Cheek rest

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Cheek rest

Postby LumberZach on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:07 pm

What do people like to use for cheek rests on bolt action rifles? I want my cheek to be welded to this rifle when I am shooting. I am putting low rings, but I have never felt like I have had great cheek welds on regular scoped rifles. So what do people like?

Thanks
LumberZach

Re: Cheek rest

Postby xd ED on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:24 pm

Build up the comb with a small piece of carpeting. Cover/ hold in place with a shell holder.
Cost:
Carpet samples- free
Shell holder $5-15

or

If you you have time, talent, and some machinery, try THIS

LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Thunder71 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:27 pm

I know a guy in Kenyon that does great work.
Thunder71

Postby arizona98tj on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:53 pm

I installed a Karsten cheek rest on mine. Works nice.

arizona98tj

Postby SSBotanyBay on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:32 pm

Thunder71 wrote:I know a guy in Kenyon that does great work.

+1 for the Stock Shop
"There is nothing more uncommon than common sense."---Thomas Chalmers
SSBotanyBay

Re: Re: Cheek rest

Postby Thunder71 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:36 pm

SSBotanyBay wrote:
Thunder71 wrote:I know a guy in Kenyon that does great work.

+1 for the Stock Shop

That's the one! 8-)
Thunder71

Postby Hoot on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:53 pm

LumberZach wrote:What do people like to use for cheek rests on bolt action rifles? I want my cheek to be welded to this rifle when I am shooting. I am putting low rings, but I have never felt like I have had great cheek welds on regular scoped rifles. So what do people like?

Thanks

Aside from my two black rifle lowers, I either buy rifles with Monte Carlo stocks or replace the ones they come with with an affordable aftermarket Monte Carlo stock.
I enjoy doing the final finish on a stocks including sanding, so the partially finished stocks can be a great money saver and provide fun projects during the long winters. There sure are plenty of "How-To" articles and YouTube videos to coach you along. We are blessed with some very nice finishing products compared to the days when tung oil was the only game in town. Nothing wrong with Tung Oil which I also have, but some of the satin polyurethane finishes are excellent and cure quicker for the next coat. When a local hardware store went out of business, they did that 10% off each day to the point where is was like 70% on the last day. I picked up 10 different quarts of MinWax stains for a total of IIRC $40 something dollars with sales tax. I'm set for life on stains, though I'm not sure I'll ever do a stock in Fruitwood. :D

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Sammichman on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:22 pm

A couple of examples of the different style Cheek rests on some of my rifles
Bishop,,Fajen,,Boyds,,,The Boyds is about a year old,,the Fajen and Bishop are at least 20 years old maybe more
Attachments
P1000836.JPG
P1000826.JPG
P1000603.JPG
Sammichman

Postby hard h2o on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:59 pm

arizona98tj wrote:I installed a Karsten cheek rest on mine. Works nice.

That looks kind of odd to me. Shouldn't it be adjusted so that the end toward the butt is higher than the end toward the muzzle so that, on recoil, it doesn't push or slap you in the cheek?
hard h2o

Postby Hoot on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:05 pm

hard h2o wrote:
arizona98tj wrote:I installed a Karsten cheek rest on mine. Works nice.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/karsten/karsten-5.jpg

That looks kind of odd to me. Shouldn't it be adjusted so that the end toward the butt is higher than the end toward the muzzle so that, on recoil, it doesn't push or slap you in the cheek?

I think it's just the perspective of the photograph. Also, we all have slightly different physiques. I can't get a scope to work for me using a Remington 700 BDL with it''s native monte carlo stock unless I mount the scope so low that I have to remove the rear iron sight ramp. And they said my eyes were too wide for me to live. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby The Verminator on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:52 pm

Postby xd ED on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:24 pm
Build up the comb with a small piece of carpeting. Cover/ hold in place with a shell holder.
Cost:
Carpet samples- free
Shell holder $5-15

I like it!!!

Here I've been attaching the carpeting to my cheek!!! (Smack forehead!)
The Verminator

Postby LumberZach on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:00 am

Ok, I am thinking I will start out cheap and build up the comb with whatever I have laying around. I like the looks of that karsten, maybe one day.

Thanks guys.
LumberZach

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:06 pm

I don't understand why the Kydex wrap around comb risers are $50-$60 a pop... likely I'm just a clueless noob when it comes to shaping and cutting Kydex and then adding some off the shelf bolts & wing nuts but it seems like the basic design should cost less than Kydex Galco holsters I see at Gander for $32 a pop which involve a much more complex construction of different parts and a similar amount of material?

Any folks here do custom Kydex work that wants to take a crack at producing a few of these? I'd be glad to buy-test a couple and I bet you could flip them on eBay for $30-$40 each all day long and make some decent cha-ching.

Example: http://tacpro.com/product_info.php?products_id=20

A home-brew example: http://m14forum.com/m14/42837-home-made ... -rest.html
yuppiejr

Postby arizona98tj on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:24 pm

hard h2o wrote:That looks kind of odd to me. Shouldn't it be adjusted so that the end toward the butt is higher than the end toward the muzzle so that, on recoil, it doesn't push or slap you in the cheek?

You are quite correct....and that is how I run it. And the picture was taken before it ever made it to the range and I set it up. :)
arizona98tj

Postby 45Badger on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:00 am

yuppiejr wrote:I don't understand why the Kydex wrap around comb risers are $50-$60 a pop... likely I'm just a clueless noob when it comes to shaping and cutting Kydex and then adding some off the shelf bolts & wing nuts but it seems like the basic design should cost less than Kydex Galco holsters I see at Gander for $32 a pop which involve a much more complex construction of different parts and a similar amount of material?

Any folks here do custom Kydex work that wants to take a crack at producing a few of these? I'd be glad to buy-test a couple and I bet you could flip them on eBay for $30-$40 each all day long and make some decent cha-ching.

Example: http://tacpro.com/product_info.php?products_id=20

A home-brew example: http://m14forum.com/m14/42837-home-made ... -rest.html

It's called a value added solution 8-)

I use Eagle stock packs.
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Return to Long Guns