it to, I'd stick with the .30-30 ... the new FTX bullets make 'em a 300yd+ gun!

If they still make a .308 MX, that might get ya few more yards ... but I'd probly stick with the .30-30!

I may be a touch old fashioned, but I prefer to hunt with iron sights, so I likely won't be reaching out that far anyway. However, my main concern is bullet availability (I know most people reload). The reason I like the 45-70 in addition to the 30-30, is I was reading that with the right load, you can hunt nearly anything in North America with the 45-70. I've always valued a versatile round and I am kind of a backwoods gun enthusiast so I thought this might be the best for that purpose. Any input? Right now I carry a Ruger Blackhawk 357 for my outdoor excursions but if I go waaay up North this year I'm thinking a good 45-70 would be more in the power range of what I'm looking for in terms of what I can use it for. But, that's why I come here, to hear from people who have actually shot em.
"It's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it".
mnguy19

Postby mnguy19 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:39 am

westhope wrote:Great cartridge. In the right gun it can be hand loaded to near 458 Win. Mag energy.

Most factory (some factory rounds do state they are not for the old trap door rifles) rounds are loaded low so they will work in the old trap door rifles. In a Marlin lever gun they can be loaded higher. In my Ruger # 1 rifle they can be loaded up to near 458 Win Mag. Shoots 300 to 405 grain bullets mostly.

It is a 150 to 200 yard rifle in any of the loadings. Same as a 30-30. For deer, I would stay near the factory loadings in 45-70. More than enough.

Great advice, would you say that this is as versatile a round as people say? I've heard that with the right load you can hunt nearly anything in North America with a 45-70. Would you say you'd agree?
mnguy19

Postby photogpat on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:52 am

mnguy19 wrote:
westhope wrote:Great cartridge. In the right gun it can be hand loaded to near 458 Win. Mag energy.

Great advice, would you say that this is as versatile a round as people say? I've heard that with the right load you can hunt nearly anything in North America with a 45-70. Would you say you'd agree?

For nearly 150 years people have hunted every big game animal in NA with the .45-70. Its extremely versatile, and out of a lever action...even more so! Like westhope indicated above, just don't ask it to go long distances...the power really drops out beyond 200yds.

4570.jpg
4570.jpg (16.08 KB) Viewed 3813 times

LongTrajectoryGraph.jpg
LongTrajectoryGraph.jpg (33.05 KB) Viewed 3761 times
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby engnerdan on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:54 am

I got one and another one in the works. It is a cool cartridge with lots of history. It is also fun to see peoples reaction when you show then a round (people who have never shot it before). The recoil is not bad at all and there. There are a few selections of factory ammo available at the local sporting goods stores and more available online. One other caliber to consider but it is more rare is the 450 Marlin, this is often called the "modern 45-70", it is a bit shorter and no rim.

If you are looking for a cost effective way to get into a 45-70 check out the NEF/H&R Handi-Rifle. I think they can be picked up online for about $300.
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Postby rugersol on Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:57 am

mnguy19 wrote:I may be a touch old fashioned, but I prefer to hunt with iron sights, so I likely won't be reaching out that far anyway.

You 'n I, both! ... I've got a peep on my .338 MX! ;) ... I've also shot it (benched) at 300yd ... with good results! It's remarkable how accurate a good peep, can be!

Some of 'em also come with replaceable apertures ... at which, simply removing any aperture, leaves a "ghost ring" ... if ya otherwise desire that, fer a particular outing!

In this case, the trajectory's gonna be the thing! I don't like to drag a range-finder with me ... so I like PBR! ... with a 200yd zero, and ~3in at the top of the arc somewhere around 150yd, ya got a good idea, based on estimate range, whether ya might be an inch 'er two high 'er not ... and if ya really wanna, ya can try holding a skosh low ... but if ya zero on the lower-end, ya can get away with a dead-on hold out to 225yd - 250yd!

Ya can do somethin' similar with .45-70 ... but the zero's gonna be shorter ... and the top of the arc's gonna be higher! To match the new FTX .30-30, ya'd likely hafta zero at 150yd ... and at 200yd, yer already low 6in ... past that, best to leave it be! And that's a shame ... 'cause ya still got plenty of power left ... it's jest a waste, at that point! ... and that's only if ya use a 325gr FTX ... anything else, and yer gonna be a lot shorter! ... and it's gonna kick!

