Different types of rimfire...

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Different types of rimfire...

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:13 am

I have been kickin around the idea of picking up a rimfire gun for varmint hunting since there are sooo many coyotes around my house. I want something with more power than a .22 LR.

I love the .17 HMR but I'm not sure how it stacks up against a .22 LR. Where I live it would be hard to get a shot over a 100 yards. So save the comments about how I need something bigger than a .22 to kill a coyote. It's about safety for people around where I live and such and using a shotgun doesn't seem like much of a challenge.

I didn't realize how many different types of .22s and .17s there were until I started researching. I want something that is still relatively easy to find ammo for.

Any input on calibers would be appreciated.
sgruenhagen44

Re: Different types of rimfire...

Postby grimbeaver on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:36 am

You'll find the wikipedia page for 17HMR has some pros and cons vs 22LR and 22WMR:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.17_HMR

Here's a pretty good write up too:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_17HMR_22WMR.htm

There's only 3 kinds of 22 right? Short, LongRilfe and WMR.
grimbeaver

Postby MnHornet on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:42 am

I would think the HMR or 22 Mag would be ok at that range.
I'd go 22 Hornet myself, but I'm biased.
Proud to be Deplorable.
MnHornet

Postby Squib Joe on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:47 am

I would wait and get a 17 Super Mag rimfire. 20gr bullet moving at 3000fps in a rimfire would let you get out past 300 yards should you ever need to

The only problem is finding one, the only one out there so far is a Savage B Mag and they are very hard to find

http://www.savagearms.com/bmag/bmag/
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Sigfan220 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:08 am

If you are just hunting get a 223 or 22-250. The ammo may be a little more but will really pack a punch. Plus ammo is really the smallest cost. Look at how much you will spend on the rifle, scope and gas driving to the store to buy ammo and driving to the hunting spots. But that's just me, I like to have a little more gun than needed when varmint hunting. The 17HMR really gets pushed around by the wind compared to larger rounds.

We have had guys bring 17HMR's out to South Dakota and they work OK. But a 223 will blow them away any day. An entry level Savage shouldn't cost much more than a 17HMR or 17WSM.

If you are going to use if for plinking or target shooting and don't reload then yeah a 17HMR or 17WSM would make sense. Otherwise spend the extra $100 and get a centerfire.
Sigfan220

Postby smurfman on Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:22 am

I find it quite challenging to get within shotgun range of a coyote, they are quite adept at figuring out what is real and what is not.
Those familiar with coyotes do not think them easy regardless of weapon choice.

I would choose the 22 WMR over either the 17 HMR or 22 LR hands down. I've shot many coyotes with a 22LR but the overwhelming majority were at close range as their foot was in a trap. I don't think much of the 22LR at much more than shotgun range as I feel it lacks the velocity and bullet construction for best results. Its either a hollow point with which I had some issues at even close range or a solid which penetrated better but would not transmit shock and tissue destruction leading to a quick death. There is something neighbors don't like about finding dead animals in their yards.

I am not a fan of the 17 HMR for larger animals either. It is not something it was designed for and doing so is asking for trouble in my opinion. I've taken fox, raccoons, woodchucks, and feral cats with one and I was not impressed with the results of even the 20 gr soft points. Penetration was lacking at close range and at longer range I didn't feel the bullet had enough frontal area nor mass for quick results.

I have used a 22 mag for a number of years for coyotes out to 100 yards in built up areas. It was pretty effective with good hits when I used either the Remington 40 gr soft points or the Federal 50 gr hollow points. The first stayed together well and the latter's weight and lower velocity did not allow a quick expansion of the bullet allowing for deeper penetration. Its low report is also a benefit as it does not cause much consternation with neighbors. That can't necessarily be said with the 17 HMR as it has a sharper report, at least to me. I can see this as a disadvantage with the new 17 Super mag even more.

These are my biases, odds are others will have different ones.
smurfman

Postby bensdad on Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:46 pm

in my experience (grew up on a hobby farm in the sticks - still live there today. dispatched more pests than I could possibly remember) there is no rimfire that can be relied upon for humane kills on free-roaming nuisance animals. Rimfires are for plinking, practice and dispatch of trapped/wounded.

They're fine for squirrels and rabbits and such. A yote or a going away coon is another matter entirely.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:01 pm

Only problem with .223 is I'm not sure if I can use that around here. That and .22-250 would be my first choice. I live in wright county. It's shotgun zone for deer, so does that mean centerfire is off limits? Anyone know the answer to that?
sgruenhagen44

Postby Sigfan220 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:17 pm

That's just for deer hunting. You can use whatever you want for other critters.
Sigfan220

Postby Sigfan220 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:19 pm

I should add - unless otherwise posted. There are plenty of public hunting areas that have ammo restrictions, these would be the areas close to cities.
Sigfan220

Postby infidel on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:22 pm

I am a big fan of .22WMR. .22WMR normally is cheaper and more readily available than the .17's. With .22mag, there is also more handgun options, like the PMR-30 or revolvers. This way you have an excuse to buy a rifle and a pistol.
“If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.” - John Ashley

Disclaimer: Do not assume from this post, that I either agree or disagree with any other issue brought up in this thread.
infidel

Postby LarryFlew on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:35 pm

While I really love my Volguartsen 17HMR a gopher fart would through it off of target at 100 yards. Great for paper as it groups less than an inch at 100 but not sure it would have enough punch to do much to an animal at that range. Most of your energy is in speed, not heavy bullet although they do really blow apart a pumpkin not too many pumpkins are a problem.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby grimbeaver on Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:20 pm

Wish I could walk around my yard and shoot voles with my 22LR pistol but pretty sure in Brooklyn Park the cops would show up. This fall I managed to stomp and kill 4 while mowing. I'm tempted to get a bb gun.
grimbeaver

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:21 pm

How do yall feel about savage arms? I think I'll end up gettin one of those or a ruger american cuz I don't want to spend a ton of dough on a rifle that I will never shoot past 200 yards. Doesn't make much sense.
sgruenhagen44

Postby Sigfan220 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:52 pm

sgruenhagen44 wrote:How do yall feel about savage arms? I think I'll end up gettin one of those or a ruger american cuz I don't want to spend a ton of dough on a rifle that I will never shoot past 200 yards. Doesn't make much sense.

I have an older Savage 110 in 30-06. I love it!! I have probably shot 2,000 rounds through it in the past two years. It is one of my main target test guns.

I also have a new Savage 110 FCP in 338LM. I like this one more than the 30-06. More due to the cartridge than anything. But this one has the acutrigger which is a huge step up from the old Savage triggers.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Savage or Ruger. Not sure about the Axis but the other savages 10, 110 , 12 , 112 etc can be had pretty cheap used. Maybe somebody can provide insight on the Axis as an option??
Sigfan220

Next

Return to Long Guns