Chamber length in Douglas Air Gauge .300 win mag

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Chamber length in Douglas Air Gauge .300 win mag

Postby user293 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:47 am

so I got a new barrel on my 300 last fall, and have begun loading for it. ive noticed that my chamber was reamed for looong rounds. ive seated down in my chamber two bullets. a barnes 175 gr. LRX have a OAL in my chamber at 3.607. I know the bullets long as it, but that's out there. and a sierra match king 175 grain has an OAL of 3.530 now my gun has shown to like its rounds about 30 thousands off the lands. but that's still one long bullet. should I be concerned about this OAL? maybe they meant for the barrel to shoot heavier bullets? 180gr is the heaviest ive tried. they shoot ok, however im not impressed with the accuracy of the barnes LRX. ive barely been able to pull a sub MOA group at a 100 yards, and I got one of the best barrels you can get from douglas. but ive got more bullets to try.
TommyMN wrote:This site is full of dicks. It's why I like it.
user293

Re: Chamber length in Douglas Air Gauge .300 win mag

Postby Slayer_MN1 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:56 pm

What's your twist rate? if you intend to shoot looong range a little extra room in the throat is a good thing. My 300WSM with a Brux 1-10" twist loves Berger 210Vld's seated right up next to the lands.
"From time to time the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants, and patriots."

Aquitas et Veritas
Slayer_MN1

Postby user293 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:05 pm

twist is 1:10. I mean that's cool IF im gonna over a grand. but im not so a barrel reamed for round .200 over spec is a little weird to me
TommyMN wrote:This site is full of dicks. It's why I like it.
user293

Postby Hoot on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:52 am

300's are often chambered with a leade that will accommodate heavy round nosed bullets, which use a lot of leade. My Browning came chambered that way, but it was not a custom build. No way I could get my 180gr TSX anywhere near the lands and still fit the cartridge in the magazine. I was however, able to arrive at a jump that yielded good groups through experimentation, that did fit.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Long Guns