FNAR Assistance

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

FNAR Assistance

Postby DoxaPar on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:10 am

Good morning all!

I'm wondering if there is someone around who is familiar with the FNH FNAR. I recently purchased one and was hoping I could connect with someone experienced in disassembly / cleaning practices for a bit of a one-on-one guide through the process.

Maybe we can work out some sort of compensation for your time.

I've watched the YouTube videos and read the manual but there are a lot of "missing pieces" if you've never cleaned a rifle before. Moreover, I'm having issues with the magwell screws (as many others have) and am nervous about stripping them out.

Thanks!
DoxaPar

Re: FNAR Assistance

Postby samginko on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:45 am

I have one, currently working up a load using 175smk. I can give you tips, but too busy now for one to one guidance. Also, look at joining FNH forum.
samginko

Postby DoxaPar on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:03 pm

Thanks very much. I threw caution to the wind last night and just went for it. All went well.
DoxaPar

Postby arizona98tj on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:35 pm

Glad to hear you got your FNAR apart and back together.

Here is my FNAR.

arizona98tj

Postby arizona98tj on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:37 pm

samginko wrote:I have one, currently working up a load using 175smk. I can give you tips, but too busy now for one to one guidance. Also, look at joining FNH forum.

Any luck on a load? I've not found anything to write home about yet for mine but continue to work on it when I have the time.
arizona98tj

Postby samginko on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:13 am

I have been playing with rifle for almost two years now, following is what I did to my rifle.

The scope rail was loose, I bedded per instructions on the FNH forum.
Do not over tighten the screws on the receiver as the metal is aluminum.
I had the trigger adjusted by a gunsmith on the FNH forum to 2 1/2lbs pull.
played with the gas screw, but found out factory setting is most reliable in the below freezing temperature.
Unlike most rifles .010 from lands do not give consistent grouping, my rifle seems to have a sweet spot at .045 from the lands.
H4895 is the most consistent powder, start at the max than work down. I have used Varget with mixed results.
FGMM 168 is the only factory ammo to produce 1 moa. Producing a 1moa load was relatively easy even with varget.
168 SMK seems to group better than 175 SMK.
I have been trying to produce 1/2moa or better consistently, almost there I think.

With OldmanFCSA as my witness I was able to produce two different three shot groups at 200yds resulting in 1/2inch grouping. This was using varget and H4895.
Reproducing this results have been difficult. The experts at the Wolves' Den seems to think I am not trimming correctly.

I am currently set at .045 from the lands and 175 SMK and H4895 as the powder. I have new cartridges loaded for ladder testing, but finding time to go to the range has been difficult.

I can see the potential of the FNAR, but it's not the most loving rifle I have had. But, it has been fun tinkering with it.
samginko

Postby DoxaPar on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:34 am

arizona98tj wrote:Glad to hear you got your FNAR apart and back together.

Here is my FNAR.

I think I've seen that same photo on the FN Forums. :-P
DoxaPar

Return to Long Guns