I wouldn't sell a 160gr .308 at 2,000fps (and that's at 150yd) short! ... that's still gonna solve an awful lotta problems! Lotsa guys are usin' 110gr - 125gr .308 bullets at 2,200fps 'er less (.300 BLK), to take hogs ... with ease! .308 MX is over 2,600fps at the muzzle, and still over 2,000fps at 300yd! .338 MX is the best ... but it appears they've discontinued it?! Image

No law (yet) against owning more than one, neither! ... I do! ;) ... but the .45-70 sees a LOT more bench! ... without a range-finder ... and a real nice tang peep, I wouldn't bother! And, again, if I don't need the peep, I'm in all of .44 range ... much more better gun to carry, and shoot!

For "bullet availability", I'm not sure if you handload 'er not ... I jest loaded up on cast ... no problems, there! I suspect ya won't otherwise have a problem with jacketed! As for loaded ammo, if yer tryin' to play that "gas-station 300mi from nowhere" game :roll: I wouldn't hold my breath! ... but then, I usually jest bring along 60rd plus (if fer no other reason, than if I need to prove my marksmanship to earn a couple free beers! ;) )

.38-55 might also do what ya like? ... .35 Rem., fer that matter! Each of them is gonna have a better trajectory ... to an extent! Personally, I see no reason to compromise! ... get the .30-30 ... AND a .45-70 ... with both of 'em, there'd be very little ya couldn't accomplish! 8-) If ya want a skosh more muscle, ya could go with .308 MX ... but I'd stock up on bullets (Hornady sells a slightly different 160gr FTX bullet fer the .308 vs. the .30-30) and brass! :?

If ya insist on .45-70, either be prepared to let da tirty-point buck at 225yd go! ... 'er bring a range-finder! ... and know how to adjust yer sights! :|
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:12 am

I think for an all around cartridge you need to upgrade to a .50-90 sharps. You never know when you will need to defend yourself from stampeding bison
sgruenhagen44

Postby goalie on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:50 am

45-70 is a great round. Big and slow kills deer well with little meat damage.

That said, if deer are the biggest thing you'll be hunting, I've never had to shoot one twice with my 30-30's either, and you can buy/reload it much cheaper.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby old guy on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:09 am

With the 405s at 1700+ I sighted in 3" up at 100yds and they dropped in 9" low at 200 but thats just a backline hold. Recoil is noticeable tho.

John
old guy

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:46 am

Ok, you asked for opinions so despite the fact that others have quite adequetly esposed the virtues of this round I can't hold back any longer.

I love the .45-70. It is one of my favorite cartridges. The history, the power, and good looks all wrapped into one cigar shaped package :D

Ya gotta love a cartridge developed around the civil war that can drop really anything you throw at it. Ok so it might not be the best for dangerous game in affrica, but in the correct loadings it is might damn close.

Of course I roll with my .45 a bit different...

Holland&Holland

Postby mnguy19 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:53 pm

Darn, I'm still torn! I love the 45-70 for an all around brush gun, but I can't help but think I may appreciate a round that holds its energy a little further. If I'm shooting at 100 yards or closer, the 45-70 is a no brainer but now, I'm looking at the Marlin 450 as it's pretty much a 45-70 that keeps its energy downrange. I also love the cost of the 30-30 ammo. Sigh..you guys have helped a ton and yet I still can't decide. :?
mnguy19

Postby Molasses on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:56 pm

mnguy19 wrote:Darn, I'm still torn! I love the 45-70 for an all around brush gun, but I can't help but think I may appreciate a round that holds its energy a little further. If I'm shooting at 100 yards or closer, the 45-70 is a no brainer but now, I'm looking at the Marlin 450 as it's pretty much a 45-70 that keeps its energy downrange. I also love the cost of the 30-30 ammo. Sigh..you guys have helped a ton and yet I still can't decide. :?

If you don't mind the whole lack of selection in ammo makers and brass, the .450 wouldn't be a bad choice. However, IMO it's essentially a factory load that's very nearly just a hot loaded .45-70 and has that supply issue but that's just me. .30-30 isn't a bad pick at all: back in the day it got a lot of folks to drop their old large-bullet BP rounds (like the .45-70) in its favor. Some of the game tackled with .30-30s and the distances game was shot with it back around the turn of the last century are eyebrow raising by today's views of the cartridge. Considering that my last rifle purchase was a '40s-vintage Model 94 that's getting an old Leupold scout-type mount installed, I'd be a hypocrite to recommend against it.
I like the .45-70: there are more guns in my safe in that chambering than any other centerfire cartridge. It's a fun round for playing with at the range and within the limits of the chosen load/bullet and its trajectory, it does quite a number on game.

-----------------
Of course I roll with my .45 a bit different...

Do tell. :mrgreen:
MVC-159F.JPG
Molasses

Next

Return to Long Guns