AR Compensator

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

AR Compensator

Postby northernbird on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:43 am

hey all - for you guys that shoot 3 gun, what sort of comps do you like? I was watching folks shoot last weekend and was pretty amazed at what a difference there was between those with a comp and those without. Additional noise to the shooter would be one thing I'd like to limit as much as possible, or reasonable I guess. There seems to be a ton of options and I guess I'd just like some guidance on where to even start. I'd like not to break the bank on this either.

Thanks
northernbird

Re: AR Compensator

Postby cgrant26 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:25 am

The standard A2 birdcage is actually a very good compromise between flash reduction, noise and muzzle rise/recoil. As with almost anything, it's always a compromise though. You'll never find anything that excells at all three. If you want a good comp with no regard for noise or flash, then I'd personally go with a Miculek, SJC titan, or JP brake. (really, there are several great brakes out there) For a bit more of an even compromise, I like PWS, Battlecomp or Surefire MB556K. I'm Cheap so out of the afore mentioned comps/brakes, I'd go with Miculek for an all-out brake or PWS for something that you can shoot without annoying those around you.

As is, the recoil on a 5.56/223 AR is light enough for me that a Smith Vortex is all I need. Of course I don't shoot competitively so take anything I say with a grain of salt.
cgrant26

Postby Keith on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:23 am

My 3-gun rifle has the Cooley comp but, to be honest, I have several different types of brakes and really can't tell the difference between them, other than some may seem louder than others. (Sideblast, etc)

Some more to look at on the lower end of the cost spectrum are from Nordic Components. Made in MN and big supporters of the shooting sports.
http://shop.nordiccomp.com/Compensators_c18.htm

The new Bravo Company hybrid is now becoming available and supposed to be better for sideblast. I wouldn't mind trying one but don't really feel the need to spend another $90 right now.
http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=1047

Also, most matches have rules about brake size which rules out the JP tank brake unless you are shooting in open division. MN 3gun group rules are no bigger than 1" diameter X 3" long for tactical divisions. As far as I know that only rules out the JP.
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Postby Hmac on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:03 am

The AR15 doesn't have a huge amount of recoil, but I do find that the BattleComp 1.0 that I have on three of my rifles (two of them SBR's) does mitigate muzzle deviation and make it noticeably easier to keep the rifle on target for followup shots. I did have a PWS 556 at one time a couple of years ago. It worked well too but had more blast and noise.
Hmac

Postby rugersol on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:28 am

I think it depends on what ya wanna spend?!

... on the high end, ya got the SJC Titan and the Benny Hill Rolling Thunder fer over $100/ea!

... on the lower end, ya got the Miculek, and the Nordic's ... I got this one ...

... I ran it side-by-side vs. an SJC Titan ... I couldn't tell any difference!

... I've since bought 'nother one!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby FJ540 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:30 am

If you want noise and flash reduction, but no compensation, my STD's can't be beat. Same size as an A2.
FJ540

Postby shooter115 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:41 am

It was nice to met you at the match northernbird. Any good comp that I've seen is going to be loud. Yes some are louder than others, but they are all loud. As far as I know there's just no getting around it, at least until suppressors are legal here in MN. That said, it's almost a necessary evil if you want to excel at 3-gun.

As mentioned above the Nordic Corvette comp is a good comp without breaking the bank as is the DPMS Miculek brake.

I've got a Benny Hill "Rolling Thunder" comp on my personal 3-gun rifle. The SJC is very popular with shooters as well.

Good place to look for a good deal on a used comp is the classifieds over on the Brian Enos Forum. 3-gunners are constant tinkerers and always looking for the latest gadget that might give them an edge over the competition. The last "best thing out there" gets sold over there on a pretty regular basis.

FJ540 wrote:If you want noise and flash reduction, but no compensation, my STD's can't be beat. Same size as an A2.

Careful.....they come with a side effect of itching and burning.
Last edited by shooter115 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
shooter115

Postby FJ540 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:50 am

It's an itching trigger finger and a burning desire to send lead down range. :lol:
FJ540

Postby northernbird on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:13 am

Haha.. Thanks for the great responses everyone. Ill check out the classifieds and see whats out there or i think ill try out the nordic corvette.

Thanks again.
northernbird

Postby FJ540 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:24 am

.223 STD's are about 2 weeks out for significant volumes, but I will have a couple more for sale this week.
FJ540

Postby MNGunGuy on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:21 pm

Does the Surefire MB556K not get a lot of love due to the price or are the other popular ones truly better?
MNGunGuy

Postby Hmac on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:46 pm

MNGunGuy wrote:Does the Surefire MB556K not get a lot of love due to the price or are the other popular ones truly better?

I shot next to a guy shooting one at a course a few years ago. Man, that thing had an obnoxious bark. I lost interest in tht brand.
Hmac

Postby BC98 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:32 pm

Hmac wrote:
MNGunGuy wrote:Does the Surefire MB556K not get a lot of love due to the price or are the other popular ones truly better?

I shot next to a guy shooting one at a course a few years ago. Man, that thing had an obnoxious bark. I lost interest in tht brand.

It's much better to be the one BEHIND the gun (i.e. shooting) with an MB556K. I've ran one on an SBR and a 16" and it keeps the gun amazingly flat (my red dot barely moves) and pulls the recoil down to almost nothing. The price is high which may turn people off to them.
BC98

Postby rukwikenuf on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:53 pm

i'm a fan of the Rainier Arms Tactical Compensator, as well as the PWS FSC556 it works pretty well at both flash and compensating, however.... i'm the first person that FJ gave an STD to (hehehe) and it's GREAT! i've got it mounted on my 10" pistol

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/d ... ct_id=1684 <---Rainier unit
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/d ... uct_id=821 <----PWS unit
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby rugersol on Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:38 pm

rukwikenuf wrote:it's GREAT! i've got it mounted on my 10" pistol

pics... er it didn't happen!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Next

Return to Long Guns