Who makes the closest vietnam era M16 clone?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Who makes the closest vietnam era M16 clone?

Postby Thunder71 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:27 pm

I was quoted so all I was looking for was some related information as to why the DPMS would be a poor choice, to which I have yet to hear. There seemed to be something about my response that he didn't care for, so I figured he'd have some story about how a DPMS malfunctioned, which wasn't brought out until later - turned out a magazine was the big issue, great - now we have 'something', only took 2 pages.

Why I was quoted in the first place is beyond me, you keep riding on the back of Paul's bike if you want, but I'm sure he can handle himself just fine.
Last edited by Thunder71 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thunder71

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:29 pm

Thunder71 wrote:I was quoted so I was looking for was some related information as to why the DPMS would be a poor choice, to which I have yet to hear.

Why I was quoted in the first place is beyond me, you keep riding on the back of Paul's bike if you want, but I'm sure he can handle himself just fine.

Don't worry, I hear it is a triple tandem so there is room for one more if you want to join them. ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby Paul on Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:33 pm

Thunder71 wrote:I was quoted so all I was looking for was some related information as to why the DPMS would be a poor choice, to which I have yet to hear. There seemed to be something about my response that he didn't care for, so I figured he'd have some story about how a DPMS malfunctioned, which wasn't brought out until later - turned out a magazine was the big issue, great - now we have 'something', only took 2 pages.

I didn't bring up the magazine issue. We're moving pretty fast today. Please try to keep up.

;)
Paul

Postby Hammered Squirrel on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:12 pm

: Popcorn:
Hammered Squirrel

Postby Thunder71 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:13 pm

Too late, the show is over... or at least I hope it's not just intermission.

Thunder71

Postby Paul on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Nice sig line.

:cheers:
Paul

Postby Thunder71 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:31 pm

Cheers! :cheers:

Thunder71

Postby Erud on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:48 pm

OP, what do you want to do with this rifle? I've had 2 DPMS AR15 rifles and 3 of their LR 308's. Still have a .308 with 2 different uppers that I like very much. It has always seemed to me like the .308's were coming from a whole different company than was producing the .223's. The 308's all were excellent fit and finish and the 2 of the 3 that I actually used (3 different uppers) were reliable and fairly accurate. The 24" upper that I still have is a solid 3/4 MOA shooter and the 16" AP4 is good for 1.25MOA-ish at the same distance. Not the most accurate rifles I own, but plenty serviceable and good for what they are. The .223's I was never terribly impressed with. No horrible problems or anything, just not up to par with the .308's. Sloppy upper/lower fit, tool marks, UGLY barrels, some of the creepiest triggers I've ever felt, mediocre (at best) accuracy, and cheap lower parts to name a few issues.

That said, they are decent rifles and if your price point is in that neighborhood and your expectations are not too high, it should work for you. If you can spend more, you can get something better. If you are looking for an A2 configuration off-the-shelf, I'd recommend the RRA NMA2. Good barrel, good sights, good parts, good trigger and great accuracy. They are very popular in Highpower Service Rifle competitions and all are sub-MOA accurate, with many being quite a bit better than that. Should be in the $1k -$1100 neighborhood. If you have a couple hundred more, you can get a White Oak Armament A2 upper and build yourself a lower with parts & trigger of your choice and have the best A2 on the planet.

If you should happen to want any info on HP competition, send me a PM.

Regards,
Erik
Erud

Postby FJ540 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:42 pm

hirdlej wrote:There's only so much I can type in the thread subject line so here it goes. I don't know a whole lot about "AR" based rifles, but they've always intrigued me. What I'm wanting to know is who today makes a semi-auto version of what the soldiers would have carried during vietnam? I don't want anything with a short barrel, collapsable stock, weird sights, rails on every surface, etc. I just want an AR that is chambered in .223, and would be be close to what a soldier would have had when the M16 was first introduced. I'd also prefer a rifle manufactured by a company who has done, or is still doing military contracts for the United States. Thanks in advance guys! My google-fu is poor. :)

You can buy A1 stocks, and triangular hand guards new. The A2 fixed stock is a little longer, and as such increases length of pull (which is a good thing on an AR in my opinion). `Nam era hand guards are pretty easy to convert to from the more recent ribbed round ones. The retaining plate behind the front sight post just needs to be swapped out (also readily available new). The forward assist was added while in the early stages of adaptation. They used a "tear drop" shaped button instead of the current round ones - also readily available new.

You'd need to go with Colt or Armalite for a period correct manufacturer. Colt is pretty proud of their stuff, so you will pay for it. I've owned a Colt AR15, and it was an excellent rifle. I've never shot an Armalite AR, and my M16A2 in the Army was a FN.
FJ540

Postby Ranger01 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:19 pm

This is probably what you want:
Colt SP1 (Gen 1)

Be warned though, the Gen 1 SP1s are NOT cheap. They start at around $1400 for a decent one, and the Gen 1s are rare as well. I'm looking for one so I can build myself an XM607 clone like this:
Ranger01

Postby grousemaster on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:29 pm

I love the A2 sights, but want the flexibility to go flat top....so a true A2 or A1 upper offers limitations I don't dig....YMMV.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby hirdlej on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:10 pm

I'm diggin' that Colt SP1 :) Why doesn't colt produce it anymore? I love my Colt 1911's, I might as well put another horse in the stable ;) I don't mind spending up to $1500 for a nice rifle. Do you think a NIB SP1 can be obtained for that?
hirdlej

Postby Ranger01 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:34 pm

They moved on to the SP II (SP= Sporter) series after they tooled up for the M16A2s and Now A4s (upper swap only). The Colts are nice, but unless you are looking for an M16/E1/A1 style there are equal/ better rifles for the price.

As far as the SP1s, I am pretty sure $1500 would get you a nice rifle. I know there was one at Bill's South a while back for around $1300 and there was one on here for around the same a few months ago (maybe a bit longer).

If you want the style and don't mind a build you could try these:
http://www.nodakspud.com/AR%20Lowers.htm

For a VN style rifle I'd recommend these parts:

"Retro" XM16A1 Lower (aka Partial Fence)
"Retro" NDS 601 Lower (aka No Fence or "Slab Side")

"Retro" NDS 604 Upper (aka Slick)
"Retro" NDS 603 (XM16E1)

A1 style are post VN only pretty much. (ETA: I mean certain parts on the lowers are post VN era style, and most people think of the M16 and XM16E1 when they think VN era M16)

This should help a bit:
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Colt_AR-15_Id ... tion_Guide
Ranger01

Postby jshuberg on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:32 pm

Just go for broke and pickup a Colt 601 :)
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =317580136

It's actually a NoDak Spud retro build, probably using an old 602 barrel. The furniture is close but not quite the right color green. Overall looks like a really nice rifle.

Note the seller is incorrect about this being an M16 copy, the 601 actually predated the military's adoption of the AR-15 platform by several years. However a small number were evaluated and field tested in Vietnam in 1960 as part of project AGILE. If you want a Vietnam era clone, this would be a nice choice.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Ranger01 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:56 pm

Eugh... Canada green...
Ranger01

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns