AR Optics

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: AR Optics

Postby arizona98tj on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:15 pm

I won't recommend the DMS-1. Bought one, used it, broke it, retired it. It got a couple of bumps during a drill and the illuminated optic was history. The glass is of poor quality....you can see distortion around the edges....and it feels like it weighs a ton. It is certainly made in China. I would consider a Burris or some of the other mentioned. I run a 3.5x ACOG and don't regret price at all. It doesn't stop working when it gets bumped. :D
arizona98tj

Postby Dave Timm on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:24 am

For the money the MTAC that 115 recommended is tough to beat. I know a few guys running these in 3 gun and they run them hard, that impresses me. Also the Weaver optics lines have been looking really good too, got to play with some of them and also for the money they are really impressive.

For colors, my favorite is green, with red as a second choice, red is also most popular and available. I was really happy when trijicon started coming out with green illumination. The green is very bright and easy to pick up.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
Timm Arms Co.
Firearms and NFA Sales & Transfers, Gunsmith & Armorer Services
http://www.timmarms.com
Dave Timm

Postby cgrant26 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:14 am

arizona98tj wrote:I won't recommend the DMS-1. Bought one, used it, broke it, retired it. It got a couple of bumps during a drill and the illuminated optic was history. The glass is of poor quality....you can see distortion around the edges....and it feels like it weighs a ton. It is certainly made in China. I would consider a Burris or some of the other mentioned. I run a 3.5x ACOG and don't regret price at all. It doesn't stop working when it gets bumped. :D

To cite an old adage; buy once, cry once.
cgrant26

Postby UnaStamus on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:07 am

Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-5x24
or
Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40

Exceptional scopes that are very innovative and with great glass. Cabelas in Rogers has them in stock if you want to see them. By far one of the best AR type midrange optics on the market, IMO.
UnaStamus

Postby mnmike59 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:28 am

Dave-HuldraArms wrote:Right now I still love my Trijicon TR24 1-4 optic. On 1x its Aimpoint fast but has the magnification. Vortex also makes a very nice 1-4. There are also some really nice 1-6 scopes too but more money of course.

Do you have a budget?

+1000 On this ^
I love mine! Works really well for Boar hunting. Best of both worlds, quick sight or long range, walking or sitting. You cant beat it!
"Just remember boys, this is America. Just because you get more votes it doesn't mean you win."
Fox Mulder.
mnmike59

AR Optics

Postby Snowgun on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:34 am

UnaStamus wrote:Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-5x24
or

Exceptional scopes that are very innovative and with great glass. Cabelas in Rogers has them in stock if you want to see them. By far one of the best AR type midrange optics on the market, IMO.

How do these compare to the Leopold MRT M2?
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby UnaStamus on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:42 pm

Snowgun wrote:
UnaStamus wrote:Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-5x24
or

How do these compare to the Leopold MRT M2?

World of difference. The VX-R Patrols use a daylight visible FireDot reticle that acts like a red dot sight. The 3-9x is a bit more difficult to use at close range than the 1.25-5x, but either way you can get proficient with them if you practice and learn to shoot with binocular vision.
While the MR/Ts are still available, the VX-R Patrols are sort of like the MR/T upgrade/Gen2. Optical quality of the VX-R is about there with the Mark4s.
UnaStamus

AR Optics

Postby Snowgun on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:06 pm

Sorry, i meant the mark IV mr/t m2, the ones going for $ 800-1k. Are they that much better than the patrols?

Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby UnaStamus on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:36 am

Snowgun wrote:Sorry, i meant the mark IV mr/t m2, the ones going for $ 800-1k. Are they that much better than the patrols?

That's what I was talking about. If you put a VX-R Patrol side-by-side with a Mark4 (non 34mm tube model since that has upgraded glass and coatings), you'd be hard-pressed to see a difference in optical quality. Build quality is going to be the same. The benefit of the VX-R Patrol is that they are mil/mil adjustment, and they have the firedot. Plus, they're less expensive. Frankly, the Mark4 MR/T line is overpriced and not really very relevant anymore. Pretty much the entire Mark4 line is suffering at this point, IMO. I think Leupold effectively killed the MR/T line with the 1.25-4x and 3-9x Patrol scopes.
This is obviously open to interpretation, but if you don't want to step up to a higher grade scope like the Leupold Mark6, Vortex Razor HD or US Optics SR-8, the Patrol line is an excellent line of optics.
I've tried the Trijicon TR-24 also, and it's a great scope. For a 1-4x option, the Trijicon is much closer to a true 1x than the Leupold VX-R. For an SPR type scope. you'd be hard-pressed to find something better than the VX-R 3-9x without spending at least twice as much or more.
UnaStamus

Postby Snowgun on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:45 pm

What about the Meopta ZD 1-4? Anyone know about that?

Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Previous

Return to Long Guns